60 Day Covid Extensions at MTT in Bangkok??

Hello can anyone share any recent experiences in applying for the 60 day covid extension at MTT? As far as what was required to bring, approved or not, under consideration period, previously extended to Nov 30 with embassy letter or not, etc. Basically as thorough an explanation of your recent experience at MTT with applying for a 60 day covid extension. Thanks in advance.

• Confused 1

Visa exempt entry - last was 60 day extension to visit family valid till November 25th - went last week got turned down due to TM.30 and didn't have all the papers needed to do the TM.30 so went again yesterday (23rd November) and did Tm.30 first then went to K section with Tm.30 and got under consideration stamp and to come back on Dec7th.

Documents for extension I had was is just the TM.7 form, one photo on the form, copy of passport and all the relevant visa and extension pages, copy of the tm.30 and 3 forms you get there plus 1900thb.

2 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

Visa exempt entry - last was 60 day extension to visit family valid till November 25th - went last week got turned down due to TM.30 and didn't have all the papers needed to do the TM.30 so went again yesterday (23rd November) and did Tm.30 first then went to K section with Tm.30 and got under consideration stamp and to come back on Dec7th.

Documents for extension I had was is just the TM.7 form, one photo on the form, copy of passport and all the relevant visa and extension pages, copy of the tm.30 and 3 forms you get there plus 1900thb.

Cool thanks! So if my hotel does the tm30 online is that sufficient or do I need a print out of their online filing? Also, any hassle about an embassy letter?

I'm a US citizen and I entered visa exempt back in Feb, and did a Covid extension back in Sep with the embassy letter, so my current stamp is valid until Nov 30.

I tried to do a Covid extension at MTT today (Tuesday, 24 Nov) and was denied because I didn't have "proof of address".  This seems to be a new requirement and it looked like a lot of people were having problems.  The immigration officer seemed to say that a receipt from my hotel would be enough, but unfortunately I didn't have one on me.  I'm planning on going back tomorrow with a receipt, so we'll see how that goes.  I think if the hotel does the TM30 online and they have your address in their system that should be sufficient, but my hotel evidently hasn't done that.  I tried showing them my hotel key (which has the name of the hotel on it), but that got me nowhere.

Lack of an embassy letter didn't seem to be an issue.  They give you a short form to fill out instead.  The last time I did the Covid extension, I had a letter from the US embassy, but now the embassy website says they aren't giving out the letters anymore because they aren't required.

Also, be sure to book an appointment online, as they check for that.  I just showed them a screencap of the confirmation screen.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

I think if the hotel does the TM30 online and they have your address in their system that should be sufficient, but my hotel evidently hasn't done that.  I tried showing them my hotel key (which has the name of the hotel on it), but that got me nowhere.

You need the hotel to file a TM30. It will be useless going back tomorrow without it. A receipt of payment will not cut it.

BTW your hotel could file a TM30 and give you a print out of it. 

I'm overstating this but for others applying for extension it's important to deal/stay with hotel that confirms that they will do this for you.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You need the hotel to file a TM30. It will be useless going back tomorrow without it. A receipt of payment will not cut it.

I'm overstating this but for others applying for extension it's important to deal/stay with hotel that confirms that they will do this for you.

How certain are you about that?  The woman working there told me that a receipt from the hotel would be good enough.

I asked at my hotel, they said they're currently having problems doing the TM30 for some reason.

I would be interested to know if anyone has tried to do this (at MTT, recently, for Covid extensions on visa exempt entries) with a receipt and without the TM30.

2 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

How certain are you about that?  The woman working there told me that a receipt from the hotel would be good enough.

I'm not certain. I'm just going on other reports of io specifically wanting a TM30. 

As usual I guess it depends on the imm officer you deal with.

You could say that you were advised that receipt of payment to hotel would be acceptable. I have read where folk renewing their annual extension showing utility bills etc. and that was sufficient. 

Good luck. Please report back your experience to assist others.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

What if you are staying at a private apartment in Bangkok? I have never been asked for this in 20 years and the past decade at my current flat.

19 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

What if you are staying at a private apartment in Bangkok? I have never been asked for this in 20 years and the past decade at my current flat.

Depends on what basis you live in Thailand. 

Stating "past decade at my current flat" means what? Living here on extensions based on...?

BTW private apartment means what?

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Depends on what basis you live in Thailand. 

Stating "past decade at my current flat" means what? Living here on extensions based on...?

Visiting a few months of the year in the winter every year, but renting the flat year round. Not living here, but visiting for 2 visits of two months each every year coming in on visa exemp. Stuck here now and can't get back home to Taiwan.

