Bangkok Bank goes Big Brother

cmjc

This may not be news to thee, but today, I called into a local Bangkok Bank outlet, and was asked nicely to lower my face-mask, despite abundant notices indicating it's compulsory/polite to wear one.

No problem, smile for the hidden camera.

The teller, noticing my perplexity, pointed over her shoulder, at the wall mounted security camera.

Curious, I asked if she had recorded my picture on her computer interface, and she confirmed, indeed she had.

Has anybody else noticed this new procedure here?

Perhaps Bkk Bk is trialling the Chinese facial-recognition software, which is a tad disconcerting.

I wonder if it is just for alien plebians?

If so, it will be a failure because my image was shot through a layer of wrinkled plastic: The impenetrable Bkk Bk Covid insulator!

More likely, it's an off-the-cuff social-conditioning aspect of NWO control of plebians, to which we have become accustomed.

I shall enquire further at the Main Branch, and let you know what I'm told.

Edited by cmjc
  • Confused 1

All of us are being video recorded just about any place you go.

Malls, shops, restaurants, businesses, outdoors, bars. What is the big deal?

Actually, in a bank if they have your profile in their system it may prevent you from being the victim of stolen identity or fraud.

I personally could care less about any of it got nothing to hide.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

By coincidence I was at an SCB branch today and needed to do a transaction that required me to hand over my passport for ID verification purposes. The teller looked at the ID page and asked me to lower my facemask. I did so and thought nothing of it until I saw this topic. No idea if a photo was also part of the checking process but, as noted by others, hardly a concern with the abundance of cctv cameras. 

Sounds like the OP was unhappy that the teller ignored his tin foil hat.:biggrin: 

Be happy that they care. I am always asked to pull down my mask for a moment when I withdraw money. Not sure if they take a picture or just want to compare my face with the photo in the ID card. But anyhow - in not Corona times everything what happens in the bank is filmed too. So what? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

It could be they just want to know who robbed their bank.....????

Plausible, since I was wearing a black-and-white-hooped T shirt, but in my defence; no tattoos, ear-rings, or Millwall cap.

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

My local supermarket chain in the UK has screens on the self service check outs where you can clearly see yourself being recorded - I doubt I'll be getting unsolicited requests from high class male modelling agencies any time soon, but you never know  ????

Yes, we're accustomed to intrusive security cameras, but what prompted this thread, was the fact that the bank now, apparently links grainy images of customers to their data base, without even asking permission.

I notice Tops in Central now has a self-service check-out, which I'm keen to try out.

I'm a cash only-bloke, who always has his pennies ready in the checkout queue. (I even carry a packet of satang to assist the check-out girls.)

Cash is so much faster than the interminable processing of credit cards, with the inevitable trouble-shooting that involves.

I've never applied for a CC, nor wanted one, but try applying for a UK passport renewal from Tld. without a UK card, and see what happens. (I had to use my UK Debit card, because they would not accept cash (GBP, nor Baht, nor a UK cheque.) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

By coincidence I was at an SCB branch today and needed to do a transaction that required me to hand over my passport for ID verification purposes. The teller looked at the ID page and asked me to lower my facemask. I did so and thought nothing of it until I saw this topic. No idea if a photo was also part of the checking process but, as noted by others, hardly a concern with the abundance of cctv cameras. 

Sounds like the OP was unhappy that the teller ignored his tin foil hat.:biggrin: 

There we are then!

Next it will be "Old out yer'and"... but before they dole back your nest egg, it will, be to scan your MoB chip. Which you will have no qualms about having implanted in due course.

Unless, that is...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

I am always asked to pull down my mask for a moment when I withdraw money. Not sure if they take a picture or just want to compare my face with the photo in the ID card. But anyhow - in not Corona times everything what happens in the bank is filmed too. So what? 

Always eh?

They will have been instructed to ensure you display your finest feature to the security camera, merely as a procedural matter. But eventually it will be for Bio-metrics.

Do you say "so what" to that too?

Or do you pause for a little thought and reflection?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solinvictus said:

I have noticed Thai folks become very suspicious easily and assume much if you are concerned about privacy matters or do not wish to speak Thai with them..

????

They all know me very well, and even email me now and then. It's nothing to do with Bank privacy or suspicion at the counter, and I don't mind speak Thai with them.

I'll pop in and quiz the Staff about it.

Let us know if your pictureis recorded on your account interface at the teller's monitor next time you visit your bank.

Events are moving along faster than we previously imagined.

• Haha 1

How are the staff supposed to compare one's face with the photo in the passport, when half the face is covered? Standard procedure at my Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank branches to lower my mask briefly for verification.

Just wondering - what does the OP do when Immigration invades his privacy?

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How are the staff supposed to compare one's face with the photo in the passport, when half the face is covered? Standard procedure at my Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank branches to lower my mask briefly for verification.

Just wondering - what does the OP do when Immigration invades his privacy?

Source error: Passport was not requested, they all know me well enough already.

"Invasion of privacy" is not the point of this thread.

Give it some thought, and you'll maybe see something new.

... Or maybe not ????

Edited by cmjc

3 minutes ago, cmjc said:

Source error: Passport was not requested, they all know me well enough already.

"Invasion of privacy" is not the point of this thread.

Give it some thought, and you'll maybe see something new.

... Or maybe not ????

People who attempt to patronize me only get one bite of the cherry. On ignore now.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here's my follow-up response, after I received the explanation when I asked at Bkk Main Branch...

1) Do Bkk Bank now record our images on their databank account pane? 
Answer: No ????

2) Do they use biometric data gathering via their security cameras?
Ans: No, not yet.

3) Why was I asked to remove my face-mask, despite signs saying to wear one in the bank?
Ans: That would be so Staff could verify it was you, and be seen by the security camera to be following bank protocols.

4) Why wasn't my passport asked for then?
Ans: Because they know you as a regular customer.

So there we are Chumlies, your unique iris-patterns, implanted chips, bar-codes, and finger-prints are perfectly safe from pilfering in Bangkok Bank...   for the moment at least.

And remember, Big Brother always keeps your best interests at heart.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:53 PM, Lacessit said:

People who attempt to patronize me only get one bite of the cherry. On ignore now.

As if I would even think of "biting your cherry".

You will be sadly missed ????