Thank you farang retirees

lovethai123

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They used to want us. Times changed.

I can live with the fact that some Thais are now showing some kind of " hostility ".

It will be a serious problem if the government would create laws/regulations, which will make the long stay here, quasi impossible for a great number of us.

Thinking for instance, the only way to reside here, being a Elite Visa Membership.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, polpott said:

No they haven't.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, polpott said:

Yes, loopholes could be closed in the future,

You have contradicted yourself.  

Ask some snowbirds why they won't be coming to Thailand in the future, Covid aside.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, we were perfectly happy till she convinced me to move to the village and her toxic family got to work on her.

I think the family would have "got to work on her" long before your move to the village.   ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Thinking for instance, the only way to reside here, being a Elite Visa Membership.

The obvious one will be increasing the 800k required in a Thai bank to something like 1.3 million, possibly more.  Only a matter of time.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The obvious one will be increasing the 800k required in a Thai bank to something like 1.3 million, possibly more.  Only a matter of time.  

When they will do this, they may change the amount of monthly transfer too ( 65000 ).

As well as the money based on income in homeland (65000 monthly ).

Or than not.

15 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

When they will do this, they may change the amount of monthly transfer too ( 65000 ).

Or than not.

I have no idea when they will do it.  My point being, they can, and probably will, in the future. 

Always have a Plan B.     

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 7:18 PM, bkk6060 said:

So, you make it a habit of sharing your income and financial situation with Thai people?

Why?

In some cases there was no choice. Paperwork. I certainly don't "share" my financial situation any more than required.

Why do retirees believe they are the sole supporters of the Thai economy? Let's have a look at the real situation from other farang reporting to the news in Pattaya

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-s-foreign-retirees-see-their-good-life-slip-away

For those living here on fixed savings or pensions, the baht's strength has decimated their income. British expats have lost about 30% of their purchasing power following the pound's plummet in the wake of Brexit.

The financial squeeze comes amid changes to visa rules for retirees. As of February last year, foreigners must have a security deposit of 800,000 baht ($25,364) in a Thai bank account for two months prior to application or a monthly income of 65,000 baht; or a combination of the two totaling 800,000 baht.

Applicants must now also have health insurance. For someone aged 75, for example, that is a "big problem" as the premium could be as much as 100,000 baht per month, said Sebastian Brousseau, CEO of Isaan Lawyers.

Gerry, a U.S. Navy veteran who declined to give his last name, first visited back then and has stayed ever since. At 83, alone and estranged from his family, Gerry has built his life here. But barely able to cover his living costs, let alone the deposit he now needs for a visa, he feels trapped, having been "out of the U.S. system" for more than 30 years.

"I'm too old and too scared to go anywhere else," he said.

Gerry does not own property here, but for those who do, a downturn in the real estate market has dashed their chances of a quick sell.

Thailand issued almost 80,000 retirement visas in 2018, an increase of 30% from 2014, with Britons accounting for the bulk.

Research by Kasikornthai Bank estimated that in 2016, there were 68,300 foreigners over 50 years old holding long-stay visas, a 9% increase over the preceding two years.

The market's niche but lucrative potential is prompting huge investment from health care operators.

So to summarize - there aren't that many pensioners here, only a mere 80,000. That figure looks miniscule in comparisson to tourists - they estimated that there were 400,000 tourist visa holders at the last amnesty announcement.

Pensioners purchasing power has been drastically reduced and most of there funds go towards healthcare.

Condominium market has evaporated due to over supply and over priced market value so their homes are no longer worth what they once were.

It was a bit obvious really when the OP said "A non Thai (farang) thanked us" - that's because the Thai's know better- it's the tourists,  younger people who still make money from remote working, married guys with businesses etc who all contribute a lot more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Or than not.

As I have said previously, the 65k monthly is based on $2000. If the exchange rate changes dramatically, it will change, if not, not.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

As I have said previously, the 65k monthly is based on $2000. If the exchange rate changes dramatically, it will change, if not, not.

I suppose only in one way.

Don't really see them lowering the amount.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:11 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

and I thought a wife didn't need to be paid for every year- true love and all that.

????

If you really care about someone, it is very common to think about

and help make plans for their future welfare.

Your old age monies in Thailand are completely your own responsibility.

Perhaps you have no understanding of "true love" at all.

As well as anything else.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, PatchinExPat said:

If you really care about someone, it is very common to think about

and help make plans for their future welfare.

