Chulalongkorn U to start COVID-19 vaccine trial on humans in April next year

webfact

Chulalongkorn U to start COVID-19 vaccine trial on humans in April next year

CU-Vaccine.jpg

The Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is expected to begin the first phase of candidate COVID-19 vaccine trials in humans next April, said Professor Dr. Kiat Raxrungtham, director of the COVID-19 vaccine development project of the Vaccine Development Research Centre, today.

The BioNet-Asia Company, a partner in the vaccine trials, has procured raw materials needed for vaccine development, but it is concerned that there may not be a sufficient supply of such materials because some large corporations have already secured most of them.

Dr. Kiat also said that the 300-million baht budget for vaccine development, allocated in 42 million baht installments by the government, may not be enough, adding that at least one billion baht will be needed. He revealed that public donations may have to be solicited for the vaccine trials because, although the project is being supported by the National Vaccine Institute of Thailand, the funding might not be received in time.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chulalongkorn-u-to-start-covid-19-vaccine-trial-on-humans-in-april-next-year/

thaipbs.jpg

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University is expected to begin the first phase of candidate COVID-19 vaccine trials in humans next April

Personally  - especially as someone stuck outside Thailand - I find this extremely worrying.

The western world will probably all be inoculated by April all going well. A raring (Thai term) to go to Thailand. If Thailand is hoping to start testing vaccine in April - and not buy in - then the chances of them opening to foreigners before summer 2021 in my mind is extremely low if only to say for the safety of the Thai people,

I know there is talk in the UK about vaccines being added to passport, maybe that will help

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If Thailand is hoping to start testing vaccine in April - and not buy in

Thailand is buying in 26 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.  The article is about a different vaccine at an earlier stage of development.

Why is is taking so long for Thailand to get the vaccine.  The US will start in mid December while Thailand is taking more than another 6 months.  I am sure it will be no better than 70% when it should be 95% effective.   Seems the government is not doing its job for its people.  This is why students want changes.  I am willing to volunteer for the trail when they want some old man .  I also would like to see the PM and his cabinet volunteer on the trails.

Edited by Mango Bob

1 hour ago, ourmanflint said:

Thank the lord the world isn't relying on countries like Thailand to step up and save everyone

What a stupid statement! At least they’re trying to do something unlike most other countries who just wait for someone to step up so they can buy from them! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

Why is is taking so long for Thailand to get the vaccine.  The US will start in mid December while Thailand is taking more than another 6 months.  I am sure it will be no better than 70% when it should be 95% effective.   Seems the government is not doing its job for its people.  This is why students want changes.  I am willing to volunteer for the trail when they want some old man .  I also would like to see the PM and his cabinet volunteer on the trails.

The US is getting the vaccine mid December that BioNtech in Germany has developed. Chulalongkorn is developing their own. Big difference. BioNtech will be able to produce 1.5 billion doses next year, if I remember correctly. Since you need to be vaccinated twice that’s enough for only 750 million people. So far there’s only two other companies that will most likely also have vaccines ready soon. I‘m not sure how many doses they’ll be able to produce, but most likely all three of them won’t be able to produce enough for the entire world next year. Therefore it more or less still makes sense for Chulalongkorn to go ahead with their own trials and if it works out they can get all of the Thais vaccinated faster than if they had to wait for international vaccines. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Thank the lord the world isn't relying on countries like Thailand to step up and save everyone

Why should Thailand worry, no covid here - they just need to keep all the diseased farangs out - see it's not rocket science to ensure the population is free of covid ????

• Haha 1

Thailand is not exactly the biopharma capital of the world.  I can't think of one reason why Thailand is even trying to come up with its own vaccine.  Even if they are successful then there is the challenge of producing it and distributing it.  Who exactly is going to be available to produce this vaccine given all the producers will already be engaged with the other vaccines?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

What a stupid statement! At least they’re trying to do something unlike most other countries who just wait for someone to step up so they can buy from them! 

Why are they even bothering? There is zero point other than to try and look good, it will achieve exactly nothing

11 hours ago, Showtime said:

Thailand is not exactly the biopharma capital of the world.  I can't think of one reason why Thailand is even trying to come up with its own vaccine.  Even if they are successful then there is the challenge of producing it and distributing it.  Who exactly is going to be available to produce this vaccine given all the producers will already be engaged with the other vaccines?

Exactly, there is no point in this at all, it is a farcical display of Thai pomposity

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Why are they even bothering? There is zero point other than to try and look good, it will achieve exactly nothing

Apart from the fact that there's almost certainly going to be a long term need for a vaccine, and it will cost a lot less producing a local one than manufacturing a foreign one (with associated licence fees) or buying in a foreign one.  Seems like a pretty good point to me.

8 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Why are they bothering?! It’s pretty obvious! BioNtech and Pfizer will be able to produce only 1.5 billion doses in 2021. Since you need to get vaccinated twice this will be only enough to vaccinate 750 million people. Then there’s two more companies that will most likely have vaccines ready, but all three combined will not be able to produce enough doses to vaccinate the global population. This means that each country will get only a limited supply of vaccines. Therefore if Thailand can come up with their own vaccine they’ll be able to vaccinate their population in its entirety and most likely faster than waiting for overseas vaccines to become available to them, plus it will probably be cheaper as well.

• Haha 1