Another solar light

I got bitten by the solar light microbe, probably because there are a few threads lately, and it is easy lightning.

My application would be for inside the perimeter.

Considering these because they are 30 cm wide, as I think those 13 cm lights will look just silly.

LE00008-1.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/118ledpirip65-i1573596575-s4247780769.html

Of course the same light is available at different prices, so my first question is, will they be the same thing or not?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/auoyo-led-motion-sensor-ip65-118-led-solar-wall-light-outdoor-i353306977-s720224660.html

From what I understand there are 118 led's of the type 2835smd, and google tells me that they are 0.2 - 0.5 watt.

I assume that mean 0.2 watt in dim mode, the way they would be used in my case, and 0.5 Watt in bright mode

118 x 0.2 Watt is 23.8 Watt, which I think is pretty bright. I remember the wall light that were installed before I removed them, had 5 Watt savings lamps.

Battery info seems to be a bit contradicting, but let's assume there is 3.7V 1800 mAh of battery in there, is that gonna get me through the night?

Any better ideas for my application are welcome, I don't need bright lights as I have large floodlights on the roof installed already, just something to break the darkness

Let's drop this over to the new Alternative Energy forum ????

I would get one or two to start with and see if they do what you want.

The specs shown for this type of thing are often apocryphal or at least wildly inaccurate so in reality it's a case of suck it and see.

They look neat, but with built-in panels you're not going to be able to align them for best energy collection.

With anything solar location is everything, on a sunny south facing wall they may well do the job, the same light on the north side of the house could prove disappointing.

7 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Be careful about the "motion sensor" lights, they only turn on when somebody walks by.

I wanted "mood" lighting at nights around my perimeter wall, but the motion sensors took away that all night lighting effect I was after.

The lights have 3 settings, one where the motion sensor is completely disabled, and the light stays in medium light mode from dusk till dawn.

Another setting where the light is in dim mode, and lightens up when movement, but since I have a closed perimeter, there will be no movement unless a burglar visits

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Let's drop this over to the new Alternative Energy forum ????

I would get one or two to start with and see if they do what you want.

The specs shown for this type of thing are often apocryphal or at least wildly inaccurate so in reality it's a case of suck it and see.

They look neat, but with built-in panels you're not going to be able to align them for best energy collection.

With anything solar location is everything, on a sunny south facing wall they may well do the job, the same light on the north side of the house could prove disappointing.

The second link (the higher priced one) gets very good ratings for his products on Lazada TH and SG.

From the pictures they look the same product, but do you think they are the same? A 30% saving on the same light is quite a lot.

Is it possible, with the spec I quoted in the OP, to calculate how long they would work if battery fully loaded?

It is not important to me that they stay on from dusk till dawn, the only thing I worry about is that if the battery depletes completely every night, it will be short lived

1 hour ago, Susco said:

The second link (the higher priced one) gets very good ratings for his products on Lazada TH and SG.

From the pictures they look the same product, but do you think they are the same? A 30% saving on the same light is quite a lot.

The same enclosure doesn’t mean that the internals are the same, though equally a higher price doesn’t mean that they are different.

• Like 1

Change of mind here.

Found these and think they are better for my solution, which is to just have some ambient light within the perimeter, and they are cheap as well. They are also the right size at 22cm wide.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/76120-cob-solarip65270-courtyard-i1737260286-s4994018142.html

They exist in 2 versions, with 76 LED and 120 LED, where the former has only one 1200mAh battery and the latter 2 of the same batteries.

Since I decide on the 76 LED, and it is the same housing for both versions, I assume I can add a second battery and thereby double the time they can be used.

Is that correct?

What I'm confused about is that they have COB LED panel, and while google tells me COB is more energy sufficient and more durable because of less heat, I wonder about one thing.

If you have 76 separate LED. I assume that if 10 of them fail you still have 66 working, and with COB that it will always be a complete panel that fails.

Is that a correct assumption?

On 11/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, Susco said:

If you have 76 separate LED. I assume that if 10 of them fail you still have 66 working, and with COB that it will always be a complete panel that fails.

Is that a correct assumption?

No.

The failure mode depends on the way the COB has been constructed and where and what the failure is. In exactly the same way as separate LEDs (that are often more than 1 on a chip) that fail can kill the light, or not.

• 1 year later...

Anyone got any other manufacturer of solar lighting they've used and like.

Saw 'Lamptan' at HomePro, various types, from small to flood, to street lights.  At least they have a page for specs:  

https://www.lamptan.co.th/th/products?category_products

Along with being on LAZ; 

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/lamptan-official?tab=promotion&path=promotion-30838-0.htm&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.card.1.745b2adf45nBu2&from=onesearch_brand_28859

Anyone have any experiences with them ?

TIA