Ford Ranger Double Cab 2.2 XLT, Wildtrak Opinions

Banana7

Three years old places it in the Ranger PX2 family; the original MY2011 PX1 received a makeover in MY2015, becoming PX2. It was mostly just a facelift with new grill and bonnet lines and an all-new cabin interior (mainly dashboard), but late model PX2's, say from MY2018 onwards, although retaining the same 4-cylinder Duratorq 2.2 liter diesel engine, did benefit from subtle changes in engine management and better fuel economies. The current PX3 (from MY2019 onwards) has the all-new 2.0 liter EcoBlue Turbo or Biturbo diesels, depending on actual model. A completely new design (end of the PX line) is due for MY2022.

No major issues reported with them. The 2.2 has ample power if you're not hauling or towing. I see as many of them in tents and used car stands now as I see Vigo's and D-Max's. Spare parts are not a problem and service and repairs are generally good these days. You don't hear near as many horror stories as maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

• Thanks 1

Is the PX3 as or more reliable than the former PX2?

I hear PX3 vehicles that have the 2.0 L engine have problems with high-pressure fuel injectors, and could create a misfire in the engine built between February 2 and August 6, 2019. The engines were put into vehicles built between May 2 and July 10, 2019. Reported here: https://www.caradvice.com.au/803619/ford-stop-sale-ranger-everest-endura-transit-custom/

and also reported here:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-stop-sale-on-2-0-litre-turbo-diesel-continues-no-word-when-it-will-be-lifted-122711

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Is the PX3 as or more reliable than the former PX2?

I hear PX3 vehicles that have the 2.0 L engine have problems with high-pressure fuel injectors, and could create a misfire in the engine built between February 2 and August 6, 2019. The engines were put into vehicles built between May 2 and July 10, 2019. Reported here: https://www.caradvice.com.au/803619/ford-stop-sale-ranger-everest-endura-transit-custom/

and also reported here:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-stop-sale-on-2-0-litre-turbo-diesel-continues-no-word-when-it-will-be-lifted-122711

If you look at the spotty early history of the PX, the 3.2 engine featured in a few quite serious failures that were exacerbated by Ford's then rubbish after-sales performance and slow assessments of warranty claims back in 2011-12. There was also initial supply issues as most of the Thai production lines were slated for export. The local suppliers and parts manufacturers had been hammered by the effects of the 2011 floods so spare parts were also an issue, even for regular servicing. However, I don't recall many issues with the 2.2 engines.

By the time the PX2 hit the showrooms, with very few exceptions, service and reliability issues were mostly a thing of the past.

The comparatively few failures of the new 2.0 engine are bound to get some media attention, only if it's because the PX3 is something new and there's not a lot of them about. That's the same identical news article from two different sources BTW.

"CarAdvice understands the Ranger accounts for more than a quarter of the vehicles affected. While some of the affected cars are still with dealers, a number have already been delivered to customers. ..."

and

"Drive understands the Ranger accounts for more than a quarter of the vehicles affected. While some of the affected cars are still with dealers, a number have already been delivered to customers. ..."

When the Ranger Raptor had been on the market for maybe less than two months, there were two known serious engine failures, one of them here in Thailand. Compared with the Wildtrak 3.2 engine failures of about eight years earlier where warranty claims were slow and frequently contested, Ford replaced these Ranger Raptors completely, no engine swaps, no arguments. Just a brand new truck.

I have owned back-to-back PX's and totaled over 200,000 km since 2011. Only one minor mechanical issue that was dealt with under warranty and of the three recall jobs, two were done quickly with the inconvenience of the slow, third one compensated for. In my experience, services are done fast and done properly while you wait.

Good luck with whatever you eventually decide to buy.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

On my WT 2.2 from 2013 the AC completely failed earlier this year while I was stuck overseas working.

The failure was so severe that (according to my wife) smoke and steam was pouring out from under the bonnet and the truck had to be trucked to Ford (2 km away). That was 29k for a whole new AC unit which is not so bad actually. 

Then when they were fixing that, they phoned my wife and told her an engine gasket near the gearbox was not holding 100% tight anymore and they recommend it getting changed as well. That was over 8k because the gearbox have to be partly removed I believe.

Since then no problems and I would be very disappointed it there was, we just did a +2500km round trip up to North Thailand and back to Pattaya and no problems whatsoever.  

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

On my WT 2.2 from 2013 the AC completely failed earlier this year while I was stuck overseas working.

The failure was so severe that (according to my wife) smoke and steam was pouring out from under the bonnet and the truck had to be trucked to Ford (2 km away). That was 29k for a whole new AC unit which is not so bad actually. 

Then when they were fixing that, they phoned my wife and told her an engine gasket near the gearbox was not holding 100% tight anymore and they recommend it getting changed as well. That was over 8k because the gearbox have to be partly removed I believe.

Since then no problems and I would be very disappointed it there was, we just did a +2500km round trip up to North Thailand and back to Pattaya and no problems whatsoever.  

How many KM on your odometer?