TR Visa 60 days, conversion to non immigrant retirement extension allowed?

I read somewhere on a Thai embassy or consulate website that the new 60 day TR visa can't be converted into any other type of visa while in Thailand. I can't find the details anymore. 

I am wondering if I could get a visa extension based on retirement for this visa from a immigration office in Thailand. (As this would not be a conversion?)

I used to have a Non Immigrant O-A visa (retirement) first, then after expiry I got an retirement extension which was valid till end of May. I left Thailand in March and had a return permit which now also expired as Thailand did not let people in on retirement visa/extensions. On top of that I live in Australia and Australia had an overseas travel ban.

I now need to either apply for a non O-A, or, if any chance I can get a retirement extension for the TR visa.

Has anyone any idea if retirement extension possible for TR Visa?

Thanks

You can apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant (category O) visa entry at immigration and the the one year extensions of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

The is no restrictions on the single entry tourist visa you can get now. It is the same as a standard tourist visa.

Repost from another thread, but of possible use for the OP.

1 - Anybody can now apply for a 60-day SingleEntry TouristVisa at any Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad.

2- When you enter Thailand on that SETV you will be stamped in with a permission to stay for 60 days  The first 14 days of those 60 days you will have to spend in the ASQ Hotel you opted for when you applied for the CoE (Certificate of Entry) like anybody currently entering Thailand.

3 - When coming out of quarantaine, you then need to open a personal Thai bank-account and transfer +800K THB to that bank-account with foreign origins of the funds proven.  When that is done you can then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at the local IO of the province where you intend to stay long-term in Thailand. 

4 - You need to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you have still at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) left on the permission to stay stamped into your passport when having entered Thailand on your 60-day SETV, and you can do it from the moment you still have 30 days left on your permission to stay.  The funds (see #3) only need to be on that bank-account at the moment of application, so you have between 2 weeks and 1 month to open the account and ensure the funds are transferred at the moment you want to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

5 - Once you have the 90-day permission to stay in your passport from that 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to keep the +800K funds on that account.  In the last month of those 90 days you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-Visa, and this has to be done at the SAME IO where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  Doing so the funds will have been more than two months on your bank-account and thereby meeting the 2-months seasoning requirement.

6 - Once you have the 1-year extension of stay stamp in your passport, you still need to maintain the +800K funds on that personal Thai bank-account.  The +800K needs to be for 3 months on that account, for the next 6-7 months the amount can be lowered to +400K, only to top up again to +800K in the two months preceding your NEXT application for a 1-year extension of stay application based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document for long-stay in Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  That document outlines in far more detail the options you have (and also addresses how to meet the insurance requirement when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum. 

Success!

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant (category O) visa entry at immigration and the the one year extensions of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 days.

The is no restrictions on the single entry tourist visa you can get now. It is the same as a standard tourist visa.

Thanks Joe.  3 follow up questions.

1.  Is the insurance requirement for the non-O based on retirement now the same as for the Non-OA based upon retirement?  I assume 100k covid is the same for both.

2.  Additionally, is there any benefit to the one over the other?

3.  It seems that getting the TR visa first is the easiest way to go on the route to retirement extensions.  Yes? 

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Repost from another thread, but of possible use for the OP.

1 - Anybody can now apply for a 60-day SingleEntry TouristVisa at any Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad.

2- When you enter Thailand on that SETV you will be stamped in with a permission to stay for 60 days  The first 14 days of those 60 days you will have to spend in the ASQ Hotel you opted for when you applied for the CoE (Certificate of Entry) like anybody currently entering Thailand.

3 - When coming out of quarantaine, you then need to open a personal Thai bank-account and transfer +800K THB to that bank-account with foreign origins of the funds proven.  When that is done you can then apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at the local IO of the province where you intend to stay long-term in Thailand. 

4 - You need to apply for that 90-day Non Imm O Visa when you have still at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) left on the permission to stay stamped into your passport when having entered Thailand on your 60-day SETV, and you can do it from the moment you still have 30 days left on your permission to stay.  The funds (see #3) only need to be on that bank-account at the moment of application, so you have between 2 weeks and 1 month to open the account and ensure the funds are transferred at the moment you want to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

5 - Once you have the 90-day permission to stay in your passport from that 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to keep the +800K funds on that account.  In the last month of those 90 days you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O-Visa, and this has to be done at the SAME IO where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  Doing so the funds will have been more than two months on your bank-account and thereby meeting the 2-months seasoning requirement.