Edited by vermin on arrival

1 minute ago, vermin on arrival said:

Visiting a few months of they year in the winter every year, but renting the flat year round. Stuck here now and can't get back home to Taiwan.

In other words you need to obtain extension.

That means you need to demonstrate where your staying... Simple really

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In other words you need to obtain extension.

That means you need to demonstrate where your staying... Simple really

Yes. So will my paid bills in the landlord's name be sufficient or must i get my friend who owns the place to file a tm30? It's the same flat for the last 10 years of visa exempt extensions I have filed 2 times a year.

Edited by vermin on arrival

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes. So will my paid bills in the landlord's name be sufficient or must i get my friend who owns the place to file a tm30.

No offense but you have asked similar questions for every "end of amnesty" and now end of your current extension.

I would have all this organized weeks ago. Now you post your planning on visit to IMM and wonder if you should have your friend file TM30.

In any event best of luck. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

No offense but you have asked similar questions for every "end of amnesty" and now end of your current extension.

I would have all this organized weeks ago. Now you post your planning on visit to IMM and wonder if you should have your friend file TM30.

Apologies. I was waiting to see how things worked out as I have been every time and the situation has been different every time. The tm30 is a new requirement for people in my situation. I just saw a post about it today, which is why I am asking.

6 hours ago, Salami Sam said:

Cool thanks! So if my hotel does the tm30 online is that sufficient or do I need a print out of their online filing? Also, any hassle about an embassy letter?

In theory it should be sufficient ????  When i first was denied she said she did not see it in the system so there must be some system where they can look that up ????

3 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes. So will my paid bills in the landlord's name be sufficient or must i get my friend who owns the place to file a tm30? It's the same flat for the last 10 years of visa exempt extensions I have filed 2 times a year.

I have also never been asked for it until last week and i did probably 20 different extensions in last years and all i stayed in a condo not a hotel.

and here are the forms.

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thailand-immigration-forms/

If you rent the condo you need the contract.

If it is in someone else's name then you need that person with you or need them to fill in a form giving you permission to sign in their name and copy of their ID and Blue book (house book) both signed by that person.

Edited by Jackie66
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, anymajordude said:

I'm a US citizen and I entered visa exempt back in Feb, and did a Covid extension back in Sep with the embassy letter, so my current stamp is valid until Nov 30.

I tried to do a Covid extension at MTT today (Tuesday, 24 Nov) and was denied because I didn't have "proof of address".  This seems to be a new requirement and it looked like a lot of people were having problems.  The immigration officer seemed to say that a receipt from my hotel would be enough, but unfortunately I didn't have one on me.  I'm planning on going back tomorrow with a receipt, so we'll see how that goes.  I think if the hotel does the TM30 online and they have your address in their system that should be sufficient, but my hotel evidently hasn't done that.  I tried showing them my hotel key (which has the name of the hotel on it), but that got me nowhere.

Lack of an embassy letter didn't seem to be an issue.  They give you a short form to fill out instead.  The last time I did the Covid extension, I had a letter from the US embassy, but now the embassy website says they aren't giving out the letters anymore because they aren't required.

Also, be sure to book an appointment online, as they check for that.  I just showed them a screencap of the confirmation screen.

Cool thanks for your informative post! Which 1 do i select when booking an appointment online? Counter k or tr60?

I went back in today (Wednesday, 25 Nov) and got the under consideration stamp, saying to come back on 09 Dec.  My hotel managed to do the TM30 after all, so my address was in their system and the issue about whether or not a receipt would suffice was therefore a moot point (for me).

I think it's important for people to realize that some kind of proof of address is now required which wasn't required previously, as lots of people are having problems and this information doesn't seem to be getting out there.

Select K counter on the online reservation form.  I've been selecting "Applying for short term Visa at Muangthong Thani (K counter)", which I think is correct even though it doesn't sound a good description of a Covid extension.  In any case, they don't seem to actually have a list of who has made an online reservation, so you need to provide some kind of proof yourself.  I've just been doing the online reservation on my phone and showing them a screencap of the confirmation screen.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:09 AM, Jackie66 said:

I have also never been asked for it until last week and i did probably 20 different extensions in last years and all i stayed in a condo not a hotel.

and here are the forms.

https://immigrationbangkok.com/thailand-immigration-forms/

If you rent the condo you need the contract.

If it is in someone else's name then you need that person with you or need them to fill in a form giving you permission to sign in their name and copy of their ID and Blue book (house book) both signed by that person.

Hi Jackie. Thanks for the kind post with that information. It's funny though I went yesterday and the IO asked me for none of it, which was quite good because I did not have all of the proper documentation that you posted. Maybe it's because of my age, which the IO noted or maybe because I have made all my extensions from the same condominium address over the last 10 years. Who knows. That magical IO discretion worked in my favor yesterday.

