Mistakes

tgeezer

Sometimes I use the wrong word, or mispronounce a word, and somebody will laugh at my mistake and make a big deal of it. I don't really like that, but have noticed that my memory in the future is much stronger at avoiding that same mistake again.

Traumatic or negative events leave a strong imprint on the human brain in order to help us avoid them again in the future and thus increase our chances of survival. Apparently it works with language learning as well.

The BIL's new flame is called 'Youpaa' but I heard 'Youkaa'. Youkaa is the name of a tree or short for Eucalyptis. I wondered why she was named after a tree. 

Everyone thought it funny when I called her Youkaa and no one told me for a good while that's it was Youpaa.  ????

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

The BIL's new flame is called 'Youpaa' but I heard 'Youkaa'. Youkaa is the name of a tree or short for Eucalyptis. I wondered why she was named after a tree. 

Everyone thought it funny when I called her Youkaa and no one told me for a good while that's it was Youpaa.  ????

Interesting,  Thai like to shorten words so Eucalyptis becomes Euca. ยูคา  and the girls name also ยุภา becomes ยุ so you may have well heard คุณยุคะ at some time. 

Eucalyptis is called ยูคา 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Sometimes I use the wrong word, or mispronounce a word, and somebody will laugh at my mistake and make a big deal of it. I don't really like that, but have noticed that my memory in the future is much stronger at avoiding that same mistake again.

Traumatic or negative events leave a strong imprint on the human brain in order to help us avoid them again in the future and thus increase our chances of survival. Apparently it works with language learning as well.

When I was a young'un in the Air Force, a co-worker pointed out that I misspelled 'separate'.  I brushed it off as a common mistake.  He told me, it's easy to remember......sep a rat e (emphasis on 'a rat').  That was the last time I misspelled the word.  ศีรษะ is a good example of a Thai word that I've seen misspelled on those signs telling you to 'watch your head' when riding an escalator.  A Thai friend told me it's one of those trick words on Thai spelliing tests.  

When someone points out my mispronunciation/misspelling in Thai, I always thank them.  I can use all the help I can get with a difficult language.

• Like 2

It seems to have got started with a mistransliteration. Based on the RID, the usual ศรี looks to be from Sanskrit ศฺรี, while the word ศีรษะ is from Sanskrit สีส (which would have been pronounced สีสะ). In other words there was no ร in the original and the consonant was ส not ศ (they're not the same in Sanskrit).

It's hard to see where the ศร came if not from ศฺรี, even though that would have been a mistake. But if so, why is the vowel where it is? It's a bit of a mystery. If it did come from ศฺรี, I reckon you may as well go the whole hog and spell it ศรีษะ.

The spelling ศรีษะ is used in some of the definitions in some dictionaries (Lexitron for example) but does not appear as a headword. Maybe the spelling is gradually changing.

I was prompted to look up ศรีษะ and was surprised to discover that I can't find it in the RID so it doesn't exist officially.  I had always thought that it meant the head because of the signs. So it appears to be a euphemism for หัว. 
I thought that ศรีษระ was promising but there is no such word in the RID as ษะ ษระ either. 

Perhaps people are so used to formal and informal words that having only one word for head หัว seems inadequate, there are probably one hundred words beginning with หัว after all.