Focus on fish and economic fair play as EU-UK trade talks go on remotely

snoop1130

Focus on fish and economic fair play as EU-UK trade talks go on remotely

eryt.PNG

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British and European Union negotiators on Monday resumed talks on their post-Brexit relationship via video-conferencing, with the focus still squarely on dividing up fishing quotas and ensuring fair competition for companies, including on state aid.

Face-to-face talks, suspended last week after a member of the EU delegation tested positive for the coronavirus, will resume in London “when it is safe to do so”, said a source who follows Brexit, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Another source, an EU official, added: “The differences on the level playing field and fisheries remain major.”

These issues are the key obstacles to clinching a new deal to maintain free, frictionless trade between the estranged allies after Britain’s standstill transition out of the EU following Brexit completes at the end of this year.

British newspaper The Sun reported at the weekend that the negotiators were looking at a review clause that would allow a renegotiation of any new fishing arrangement from 2021 in several years’ time.

An EU diplomat, a third source who spoke under condition of anonymity, confirmed that such an idea was under discussion, but added that the bloc insisted on linking it to the overall trade agreement, meaning fishing rights could only be renegotiated together with the rest of trade rules.

“We need to uphold the link between fishing and trade rules, this comes in a package,” said the person.

The EU official stressed that annual renegotiation of fishing quotas was still a no-go for the 27-nation bloc. Fisheries are a particularly sensitive issue for France.

Thierry Breton, the French representative on the European Commission, the EU executive, said last week: “We shouldn’t have in the Brexit deal revision clauses in one or two years, when everything would change again... We won’t let that happen. We need to give our entrepreneurs predictability.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-23

a political hot potato,a deals in everyones interest and fishing is a small detail in a very much bigger picture.there needs to be compromise on both sides,the problem is these are no longer eu waters theyre Uk waters and the UK side has the right to manage them now.the french and other fishers take fish the brits dont want or use,the brits must allow that to continue and they also sell a lot of their fish to eu,they obviously want to do that more at the expense of french boats particularily,the agri lobby is huge in france hence we have this problem.annual meetings ummmm.stocks can and have been very over fished but  both sides will look at that suspiciously ,a middle way but tying fishing in as part f the broader trade agreement and hanging that over all our heads is a bit much and thats where the problem lies.as the other issues are bigger and far more important.ahhh major and blair could have avoided all this but.....here we are dealing with politicos dirty deals .....again.slightly off topic but why isnt blair in jail?the hague should have grabbed him a decade back, a liar and a mass murderer wow what these guys can get away with.all conveniently brushed under the carpet ,disgraceful

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

A no deal will hurt the EU. Anyone who thinks it won't isn't living in the real world. It will also hurt the UK. For how long is very debatable.

No one expects to leave and get a deal better than being a member. To think anyone would think that is foolish. But no one expects to leave and still be managed by the organization that you've left. That's just as foolish.

Both markets are valuable to each other. But not, as both have repeatedly stated, at any price. France repeatedly stating that their fishing rights are not negotiable and must not change shows how stubbornly selfish some are being. Germany wants control, because Germany always wants to control others, and be in charge of the rules which she breaks herself when convenient. 

There was a lot of misinformation, fake news and downright lies in the UK over Brexit, pre and post. I'm pretty sure there has been the same in EU member states.

I saw a program interviewing French fishermen. They stated, very clearly, that they would accept lower quotas, as a little was better than nothing. But in this case, wanted a program of compensation agreeing with the French government. It's the politicians refusing to compromise. Loss of face isn't restricted to Asia!

Of course a no deal will hurt the EU but it will hurt the UK more. Anyone not seeing that does not live in the real world.

You will be managed by the organization you left if you want favorable access to its market. Seems logical you either submit to to those laws or agree to pay tariffs. If the UK does not want to agree to fair play then go for WTO rules and WTO tariffs. If you want better submit to the rules asked. The UK is not the powerful party. 

Germany has every right for control, they are an economic powerhouse. I feel countries that have a better economy and pay more into the EU have more rights then those who pay less. The French are selfish but the Brits are stupid. (just read the article about the fishing they both just need to accept they can't have it all and that a deal is better then no deal).

IMHO there should be changes in the EU nobody thinks the EU is perfect but  its better as doing it on your own. Especially for countries like mine. You should see how many are pro EU. Probably because we haven't been manipulated like the Brits. Easiest deal ever. No problems... right 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, transam said:

So you had to make a personal jibe,  you are good at that.....:clap2:

I know I was trying to get some substance for you but like all others i understand that that is impossible so some jibes are all i can do to try to force you to actually engage your brain in the discussion like so many others have asked of you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I know I was trying to get some substance for you but like all others i understand that that is impossible so some jibes are all i can do to try to force you to actually engage your brain in the discussion like so many others have asked of you. 

Making jibes of no substance except bashing, is the choice of losers....Try not to do it in future...Thank you...

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

Making jibes of no substance except bashing, is the choice of losers....Try not to do it in future...Thank you...

Trans the jibe was just right again most participants ask you to come up with some facts stop the loser one liners Thank you. 

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

Then you will never get it I don't mind the EU holding firm on this. We will see what the UK gets. You can't get low tariffs and level playing field you can get higher tariffs and a non level playing field. Its really simple. Agree and you get better tariffs don't and you won't. 

The fishing rights thing is just stupid compromise there as its better for both sides.

Says the guy who has quoted here his country NEEDS the EU......????

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Says the guy who has quoted here his country NEEDS the EU......????

Yes my country needs the EU, its really useful for a small trading nation to be part of a larger block. Can you tell me why it is a bad thing ? Please come up with some facts for once. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

IMHO there should be changes in the EU nobody thinks the EU is perfect but  its better as doing it on your own. Especially for countries like mine. You should see how many are pro EU.

And that's the problem the EU wont change. people vote against them in referendums and they get ignored or told to vote again. You talk like your country being pro EU is progress. Many in the 1930s were pro for a party and ideology in Germany. Looked what happened there.

How narrow minded they are and the full brunt of what the EU has done, has only just started.  The UK had the foresight to leave.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

The fishing rights thing is just stupid compromise there as its better for both sides.

It is not stupid. the UK waters have been raped for years by the French, Dutch, Spanish and others. They should have to pay back for the destruction of the seas that have happened.

• Like 2