But let me just say thanks again. I will be sure I have this documentation sorted next time even though I am sure they will change things again as they have every time for these covid extensions.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:22 PM, DrJack54 said:

I guess your good luck wishes worked for me Jack. No TM30 documentation was requested from me. They must like that I have stayed at the same address for the last 10 years when I have been in Thailand. Or something else. Who knows. IO discretion it must be.

It was the easiest extension I have done since December 2019. Left my home at 10:45 AM and back by 1PM. Arrived at MTT at 11:15AM and out by 12:05PM. My appointment was in the afternoon, but no appointment was requested because things were slow. No TM 30 was asked for. Go back on December 9 for the rest of the days. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Having said all that, two of my friends were asked for their TM30s at MTT today. Go figure.

I wait until near the end to see how things shake out at the different offices because we all know the inconsistency of the application of the rules at different offices and even at the same office by different officers. Things might even change up at the different offices as the procedures are implemented. So far it has worked well for me.

I think I will continue to do things this way since most likely the rules will change for the next extension, and I want all the information possible before I go to extend so that I get the extension that works the best for me. I have no intention of long staying here. The first chance I can get somewhere I want to be, I'm outta here. If I need to spend a lot for a long stay visa using an agent, I will go to Laos  or elsewhere

In any case, best of luck to you as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, anymajordude said:

I went back in today (Wednesday, 25 Nov) and got the under consideration stamp, saying to come back on 09 Dec.  My hotel managed to do the TM30 after all, so my address was in their system and the issue about whether or not a receipt would suffice was therefore a moot point (for me).

I think it's important for people to realize that some kind of proof of address is now required which wasn't required previously, as lots of people are having problems and this information doesn't seem to be getting out there.

Select K counter on the online reservation form.  I've been selecting "Applying for short term Visa at Muangthong Thani (K counter)", which I think is correct even though it doesn't sound a good description of a Covid extension.  In any case, they don't seem to actually have a list of who has made an online reservation, so you need to provide some kind of proof yourself.  I've just been doing the online reservation on my phone and showing them a screencap of the confirmation screen.

Thanks for the info! FYI you select counter K only if here initially on a 30 day visa as opposed to a 60 day visa. For people that entered on a 60 day visa you would select TR60 which is counter J.

1 hour ago, vermin on arrival said:

Having said all that, two of my friends were asked for their TM30s at MTT today. Go figure

Thai imm offices are gold medalists for "consistency in being inconsistent"

Happy you obtained your 60 day extension.

When you mentioned alternative to Thailand long stay. I obtain (pre covid) 3 month multi entry 4 times/year to Vietnam. Adds up to under $300usd per year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thai imm offices are gold medalists for "consistency in being inconsistent"

Happy you obtained your 60 day extension.

When you mentioned alternative to Thailand long stay. I obtain (pre covid) 3 month multi entry 4 times/year to Vietnam. Adds up to under $300usd per year.

It really is amazing. Amazing Thailand lol. This never ending song and dance of visa weirdness was part of the reason I never considered the long stay option for Thailand over the last 20 years. Unfortunately, I may need to jump a few more hoops until I can get out of here.

Thanks for the info on Vietnam Jack. That's a dam good deal. It's a shame the borders are still closed in Asia for people who are not considered essential workers.

I know I can currently get into Laos with a 1 year work visa set up through an agent, but it looks like close to $1300 US all in. I'm not sure what the total would be, including the cost of flight, ASQ and covid tests. If things become more difficult here, and I can't get home to Taiwan, I will probably pull the trigger on that. I am also considering Kenya and Crete as options. Take Care.

• Like 1

Just wanted to share my experience going to the MTT Immigration office today, in case it helps anyone. It was a chaotic process with a long wait (1-2 hours), as many people were applying for the tourist COVID extension, like I was. I arrived around 2pm, and people were still waiting when I left around 5:30. They seemed fairly strict about people needing to have a TM 30 notification thing (proof of residence in Thailand, I think), but fortunately I asked my hotel to print out some TM 30-related document yesterday, which the Immigration staff accepted after some discussion (otherwise I would have had to go to a nearby building to get some residence document there and then possibly have had to come back the next day). The office is in the middle of nowhere, and the closest BTS seems to be Wat Phra Sri Mahathat (N17) – at least, this is where the motorcyle taxi driver dropped me after I left (150 baht). Good luck if you're going there ... you may want to bring a book along to read!

Edited by cjhj
wanted to add some info
  • Thanks 1