Back to normal after Easter: UK aims to roll out COVID vaccines next month

snoop1130

Back to normal after Easter: UK aims to roll out COVID vaccines next month

btghb.PNG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Health Secretary Matt Hancock speaks during a media briefing at Downing Street, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in London, Britain November 20, 2020. Trevor Adams/Pool via Reuters

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will seek to start administering a COVID-19 vaccine before Christmas with the bulk of the rollout at the start of the new year, with life getting back to normal after Easter, health minister Matt Hancock said on Monday.

“We hope to be able to start vaccinating next month,” Hancock told BBC TV after AstraZeneca announced its vaccine could be up to 90% effective.

“The bulk of the vaccine rollout programme will be in January, February, March. And we hope that sometime after Easter things will be able to start to get back to normal.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-23

excellent news.congratulations.the sooner the better,obviously the embassy staff will be getting the jab so i hope the rest of uk passports holders will also receive it or will it be more of that embassy superiority that so many of us find extremely irritating.perhaps we will have to buy the vaccine from the thai hospitals,wow the irony -they get it at cost and then charge us the Uk taxpayer in my case some rip off price to get it.i hope thats not the case but experience leads me to  other conclusions.perhaps in the forum the consular office runs here that question could be asked.should be interesting.i was in bangkok many months but have now returned to hk,the same applies here but many friends in thailand are asking the same question.your passport and 20 quid,everyones happy id say.

• Like 1

Heard on LBC yesterday that closing the pubs at 10pm was causing folk to congregate outside.

Closing at 11pm will do what.....cause folk to congregate outside.

Last orders will be called at 10pm but you can stay to drink until 11pm. So come 10pm, get four or five rounds in !

And some posters here critisize the Thai alcohol rules!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

And some posters here critisize the Thai alcohol rules!

They are very silly rules and deserve criticism    no sale of alcohol from 2 PM till  5 PM   and from midnight until 11 AM every day !!!!  why ?  they say to stop school kids drinking !!!!!! :crazy:

P_20190718_134859.thumb.jpg.04d330b6a5d0cda4edecf3c8a974bc9f.jpg

10 minutes ago, johng said:

They are very silly rules and deserve criticism    no sale of alcohol from 2 PM till  5 PM   and from midnight until 11 AM every day !!!!  why ?  they say to stop school kids drinking !!!!!! :crazy:

Schoolkids cannot buy alcohol anyway .

Its to stop people from drinking all day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

There used to be similar rules in UK, and no booze in Scotland on Sundays. Yes, very silly, and did it stop the Scots from drinking?    555

'Sometime after Easter' ....... Hmm. They may get the vaccine doses, but the logistics of actually injecting say 40 million people twice is the issue. Doctors and nurses going to stop doing other medical work until everyone vaccinated?

I would be willing to bet it will be more like summer. And how long before needing a re-vaccination?

On 11/25/2020 at 7:07 AM, rickudon said:

'Sometime after Easter' ....... Hmm. They may get the vaccine doses, but the logistics of actually injecting say 40 million people twice is the issue. Doctors and nurses going to stop doing other medical work until everyone vaccinated?

I would be willing to bet it will be more like summer. And how long before needing a re-vaccination?

Giving the jab is simple enough. Any competent person can be trained to give it, and as long as supervised by a qualified nurse should be acceptable. For that matter, could employ retired nurses.

However, given the vaccine hasn't even been approved it seems premature to be talking about "back to normal" already.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, CorpusChristie said:

Back to normal ?

Lets not forget that we've had the flu vaccine for 73 years now and that kills many every year

As flu viruses evolve so quickly, last year's vaccine may not protect from this year's viruses. New flu vaccines are released every year to keep up with rapidly adapting flu viruses. In the UK, take up of the vaccine each year is low, even amongst those vulnerable groups for whom it is free.  

Plus, no vaccine is 100% effective.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Giving the jab is simple enough. Any competent person can be trained to give it, and as long as supervised by a qualified nurse should be acceptable. For that matter, could employ retired nurses.

Indeed, and various health authorities are already adverting for non clinical staff. For example: Ushering and Patient Flow Volunteer

The NHS is gearing up for mass delivery of the Covid-19 vaccine, as soon as it becomes available.

While it isn’t yet certain when a Covid-19 vaccine will be available, the NHS in Surrey Heartlands is working hard to ensure we are ready to offer it when it is.

This will be the biggest immunisation programme of our time.

We now need your help to fill a number of clinical and non-clinical roles including vaccinators and support staff, we ask you to step forward in the continued fight against coronavirus and work with us to deliver an effective Covid-19 vaccination programme. Full training will be provided for all roles.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, and various health authorities are already adverting for non clinical staff. For example: Ushering and Patient Flow Volunteer

Volunteers!!!!!!! They are taking the ............. If they want people to risk becoming infected from helping out the least they can do is pay them. Hospitals exploit nurse's goodwill by underpaying them and overworking them all the time ( as I know personally from being exploited as a nurse ), so any that agree to go back should insist on being paid to do so, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Volunteers!!!!!!! They are taking the ............. If they want people to risk becoming infected from helping out the least they can do is pay them. Hospitals exploit nurse's goodwill by underpaying them and overworking them all the time ( as I know personally from being exploited as a nurse ), so any that agree to go back should insist on being paid to do so, in my opinion.

As the page begins with 

CSH Surrey are part of the NHS and are Surrey’s largest and longest established NHS community services provider, so our 1500+ employees get NHS pay and pensions, and also receive the Fringe ‘High Cost Allowance’ of 5%.

I think they will be paid.

9 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As the page begins with 

I think they will be paid.

Depends if they think they can get people to do it for free. Employees have to have qualifications etc.

Although I'm a registered nurse I can not work as a nurse unless I jump through several hoops, including paying a lot of money to be valid and I'd have to prove I can work safely etc by doing a return to nursing course. Volunteers would not need any of that.

Having worked as a nurse for decades I have little faith in nursing management. The public have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends if they think they can get people to do it for free. Employees have to have qualifications etc.

Although I'm a registered nurse I can not work as a nurse unless I jump through several hoops, including paying a lot of money to be valid and I'd have to prove I can work safely etc by doing a return to nursing course. Volunteers would not need any of that.

Having worked as a nurse for decades I have little faith in nursing management. The public have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes.

Whilst the vaccinators will, I assume, require some form of clinical qualification, support staff wont.

I have applied for a similar position at a local Covid testing centre when it opens. As I will not be involved in any clinical duties, no qualifications are required. Just as those soldiers performing such duties currently do not need clinical qualifications.