Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

5 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

the thread was about pattaya, retirees and local businesses who haven't closed because retired farangs are supporting them. but somehow the topic got diverted.

You made a clear point:

"I wonder why the authorities are making it harder and harder for the retirees to live in Thailand". 

I only pointed out that that's not correct, commenting specifically on your post, no diversions.

The junta may be **** at running a country, but they don't have it in for retirees who can support themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Speedhump said:

The junta may be **** at running a country, but they don't have it in for retirees who can support themselves. 

Thnx for clearing it up. Now I understand that those who can show 400k/800k in a thai bank have no issues staying in Thailand. 

People I have met in the bar keep complaining how they cannot do visa runs anymore and other things. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Thnx for clearing it up. Now I understand that those who can show 400k/800k in a thai bank have no issues staying in Thailand. 

People I have met in the bar keep complaining how they cannot do visa runs anymore and other things. 

Yes I'm sure that's correct, that loophole has been tightened. People wanting to stay long term should act like it and get the proper visa. Again, I have no problem with that. I personally don't know anyone who flits across borders to stay in Thailand long-term but I know they exist. 

• Like 2

One thing I noticed for many years is that those over 50 in Thailand think the world revolves around them. 

This is not a new trend. It started way back when the majority over 50 were complaining about backpackers, back to back visa tourists, teachers, their young bargirls who ripped them off, etc etc while thinking their superior retirement visa/extension will allow them to live in Thailand indefinitely. 

Meanwhile their pensions have shrunk due poor exchange rate, the Chinese have bought all the nice condos while they are renting in Niran and scraping by on 99 baht breakfast special. Oh and Indians have taken all their bargirls. 

So..... Q

If a bunch of Chinese shop at 7/11 as most of these old men who lost the plot claim doesn't that also mean they are not supporting local economy? Most of the 7/11 shops are run by people who invested in a franchise and are just normal people and not a big bad corporation. How about backpackers who would always buy from markets outside? How about those poor pesky teflers who actually paid taxes? 

I'm 47 and I'll be leaving before I hit this dreaded age. I'm sure Thailand won't miss my weekly spend at Sizzler. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Indians avoid paying the barfines. You won't find them in bars or go gos. They would find the "girlfriend" right there at the beautiful pattaya beach. 

Glad you refuted me on this important issue. How about the rest? 

10 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

But surely these old, bald, fat, grumpy men from failed marriages and families in their native countries are the true saviours of these simple impoverised Thai people? After all they married a native poor girl just to give her and her family a better life.????. They are so kind and the country would fall apart without the vast sums of money they spend here. 

they actually think they are tho. I remember talking to one bloke in Pattaya who referred to Laem Chabang Port as “a load of <deleted>”

“It’s people like me who keep this country going”

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

while thinking their superior retirement visa/extension will allow them to live in Thailand indefinitely. 

A common myth and source of much schoolmarmin' and Dire Warnings on the forum. Everybody knows the terms of the visas/extensions and takes them into consideration, except perhaps for a few idiots who wouldn't be posting here anyway or listening to anything if they did.

3 hours ago, Pravda said:

If a bunch of Chinese shop at 7/11 as most of these old men who lost the plot claim doesn't that also mean they are not supporting local economy?

Age is no determinant. Complaining is universal here and anti-Chinese bigotry rampant. Chinese are shopping everywhere, notably in the malls, but TAT: TVF refuses to see them, or Thais, or any Asians in fact while spouting that nonsense about 7/11s only. The current crisis does suggest what a large effect their spending really had and how little expat spending is compensating for its loss. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Age is no determinant. Complaining is universal here and anti-Chinese bigotry rampant. 

absolutely!

the utter tripe you hear and read about Chinese being “prioritised” baffles me. Please give me one example as to how they are prioritised, people?

“it’s clear they don’t want us here” etc

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Oh!! So you are saying just because I don't like thai people anymore, does it mean I should not visit the country to meet the girl I love? 

You need to change your username...you clearly don't love Thai at all.

If you don't like Thai people how can you have one as a girlfriend? 

3 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

absolutely!

the utter tripe you hear and read about Chinese being “prioritised” baffles me. Please give me one example as to how they are prioritised, people?

“it’s clear they don’t want us here” etc

Just kicked out a bunch of them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The money Thailand takes in from ex-pats annually reverberates out in countless ways. Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. Nobody knows for sure how much money we are talking about, but I know how much I spend every month here, and have alot of friends who spend a bundle. 

Perspective, gratitude, appreciation, and humility are what is needed from this toxic and xenophobic administration. We are not asking for plaques, awards and honorary recognition. Just a reasonable amount of respect. In so many nations, the ex-pat population is treated well. Here, the level of toxic racism has filtered down throughout much of the government. 

I don't often feel it from the general population. Most are delightful people. But, there are a huge number of very ignorant fools in this administration.

it contributes, but come on, it’s absolutely tiny compared to farming, manufacturing, finance etc. You know all those things that matter in the real world.

if ex pats contributed as much as they thought they did, they would be given cabinet posts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

I get sick of retirees thinking they are absolutely vital to the Thai economy and believe the solution to all Thailand problems is too “drop the ridiculous requirements for retirees”

all you have to do is prove you are solvent and won’t be a burden on the county

and to stop supporting and condoning corruption would be a great first step also..

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

A common myth and source of much schoolmarmin' and Dire Warnings on the forum. Everybody knows the terms of the visas/extensions and takes them into consideration, except perhaps for a few idiots who wouldn't be posting here anyway or listening to anything if they did.