6 - Once you have the 1-year extension of stay stamp in your passport, you still need to maintain the +800K funds on that personal Thai bank-account.  The +800K needs to be for 3 months on that account, for the next 6-7 months the amount can be lowered to +400K, only to top up again to +800K in the two months preceding your NEXT application for a 1-year extension of stay application based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document for long-stay in Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  That document outlines in far more detail the options you have (and also addresses how to meet the insurance requirement when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum. 

Success!

Dr Jack and Peter.  Thanks for your info.  Very clear and helpful.  Dr. Jack: Can you also send me those guidelines you spoke of?  

4 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

...follow up questions.

1.  Is the insurance requirement for the non-O based on retirement now the same as for the Non-OA based upon retirement?  I assume 100k covid is the same for both.

2.  Additionally, is there any benefit to the one over the other?

3.  It seems that getting the TR visa first is the easiest way to go on the route to retirement extensions.  Yes? 

1. There is no insurance requirement for the Non Imm O Visa application/extension.  The 400K/40K health-insurance is a requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa, or when applying for the 1-year extension of such Visa for reason of retirement.

The 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance (for the length of the permission to stay your Visa will provide you on entry) is not a Visa requirement, but is part of the CoE (Certificate of Entry) requirements, that anyone now entering Thailand has to comply with.

2. See further

3.  Currently the 60-day SETV is the ONLY route towards an in-country Non Imm O Visa application for reason of retirement < see my earlier post >

= = = ==

Re your question #2 -  a repost addressing that complex issue.

>> When choosing the Visa to apply for in your home-country you can do this for various purposes/reasons.  And the requirements/conditions are different depending on the type Visa and the reason applying for it.

When you are over 50 years of age (and meet the financial and other requirements) you are eligible to apply at the Thai Embassy/Consulate of your home-country for

- a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa

- a 5-year Non Imm O-X Visa

In some countries you can also apply for a 90-days Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, but that is not possible in e.g. USA or Australia (there you can only apply for such a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for Family reasons).

So if you want a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to enter Thailand first on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa.  And then with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay that entry provided you, you can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at your local IO.  Subsequently you can then in the last month of the 90-days permission to stay, apply for a 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

When over 50 years of age and

- wanting to stay long-term in Thailand

- not being married to a Thai national

- not eligible or interested in Visa types for other reasons (e.g. Business, Education, etc.)

and depending on your circumstances the most popular Visa for those over 50 years of age are the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa and the 1-year extension of the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Note: The Non Imm O-X Visa is ridiculously expensive for the little benefits it provides.

It depends on your circumstances which of those 2 options Non Imm O-A or Non Imm-O is most beneficial in your situation.

For my specific situation (not married, visiting my home-country occasionally every 1-2 year) there is no doubt that the Non Imm O-A Visa is my choice of preference (not extending it after 2-years but simply re-applying for a new one when visiting my home-country).

If you are not clear about which Visa is best for you, do PM me with the following info as these are the factors of relevance to determine your choice:

- Age and nationality

- Married to a Thai national or father of a Thai childr

- Receiving monthly income (e.g. pension or rental income) in excess of +65.000 THB monthly

- Occasionally visiting your home-country (at least once every 2 years)

- Holder of foreign/international or Thai health-insurance with +400K/+40K coverage for in/out-patient care

- Equivalent of at least 800.000 THB on a foreign or Thai personal bank-account for at least 3 months

8 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

Dr Jack and Peter.  Thanks for your info.  Very clear and helpful.  Dr. Jack: Can you also send me those guidelines you spoke of?  

You mixed myself up with Peter Denis.

Peter has excellent "roadmaps" guidelines for various things. Take note of his advice here as to pathway from tourist visa to annual extensions or obtaining non O-A.

Personally if we knew borders would open first half of next year I would consider non O-A. Both good options.

As Peter pointed out non o retirement not available in Oz but your plan of enter on tourist visa and then obtain non o is good option. Since you have previously had an O-A and also done extensions your well placed to select which option suits you.

Doing O-A every 2 years suits some folk esp those that return to home country every couple of years and also do not wish to keep money in Thailand.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:37 AM, DrJack54 said:

Was always possible in the past.

Can't see why you cannot enter currently on tourist visa and not obtain non o retirement at immigration.

