Two Thai vaccine prototypes at human trial stage, 5 being tested on animals

snoop1130

But here's the detail that I've been wanting to hear more about, and obviously am going to have to wait....leaving a big unknown question of how long any vaccine-inducted immunity is likely to last:

Vaccine developers will not know how long any protection lasts for a number of months as they monitor antibody levels to see how quickly they fade. U.K. and European Union regulators are conducting accelerated reviews of the results from both Astra and Pfizer, which has applied for an emergency use authorization in the U.S.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-23/astra-oxford-vaccine-prevents-average-of-70-of-covid-cases

41 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here's the problem with Dr. Fauci's optimism about the vaccines achieving broad societal immunity:

Not enough Americans seem willing to actually be vaccinated:

U.S. Public Now Divided Over Whether To Get COVID-19 Vaccine

Concerns about the safety and effectiveness of possible vaccine, pace of approval process

As efforts to develop and test a COVID-19 vaccine spur debate around the timing and release of a federally approved vaccine, the share of Americans who say they would get vaccinated for the coronavirus has declined sharply since earlier this year.

About half of U.S. adults (51%) now say they would definitely or probably get a vaccine to prevent COVID-19 if it were available today; nearly as many (49%) say they definitely or probably would not get vaccinated at this time. Intent to get a COVID-19 vaccine has fallen from 72% in May, a 21 percentage point drop.

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2020/09/17/u-s-public-now-divided-over-whether-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/

Not surprisingly, the 49% share above who say they probably won't get vaccinated is close to the share of votes (47.2% at present) that virus denier Trump got in the recent U.S. election.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If the two percentages coincide by demographic, it could be an excellent opportunity to cull the herd.

I've previously speculated on a vaccine for stupidity, perhaps I was looking at the wrong end of the telescope.

I find myself torn/divided on that point...

On one hand, I'm almost to the point of saying, OK, let them have their "freedom" and live (or die) with the consequences.

But on the other hand, stupid, careless, ill-informed people who get themselves infected and sick also have an unfortunate tendency to spread the same to innocents around them. Which makes me feel the health and benefit to society of not allowing it outweighs the "you had it coming" aspect of doing nothing.

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like the astrazenica vaccine is only 70% effective.  Thailand better look at the Moderna and Pfizer vaccinez if they want want a workable one to copy...  

apparently the first jab gives immunity of 70% then you have a booster jap 21days later bring it up to 90%. In Australia they announced that vaccination will probably start in March. Quantas Airlines then stated no jab no fly policy. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Looks like the astrazenica vaccine is only 70% effective.  Thailand better look at the Moderna and Pfizer vaccinez if they want want a workable one to copy...  

Depends whether you have the half jab then the full one later the 90% effective and easier to store and transport.