winter allowance.

Kwasaki

1 minute ago, Tyler Visan said:

You will not get it, or the annual increase, if the Pension people know you live in Thailand.

I knew about not getting annual increases when my pension started.

I got a winter allowance payment Iast year and just wondering if it would be paid again this. 

Don't know what you mean "if pension people know I'm in Thailand"  is all about they paid it into my Thai Bank. 

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

The winter fuel payment is paid every year.  It is a bit of a stretch to think that someone in Thailand qualifies mind you, they don't pay it if you live in France for instance as it's warmer than the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

That is why I ask because I was paid the winter allowance amount last year and it was paid into my Thai Bank account, the way my UK pension is paid. 

I mean come on be fair it was 20 degrees in Sukhothai last night I need a bed sheet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Upnotover said:

The winter fuel payment is paid every year.  It is a bit of a stretch to think that someone in Thailand qualifies mind you, they don't pay it if you live in France for instance as it's warmer than the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

The eligibility criteria include those who "have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK". Furthermore, Thailand is not specifically listed as an ineligible country.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/eligibility

@Kwasaki - did you apply on the grounds of having a genuine and sufficient link to the UK, and, if so, how did you go about proving this to the Winter Fuel Payment Centre's satisfaction?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The eligibility criteria include those who "have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK". Furthermore, Thailand is not specifically listed as an ineligible country.

Yes, but the other element of that criteria is "you live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country", it is AND not OR.  Quite how they work our who is automatically eligible is not clear but what is fairly clear is that it is not intended for people in tropical paradise locations.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

@Kwasaki - did you apply on the grounds of having a genuine and sufficient link to the UK, and, if so, how did you go about proving this to the Winter Fuel Payment Center's satisfaction?

I didn't do anything, or apply for anything, that's the reason for the post.

I'm a English citizen passport holder with a FD online UK bank a/c which is my only link to the UK, my UK Bank has my one and only home address which is in Thailand.

It was my son-inlaw who works for UK govt who inform me last year I would be receiving the winter allowance.

I thought he was only joking but 7,000 baht or so was put in my Thai Bkk bank a/c which is the a/c my UK pension is paid into.

I kept it in the bank until I had 2 more 4 weekly pension payment incase the amount had to be returned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Yes, but the other element of that criteria is "you live in Switzerland or a European Economic Area (EEA) country", it is AND not OR.  Quite how they work our who is automatically eligible is not clear but what is fairly clear is that it is not intended for people in tropical paradise locations.

These 2 sentences in the link made someone think I was eligible last time.

Maybe their change there mind this year. ????

" You have a genuine and sufficient link to the UK - this can include having lived or worked in the UK, and having family in the UK "

" You may still be able to get Cold Weather Payment or the Warm Home Discount Scheme, even if you do not qualify for Winter Fuel Payment."

IMO an air con allowance per annum for claimants abroad would put them on par with their UK counterparts with the same NI contribution record when this 'parity' fiasco is eventually addressed'

(I realise this is nothing to do with the Embassy!)

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

What address does DWP have for you?  The fact that they pay in to your Thai bank is not relevant, it is the actual address they have on their system that counts.

When I left England to live in Thailand I gave the HMRC my Thai address.

At pension application time the DWP sent the application forms to my Thai address. 

When you start receiving your UK pension the IPC is the dept you deal with and they have my Thai address of course. 

I will contact them and tell them it's winter time in North Thailand. ????????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

7,000 baht or so was put in my Thai Bkk bank

Winter Fuel Allowance of £175?  It is £25 per WEEK if it is below zero for 7 consecutive days between 1 November and 30th March.

Edited by Tyler Visan

41 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Winter Fuel Allowance of £175?  It is £25 per WEEK if it is below zero for 7 consecutive days between 1 November and 30th March.

Where did you get that piece of disinformation from? The standard payment is 200 GBP, which now would be 8,100 THB, but what was the rate last year? 

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/winter-fuel-payment-payments-and-rates

@Kwasaki, The IPC does not deal with the winter heating allowance. It is dealt with by a separate department called the 'Winter Fuel Payment Centre'. (how imaginative)

I would suspect that the WFPC still had your last known UK address on their data base, hence this erroneous payment. You are not entitled to it, as I'm sure you realize and I suggest you contact them via the following web page.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/winter-fuel-payment-centre

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Where did you get that piece of disinformation from? The standard payment is 200 GBP, which now would be 8,100 THB, but what was the rate last year? 

@Kwasaki, The IPC does not deal with the winter heating allowance. It is dealt with by a separate department called the 'Winter Fuel Payment Centre'. (how imaginative)

I would suspect that the WFPC still had your last known UK address on their data base, hence this erroneous payment. You are not entitled to it, as I'm sure you realize and I suggest you contact them via the following web page.

I apologise profusely for getting my Winter Fuel Payment and Cold Weather Payment mixed up, the figures I quoted previously being for the latter of the two.

As the gov.uk site says, the Winter Fuel Payment depends on your age, and with whom you were living on 21-27 September 2020. I all makes complete sense now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

What the deleted are you on about, I got the dosh last year.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well I think you know zero.

I'm gonna ask them whoever via IPC why they haven't paid me this year if they don't.

Because why did I get paid last year it's cold here at night in North Thailand I need to buy a blanket.

24 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Please read my apology just above this one from you. Thanks.

And no need to laugh at it please.

Fair call, I only wanted to know if others like me got the money last year.

Maybe it was a mistake dunno.

No apology needed this is a key board forum I am invincible. ????  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well I think you know zero.

I'm gonna ask them whoever via IPC why they haven't paid me this year if they don't.

Because why did I get paid last year it's cold here at night in North Thailand I need to buy a blanket.

So you think I know zero do you?

Well let me tell about a lady I knew in Egypt who thought she was a smart a**e. She was also getting the winter fuel payment (as it's correctly known) until some one blew the whistle on her. (her ex-husband) Not only did she loose the allowance, she had to pay it back and she put her pension payments in jeopardy.

If you're to put up a query on the forum, please be gracious enough to be polite to those who take the trouble to answer your query.

GOOD NIGHT!

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, Kwasaki said:

... It was my son-inlaw who works for UK govt who inform me last year I would be receiving the winter allowance. ...

Anyone else have a relative who works for the UK government and got extra money for not living in the UK?

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Anyone else have a relative who works for the UK government and got extra money for not living in the UK?

I see what you mean but son-inlaw don't work DWP or IPC and reason for the thread was to find out if anyone knows if it's going to be paid this year.

Apparently not but maybe I'll just wait see, from answer here nobody really knows, wish I hadn't of bothered. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I see what you mean but son-inlaw don't work DWP or IPC and reason for the thread was to find out if anyone knows if it's going to be paid this year.

Apparently not but maybe I'll just wait see, from answer here nobody really knows, wish I hadn't of bothered. 

Seldom worth bothering.

You'll get five conflicting answers and then they'll agree that only Ubon Joe knows.

• Haha 1