Divorce and Visa question (urgent)

23 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Immigration will only know about your divorce if you tell them. If you do tell them then you have to leave immediately.

Yes the main barrier is a hostile ex-wife who knows she can cause you issues. 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Quote: 

PS: because of her very high position in Thai government she wants to divorce like coming Monday. Because she must report her status and everything at the end of this month.

She is being amenable ie not making life hard for him, why rock the boat?

My ex was amenable until I got a new partner then all hell broke lose and she did her best to make my life a misery. If he is divorced but still on a marriage visa/extension then he is in a precarious position until he gets a new visa type. I wouldn't take the chance. Also, if she is in Thai government at a high position it would only take her one phone call to immigration... I don't see why she is such a hurry to divorce. Simply report now that she is still married to satisfy her employers and once divorced, update her status.

27 minutes ago, The Theory said:

If you are planing to leave the country by the time your visa expires, no problem. 
But if you try to change your visa after divorce then it could become a problem (overstay).

I think when he will be leaving country with Marriage visa in the passport without re-entry, there will be questions.

Just a thoughts...

Please keep updating this topic.

I also want to divorce my Thai wife (waiting for better personal finances first) and want to know the best way and what could happen.

Currently married for 23 years and daughter 22 years old all my money gone to family for house, cars, university plus all monthly bills and living costs. I am 54 years old.

My name is not on anything but plan to soon try to get my name on the house documents if it means anything i'm not sure. I believe everything owned in Thailand during marriage is available to attempt for 50/50 but we are still paying the house off for several more years. But she would never sell it and has no money or other assets to attempt for.

any advise on requirements and relatively painless way to do this thanks  

On 11/24/2020 at 1:53 AM, problemfarang said:

So.. me and wife decided to divorce after 7-8 years marriage. No kids.

I did my 1 year extension non-o using an agency last July. they are also doing my 90 days. (did first one)

Im also working with my non-o visa and have work permit. 

if im not mistaken, after divorce i need to go to immigration and tell them about the story and leave the country, right?

No. I obtained my non O for marriage but extended it based on retirement.

Unless you don't qualify for retirement you can do same.

IMO you can't work after divorce as work permit is only valid if married. Can't work on retirement extension

Unless she wants to get married again why don't you wait to get divorced? Don't have to sleep in the same bed

14 minutes ago, Jeffro008 said:

I also want to divorce my Thai wife (waiting for better personal finances first) and want to know the best way and what could happen.

Currently married for 23 years and daughter 22 years old all my money gone to family for house, cars, university plus all monthly bills and living costs. I am 54 years old.

My name is not on anything but plan to soon try to get my name on the house documents if it means anything i'm not sure. I believe everything owned in Thailand during marriage is available to attempt for 50/50 but we are still paying the house off for several more years. But she would never sell it and has no money or other assets to attempt for.

Best way is amphur divorce with no contest, but you'd probably have to give her everything to get it.

Only 50/50 on anything bought AFTER marriage.

Why get divorced at all unless one wants to get married again? You can live separate lives.

48 minutes ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

I think when he will be leaving country with Marriage visa in the passport without re-entry, there will be questions.

Just a thoughts...

They may warn him but usually leaving the county is straightforward except in the case of overstay

49 minutes ago, Jeffro008 said:

Jeff, you will find detailed advice in the marriage divorce forum. You could start a thread there and basically paste your post there. Warning lot of troublesome accounts.

My guess is you will walk out with very little.

The debt on buildings is added issue. 

All covered in the forum I mentioned.

Good luck

8 hours ago, VyacheslavKHV said:

Just a thoughts...

IMO

Not having re-entry permit in passport is not a problem for departures, but the extension is needed to be valid (no overstay), no re-entry permit is the passport holder decision (no return, or changing visa type). 
Besides that, he would be able to obtain a re-entry permit before departing while the extension is still valid. Perhaps next Jan by the same agency or no agency. 

On 11/24/2020 at 3:09 PM, jackdd said:

Why don't you just apply for an extension based on working?

to do that i need to leave the country and go back to my own country. there are 22 listed countries that cannot get non-b from near countries to thailand. If i go out, well you know the rest because of covid its kinda very difficult to come back.

im sure you cannot change your non-o to non-b in thailand too. 