Age is no determinant. Complaining is universal here and anti-Chinese bigotry rampant. Chinese are shopping everywhere, notably in the malls, but TAT: TVF refuses to see them, or Thais, or any Asians in fact while spouting that nonsense about 7/11s only. The current crisis does suggest what a large effect their spending really had and how little expat spending is compensating for its loss. 

ever heard of the chiense zero dollar tours? 

how is the chinese helping the poor and the maginalised? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

You need to change your username...you clearly don't love Thai at all.

If you don't like Thai people how can you have one as a girlfriend? 

Love knows no boundaries of race, colour, nationality.  I liked thailand initially but after I saw the racism there and other ugly things, i changed my opinion.

What i still like is how I can get to sleep with a teacher, bank employee, hotel /restaurant staff so easily. Even though I am fat and ugly, the wallet provides cover.  But since I have a "girlfriend" and I paid for her English classes, it has become difficult to fool her. Now I can't go to see other women if I am in Thailand. 

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

the 'great sums of cash' that expats bestow on Thailand is but a few grains of sand on the beach and if one thing covid has taught the Thais it's that they can live without this tourism money which comes with a higher price than it's value. This country is on the edge from the damage from tourism/foreigners residing here but it is rebounding nicely, hopefully going forward it limits the arrivals..

On the one hand I agree that Thais have learned that tourism isn't a guaranteed, and I definitely think a real reduction in tourists would benefit the environment. However I fear that while restricting farang tourists they will go back to huge numbers of Chinese tourists destroying everything in their path as happened to Maya Bay.

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2020 at 1:22 PM, lovethai123 said:

my point is that farang retirees have been finding it hard to continue living in thailand due to visa rules

I'm not finding it difficult...one day per year at Immigration....364 days of non interference...no home visits, no police checks...no interference in my life whatsoever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

a handsome 80yr old british expant told me, a foreigner's value in a thai household is worse than a pet animal.

let me correct that for you: "a handsum 80 year old British(capitalize !) straight up old fool told me, "

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Perspective, gratitude, appreciation, and humility are what is needed from this toxic and xenophobic administration. We are not asking for plaques, awards and honorary recognition. Just a reasonable amount of respect.

Dreaming much?

I've been visiting and living in LOS for decades, but IMO officialdom only tolerated us because we brought hard currency.

BTW, scams didn't start this century.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Just last week. A friend who has known a 43 year old woman with two kids, for 60 days, proposed to her, and got roped into 250,000 baht sinsod, and 350,000 in gold. What was her real value? And he will likely be building her a home sometime soon. Some guys do not know the definition of pushback, and setting your own agenda, and taking your time.

I know what you are trying to say, but I didn't rush and the result was the same.

Re the quote, IMO it goes to show how toxic male/ female relationships have become in the west when men go crazy over the first woman to show them any caring. I tried with a western female and NEVER AGAIN will I trust a western female. The indoctrination has been going on for decades and has worked, IMO.

I never met a woman that showed me any nice attention till I discovered Thailand. My western partner only waited till I'd bought the house ( that she later got ) before showing her true colours. I know a western woman that divorced her very nice husband because she thought he was too boring, and married a nasty thug- go figure that out!

When I discovered Thai women I was astounded that they were so nice to me, and I wasn't giving them loadsacash or gold or anything like that- just treating them with respect.

If I made a mistake with Thai women it was that I was too respectful to my wife and she ( and her family ) took that as being weak and willing to give them all my money. When I wouldn't the fix was in and I was gone soon enough.

Which is why I wish I'd stuck with renting- cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know what you are trying to say, but I didn't rush and the result was the same.

Re the quote, IMO it goes to show how toxic male/ female relationships have become in the west when men go crazy over the first woman to show them any caring. I tried with a western female and NEVER AGAIN will I trust a western female. The indoctrination has been going on for decades and has worked, IMO.

I never met a woman that showed me any nice attention till I discovered Thailand. My western partner only waited till I'd bought the house ( that she later got ) before showing her true colours. I know a western woman that divorced her very nice husband because she thought he was too boring, and married a nasty thug- go figure that out!

When I discovered Thai women I was astounded that they were so nice to me, and I wasn't giving them loadsacash or gold or anything like that- just treating them with respect.

If I made a mistake with Thai women it was that I was too respectful to my wife and she ( and her family ) took that as being weak and willing to give them all my money. When I wouldn't the fix was in and I was gone soon enough.

Which is why I wish I'd stuck with renting- cheaper in the long run.

I think what you are saying about being too kind, or too respectful has some merit. It is best to always hold something back. Thai women really seem to respect strength and power in a man. And this applies to his ability to say NO, to take his time, to not be a pushover, and to be willing to make decisions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

I think what you are saying about being too kind, or too respectful has some merit. It is best to always hold something back. Thai women really seem to respect strength and power in a man. And this applies to his ability to say NO, to take his time, to not be a pushover, and to be willing to make decisions. 

Thanks, but I'm not going to change myself just to play some power game with a person I love. When I married her I was completely open about all that I was. Sadly, other people really like to play relationship games.

BTW, we were perfectly happy till she convinced me to move to the village and her toxic family got to work on her. The first year we had together in Pattaya far away from the family was true bliss. Where I really messed up was not returning to Pattaya with her, but I was foolish and thought that it would work out if I hung in there. By the time I realised it was over it was too late, and divorce became the only option.

As an example of how evil they were, when we had got divorced I returned to home country, but she agreed to keep a suitcase of stuff I needed when I returned for my last year in LOS ( without her ). She was living with them at that time, and they stole everything out of my suitcase- cut the lock off. I didn't even get my clothes back.

• Sad 2