It states on Thai embassy Vienna page that you can get 30 day ext. but then you need to leave. Better apply for OA.

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

It states on Thai embassy Vienna page that you can get 30 day ext. but then you need to leave. Better apply for OA.

About all embassy and official consulates have that on their sites. That only means that it is the longest you can stay on your tourist visa. You can still do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa to apply for a one year extension.

5 hours ago, Letseng said:

I looked it up, and indeed the Vienna Thai Embassy website <  https://www.thaiembassy.at/en/type-of-visa/touristvisa.html  > is incomplete / ambiguous on that matter.

The website correctly states that you can extend the 60-day SingleEntry Tourist Visa for 30 days by applying for an extension (easy process).

But it does NOT mention that you can also apply for the so-called 'change of Visa' process when having entered on a Tourist Visa (or VisaExempt).  When you still have at least 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) left on your permission to stay, you can apply at the IO of the province where you want to stay long-term in Thailand, for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

Obviously you have to meet the criteria for such application, e.g. +50 year when applying for reason of retirement, married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent child when applying for family reasons.

NOTE: Please be aware that the change of Visa process is not applicable for the STV (special Tourist Visa) which can only be applied for in low-risk covid countries and which can be extended two times for 90 days, but after that time you would need to leave the country.

But the 60-day Tourist Visa is a regular Tourist Visas and does allow you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extensions of that Non Imm O Visa.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 4:19 AM, Peter Denis said:

1. There is no insurance requirement for the Non Imm O Visa application/extension.  The 400K/40K health-insurance is a requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa, or when applying for the 1-year extension of such Visa for reason of retirement.

The 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance (for the length of the permission to stay your Visa will provide you on entry) is not a Visa requirement, but is part of the CoE (Certificate of Entry) requirements, that anyone now entering Thailand has to comply with.

2. See further

3.  Currently the 60-day SETV is the ONLY route towards an in-country Non Imm O Visa application for reason of retirement < see my earlier post >

= = = ==

Re your question #2 -  a repost addressing that complex issue.

>> When choosing the Visa to apply for in your home-country you can do this for various purposes/reasons.  And the requirements/conditions are different depending on the type Visa and the reason applying for it.

When you are over 50 years of age (and meet the financial and other requirements) you are eligible to apply at the Thai Embassy/Consulate of your home-country for

- a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa

- a 5-year Non Imm O-X Visa

In some countries you can also apply for a 90-days Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, but that is not possible in e.g. USA or Australia (there you can only apply for such a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for Family reasons).

So if you want a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to enter Thailand first on a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa.  And then with at least 15 days left on your permission to stay that entry provided you, you can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at your local IO.  Subsequently you can then in the last month of the 90-days permission to stay, apply for a 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

When over 50 years of age and

- wanting to stay long-term in Thailand

- not being married to a Thai national

- not eligible or interested in Visa types for other reasons (e.g. Business, Education, etc.)

and depending on your circumstances the most popular Visa for those over 50 years of age are the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa and the 1-year extension of the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

Note: The Non Imm O-X Visa is ridiculously expensive for the little benefits it provides.

It depends on your circumstances which of those 2 options Non Imm O-A or Non Imm-O is most beneficial in your situation.

For my specific situation (not married, visiting my home-country occasionally every 1-2 year) there is no doubt that the Non Imm O-A Visa is my choice of preference (not extending it after 2-years but simply re-applying for a new one when visiting my home-country).

If you are not clear about which Visa is best for you, do PM me with the following info as these are the factors of relevance to determine your choice:

- Age and nationality

- Married to a Thai national or father of a Thai childr

- Receiving monthly income (e.g. pension or rental income) in excess of +65.000 THB monthly

- Occasionally visiting your home-country (at least once every 2 years)

- Holder of foreign/international or Thai health-insurance with +400K/+40K coverage for in/out-patient care

- Equivalent of at least 800.000 THB on a foreign or Thai personal bank-account for at least 3 months

@RexR & @eagleo

Update to my 24 Nov post > > As part of the CoE requirements there are now Thai Embassies/Consulates that DO require a similar 400K/40K health-insurance policy when applying abroad for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And in contrast with the Non Imm O-A Visa application, you don't have the option to make use of a foreign international insurer to meet the insurance requirement, but are confined to subscribe to a Thai IO-approved policy issued by a TGIA associated insurer.  For sake of clarity > such insurance is NOT required when applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement at your local IO after having entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

Archived