16 hours ago, The Theory said:

IMO

Not having re-entry permit in passport is not a problem for departures, but the extension is needed to be valid (no overstay), no re-entry permit is the passport holder decision (no return, or changing visa type). 
Besides that, he would be able to obtain a re-entry permit before departing while the extension is still valid. Perhaps next Jan by the same agency or no agency. 

yes leaving is no problem if not overstay. And probably thats what im going to do. leave and get a new visa in next july or before. meanwhile stay away from immigration. last 7-8 years i never ever even passed front of their door. So probably i wont now too. As everyone mentioned yes its illegal to do so but also immigration will not know about my situation unless i go there and tell them by myself. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, Jeffro008 said:

hi jeff,

you need to talk to your wife. and convince her to divorce at amphue. its the easiest. takes 3-4 min to finish all things. but if she starts to ask for the house and other things, yes everything is 50-50 for the things after you married.

19 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

to do that i need to leave the country and go back to my own country. there are 22 listed countries that cannot get non-b from near countries to thailand. If i go out, well you know the rest because of covid its kinda very difficult to come back.

im sure you cannot change your non-o to non-b in thailand too. 

You don't need to leave Thailand and you also don't have to change from a non-o to non-b (that's not possible anyway).

All you have to do is apply for an extension based on working, using form TM7 and provide the required documents.

Just now, jackdd said:

You don't need to leave Thailand and you also don't have to change from a non-o to non-b (that's not possible anyway).

All you have to do is apply for an extension based on working, using form TM7 and provide the required documents.

i asked about this to my office HR. who knows well about these because shes doing all paper work for visas and work permits. She said it cannot be done. And yes khon kaen immigration also not doing it. im in bangkok but i first tried at KK immigration. because your visa and work situation is different. visa is for marriage. i dont think they will extend it for work. but if you know a way please tell me. thanks

6 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

i asked about this to my office HR. who knows well about these because shes doing all paper work for visas and work permits. She said it cannot be done. And yes khon kaen immigration also not doing it. im in bangkok but i first tried at KK immigration. because your visa and work situation is different. visa is for marriage. i dont think they will extend it for work. but if you know a way please tell me. thanks

The requirements are listed in documents 12 and 13 found in this thread: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/

As you can see, the requirement to apply for an extension based on working is to have any non-immigrant visa, which you have, you don't need a non-b visa.

The information which you got from your office HR is just wrong.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

The requirements are listed in documents 12 and 13 found in this thread: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/981135-laws-regulations-police-orders-etc/

As you can see, the requirement to apply for an extension based on working is to have any non-immigrant visa, which you have, you don't need a non-b visa.

The information which you got from your office HR is just wrong.

and can i do this after divorce? because i will divorce tomorrow morning.. all that documents probably cant finish in 1 day.

thnx for the link

PS: i cannot find the section you mentioned.. can you say which one please?

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

On a visa, yes, on an extension, no, he has 24 hours to exit the country or he is on overstay. I speak from personal experience, not something I think I read somewhwere.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:23 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Best way is amphur divorce with no contest, but you'd probably have to give her everything to get it.

Only 50/50 on anything bought AFTER marriage.

Why get divorced at all unless one wants to get married again? You can live separate lives.

we bassicly already have separate lives, like I rent the main room by myself in the house but i pay for everything every month for 25 plus years

3 minutes ago, Jeffro008 said:

we bassicly already have separate lives, like I rent the main room by myself in the house but i pay for everything every month for 25 plus years

Yes, our function in a marriage to a Thai woman seems to be that of paying and paying and paying. Somehow we don't seem to get much value for our money though.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes, our function in a marriage to a Thai woman seems to be that of paying and paying and paying. Somehow we don't seem to get much value for our money though.

yeah well I'm enjoying something and more and so very few discussions at home suits me because no arguments but other challenges arise lol so live is very interesting that way and some should never ask me on the local construction work n proceedures I am trying to control here at the moment

Archived