Your old age monies in Thailand are completely your own responsibility.

Perhaps you have no understanding of "true love" at all.

As well as anything else.

If you married someone from your own country would you GIVE them lotascash? My western partner contributed half of all expenses, my Thai wife nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

I don’t know about you, but I’ll be standing on my balcony at 18:00 this evening, applauding the ex pats who single handedly keep this country afloat.

will YOU be joining me?

I fear will still be waiting for your message to load - forum is just about DOA.  

Technology. it just gets worse. - Politics - political memes

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you married someone from your own country would you GIVE them lotascash? My western partner contributed half of all expenses, my Thai wife nothing.

I was married for 40 yrs, until her death, in the USA.

Actually, well, she did contribute some and she did cost a lot

of our monies getting 2 college degrees she never used..

My Thai wife has a very, very good job and salary for a female in

Thailand.

Yes, my intent is help her save for the day she has to leave her job 

due to age or company regulations.

I would hate to see her end up selling pop at a road side stand,

she is a good person and a good family person.

I don't mind at all make her my total beneficiary and help her save.

It is our money until I die and I expect that will be 20+ yrs before her death.

What am going to do, eat money? 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:22 AM, tonray said:

I'm not finding it difficult...one day per year at Immigration....364 days of non interference...no home visits, no police checks...no interference in my life whatsoever.

really? what about the 90 day report  and the long queues? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:58 PM, 2530Ubon said:

So to summarize - there aren't that many pensioners here, only a mere 80,000.

So basically 80000 poor and marginalised thai families are being supported. Never saw a retired man alone. He always has a thai woman besides him. 

And her standard of living is definitely better than her friends back home. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Wow, that was emotional. All up and down the street, people were clapping and cheering for 3 minutes for the brave and honorable ex pats who really make this country work.

atleast those woman who sleep with them for "love". They are better off.

1 hour ago, tonray said:

last 3 years of 90 day reports online wearing my skivvies and having my morning tea , long queues...one day per year...acceptable

For me, even easier. My wife keeps track of my 90 day due date and takes my passport to immigration. No input from me. Extending my permission to stay? My wife takes all my paperwork to immigration and submits it. I go with her the next day, hand over my ticket, have my photo taken and receive my passport, complete with extension of stay for one year. Total time in immigration per annum 15 minutes. Stress zero. Immigration is a Thai thing so I leave it to a Thai to sort it out. Its like having my own personal visa agent. Why buy a dog and bark yourself?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

For me, even easier. My wife keeps track of my 90 day due date and takes my passport to immigration. No input from me. Extending my permission to stay? My wife takes all my paperwork to immigration and submits it. I go with her the next day, hand over my ticket, have my photo taken and receive my passport, complete with extension of stay for one year. Total time in immigration per annum 15 minutes. Stress zero. Immigration is a Thai thing so I leave it to a Thai to sort it out. Its like having my own personal visa agent. Why buy a dog and bark yourself?

perhaps it works for you but why make your wife (did you just call her your pet ?) do all that when it really is your responsibility ? Some kind of power trip ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tonray said:

perhaps it works for you but why make your wife (did you just call her your pet ?) do all that when it really is your responsibility ? Some kind of power trip ?

No, more a lazy trip. Plus, I migrated to Thailand to remove all stress from my life. My pet? I'm very much her pet. Luckily I have a good master who takes good care of me.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 3:11 AM, lovethai123 said:

So basically 80000 poor and marginalised thai families are being supported. Never saw a retired man alone. He always has a thai woman besides him. 

And her standard of living is definitely better than her friends back home. 

How many people in the extended Thai family?  Conservatively, let's say 7 people benefit from the farang  sponsor.  

80,000 x 7 = 560,000 Thai people living off a foreigner, not to mention assets such as houses, land, businesses, cars etc, that are made available for use, or supports, the family.  

I would think the real numbers are actually higher than this.  

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, Old Croc said:

Alien definition, a resident of one country who was born in or owes allegiance to another country and has not acquired citizenship by naturalization in the country of residence (distinguished from citizen).

Foreigners are referred to as alien's in the migration laws of many countries. The UK's original Aliens Act was written to keep the Scots in their place. They were considered the aliens at that time..

The UK's original Aliens Act was written to keep the Scots in their place. They were considered the aliens at that time..:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: And where exactly would that place be ??? 555555

• Confused 1