Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

No bargirls in Malaysia- not going to attract anyone that likes girls.

I did a visa run to Penang. They'd have to pay me to live there.

Oh yes there is! Looked at Malasia for retirement. They'd have to pay me too to live there.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speak for yourself. You obviously know nothing about how much I spent.

What you spent is of no importance, as times change and with other countries like changing the rules, just take UK as an example why shouldn't Thailand do the same. 

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I wonder if you will feel the same way when the goal posts have been changed for yourself, and for sure they will be, in the future.  

What silly thing to say.

So what would the goal post move be, have you more insight for what's going to happen or are you in trouble already.

12 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

The Thai Health Promotion Foundation recently issued a statement that domestic violence is on the rise, due to strained finances and increased alcohol consumption, due to Covid.

How is Covid primarily hitting the economy in this country? One has only to look at the shuttered businesses: bars, restaurants, hotels, vans, taxis, airlines, and some retail. All of which were fueled by tourism.

All of this trickles down into all corners of Thai society. All those workers are now spending less. All of them are less able to support their families. Then all of the places where they spent their money are feeling the same. The hi-sos certainly aren't feeling the pinch, but they're quite the minority. This pinch is being felt by the majority.

Now, whose income hasn't been affected, and thankfully has remained rather steady? All of those incoming pensions. They aren't being charitable? I'm sure they have family members who've had their hands out due to their impacted incomes, and I doubt they've been saying no. I know because I'm one of them, tho I am just an English teacher. I've been paying electric bills and buying groceries for some family these past few months, since the lockdowns began.

No, we're hardly the saviors of the Thais, I'm not asking for that designation. But to say we're just a drop in the ocean is ridiculous. We're definitely making a much needed contribution in the absence of tourism, upon which this country is heavily dependent. Their face saving culture loves to tell us otherwise. But just look at the shuttered businesses, all of those struggling, and the effects which cannot be ignored, that we hear about in the news each day.

You are a drop in the ocean if you realize there are 66 million people in Thailand.

The percentage of foreign school teachers helping their families is probably 0.00001%

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

And bashing of course. Sigh.

better than the thais who are looking for a reason to to cause bodily harm to foreigners. 

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It is my experience that most of the ordinary Thai people are happy to have us here, it is people in authority ie, the deputy "PM" and his soldier pals who don't want us here.

I beg to differ. They smile at our faces but in their hearts they curse us. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

better than the thais who are looking for a reason to to cause bodily harm to foreigners. 

I beg to differ. They smile at our faces but in their hearts they curse us. 

If I honestly felt like that, not only would I never visit Thailand again but I'd never visit a forum dedicated to discussing living in Thailand again... 

Unless I was some kind of missionary on a mission to save all of us poor Farang?

Are you??? 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, lopburi3 said:

They most surly have.  Income was required to be verified by Embassy which most can not reliably do (even if they say otherwise).  So now a convoluted system of bank statements and financial paperwork for many.  Most of yearly 800k can no longer be used to support your stay as must be in account 5 months at full 800k and 7 months allowed to drop to 400k.  This is a major change for those that have emergency bills to pay but any dip in bank account could put them into illegal stay status.  

you can blame those requirements on those trying to circumvent the  immigration systems in place, considering all the riff raff here, it's lucky it's not worse..

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

But surely these old, bald, fat, grumpy men from failed marriages and families in their native countries are the true saviours of these simple impoverised Thai people? After all they married a native poor girl just to give her and her family a better life.????. They are so kind and the country would fall apart without the vast sums of money they spend here. 

a lot better than other hiso thais who dont even consider anyone outside of bangkok as a human.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

I get sick of retirees thinking they are absolutely vital to the Thai economy and believe the solution to all Thailand problems is too “drop the ridiculous requirements for retirees”

all you have to do is prove you are solvent and won’t be a burden on the county

I am not a retiree. i am not even 40. i am not a westerner too.

What I was trying to say in this topic was that how those retirees are the reason a few people are able to feed themselves and their families that's all. I expect some appreciation for the older people who are living there and supporting local businesses. Though its a drop in the ocean but those who are benefitting from them are certainly thankful to them. 

There are so many ways that people who don't even have money get the 1yr visa. The agents solve it all. But that is not what I am talking about over here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Ridiculous posts like this should be strangled at birth. 

Nothing is difficult for retirees. Keep a few thou in a Thai bank or show monthly income from outside Thailand.

HAVE SOME BLOODY INSURANCE, surely that's a no brainer anyway? 

Otherwise, just shut your mouth and keep a low profile, you're always just a guest. 

It's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than living in many countries. And nicer. 

the thread was about pattaya, retirees and local businesses who haven't closed because retired farangs are supporting them. but somehow the topic got diverted.

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

If I honestly felt like that, not only would I never visit Thailand again but I'd never visit a forum dedicated to discussing living in Thailand again... 

Oh!! So you are saying just because I don't like thai people anymore, does it mean I should not visit the country to meet the girl I love? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You are a drop in the ocean if you realize there are 66 million people in Thailand.

The percentage of foreign school teachers helping their families is probably 0.00001%

There’s also the other farangs with much better jobs and salaries than me. I overhear their convos in the Sukhumvit pubs. They certainly have their familial obligations.

Then there’s all the retirees with their pensions.

Then there’s all the “stranded” tourists on Covid extensions. They’ve certainly been living off something. Money from abroad.

Compare this to the help the Thai government has been giving them. The help so woefully lacking, that there are lines going down streets to food being handed out, by private charities. That suicides and domestic violence are up. We’re hardly doing anything? Better check your math again, friend.

My years on the TVF, and this “expat-itus” as it’s been called, still gets me every time. This extreme slant toward negativity, to put others down, to be the top dog. People who had problems at home who made their escape. Of course they can’t fit into this culture either. They certainly can’t take their frustrations out on the Thais, as they know how that will go. So here they have their keyboards. Ah.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Compare this to the help the Thai government has been giving them. The help so woefully lacking, that there are lines going down streets to food being handed out, by private charities.

The man I spoke with is a friend and I only tried to share his thoughts with others. 

He didn't close the shop and run to his country only because some westerners visit his shop, order food and he is surviving. he is able to take care of his family back home,provide salary to the staff , pay bills etc. If there were no westerners he had only one choice. Close the shop and flee. 

Edited by lovethai123