Thailand No Longer Top Overseas Destination for Chinese Tourists

snoop1130

9 hours ago, saakura said:

Lots of angry and bitter posts, BUT,  when everything is back to normal (as in pre-covid days), i am certain that the Chinese, Indians, Arabs, Malays etc. whom these posters hate will all be back and welcomed. Maybe in lesser numbers, but even a tiny percentage from their billions of citizens are enough to relegate farangs to the bottom of the preferred list.

The way I observed these Chinese, Indians, Arabs and Malays get relegated to the bottom of the preferred list of Pattaya girls, I do not envy them, no matter how welcome or in how many numbers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, onebir said:

I've seen fairs selling Thai products + quite a few Thai tourist t-shirts & met Thai students in Kunming, so I don't think it's quite that bad...

Kunming is a perfect place for Thais to visit and to do business.   They have more freedoms to sell in China than foreigners do in their country.  It may not be that bad, but TAT needs to do a much better job, but that is something those on this forum know tool well.   I know Thais who go their for medical treatment.   They like the city.   Kunming is a lovely city. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Blumpie said:

TAT had better understand that it is going to take a tremendous amount of time before numbers ever turn back to normal.  It will not be the year after next either.  

So 2.5 is years from now it's anyone's guess what the industry will even look like.  

Thats should be the official definition of "wishful thinking"

10 hours ago, yellowboat said:

How do the Thais market themselves in China?   Lived and visited all over China.  Never saw an advertisement.   Does Thailand expect others to do their advertising for them?  Kunming is a great city, only two hours from Bangkok.   No advertising in the airport.   No advertising anywhere in the city.  Thailand could be a million miles away by looks of the lack of influence.  It is probably the nationalistic, military government that just doesn't make people feel welcome.    

We take "face" just as seriously as you do!

So come on down to Thailand, where we can show you how bad behaviour is done, learn from the best!!!!

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

They need to quarantine when they return to China.

That essentially ended Chinese foreign tourism to everywhere.

It's the same situation in Thailand, how many Thais are going away on foreign holidays right now?

Hawaii is opening up to Japan tourists, but they have to quarrantine on return..

Raining all day in My Rainforest..

Wanna buy some raw land, so can eat? My 4 Seasons taxi dried up..

Alohaaz..!!

Edited by KonaRain
  • Like 1

When the smoke clears you can see it isn't going to happen no matter what!  Even before the Virus Chinese were saying especially those on the bus load what you are over the excitement of being able to leave your country for the first time, seen the Temples, elephants, gotten you Thai massage and shuttle to places to get them to buy Thai products what is really left? They have the same things in China.????

Does all this bad news make the Baht stronger now?

Chinese tourism is dangerous to the world and some of the great destinations in the world. 

Sustainable tourism will be gone. 

If Only China actually built decent stuff in their own country and had a solid domestic tourism. They have a few attractions in Beijing, but the rest of the country is a dump. Concrete wall to wall, all historical legacies gone, replaced with wall to wall condos and pollution. 

I went to Shanghai, thinking it would be some exotic gateaway a few years ago. My word the place was simply awful. One of the worst sterile cities i have ever visited. No wonder the Chinese are desperate to get away. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Does all this bad news make the Baht stronger now?

Unfortunately stronger, and it is so much a mystery as to why, when everything is still upside down, other than the fact that the many Thai's I know who have returned after selling their properties and businesses who have repatriated USD, became richer than they were in the US as they had already used USD when it was higher and the Baht was lower to buy properties and build houses here.  

15 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I fear that when this is over it will no longer be an overseas destination for far more than the Chinese

Would be nice if they would clean up the beaches and seas, ban plastic bags and ban the noisy water taxis that totally ruined places like Koh Phi Phi.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

Chinese tourism is dangerous to the world and some of the great destinations in the world. 

Sustainable tourism will be gone. 

If Only China actually built decent stuff in their own country and had a solid domestic tourism. They have a few attractions in Beijing, but the rest of the country is a dump. Concrete wall to wall, all historical legacies gone, replaced with wall to wall condos and pollution. 

I went to Shanghai, thinking it would be some exotic gateaway a few years ago. My word the place was simply awful. One of the worst sterile cities i have ever visited. No wonder the Chinese are desperate to get away. 

Yes, the common high-rises are Stalinist-ugly and abut each other like a concrete forest. The supermarket I went to in Dalian was a nightmare of snaking lines, massive crowds and carnival barker promoters with megaphones in every corner.

Edited by Dustdevil

15 hours ago, zzzzz said:

do the Chinese need quarantine for 14 days if they travel to Japan or South Korea?

If not.  well that answers why their going there.  ????????

I believe they do. There was a story about a female who travelled to Japan from Hong Kong and she said she needed a 14 day lock down but she was not closely watched.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Chinese are looking for some fresh air and visiting the most polluted city on the planet during peak season has somehow lost it charm. Sadly, the TAT is finding out that horrendous PM 2.5 air pollution is something tourists tend to avoid. ????

• Like 1

This is what comes with shooting oneself in the foot with a 12 gauges shotgun! Brilliant thinkers at the TAT and the rest of the government. Thai is cooked for the times to come I fear. Between the demonstrations... the cost of getting a visa... the quarentee time & cost.... who in their right mind would say "Sure why not go to Thailand" . These are the times we are in right now. They will change.... but the recovery will take a lot of time and the hurt now being experienced will get even  worse before it gets better. Perhaps even terrible if the civil unrest gets violent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1