If you was a Landlord

On 11/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, ChipButty said:

I even changed the light bulbs the other day always looks better if someone comes to look

Especially when they come look in the evening.

On 11/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, ChipButty said:

All of our properties are empty at the moment

Sounds as if you are one of those landlords you describe in the OP

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, ChipButty said:

In the current situation if you were a landlord would you rather take a reduced rent or have your property empty?

I know of a few places where I live and the landlord would not reduce or give a grace period on the rent, 

The tenants had no option but to move out, them properties still remain empty 

One place was a small resort I drove by there the other day the jungle has taken over, the landlord has not maintained it and has a for rent sign outside.

..a close friend, (my lady) experienced the same thing with two premises..talk about cut off their noses to spite their faces..they insisted no rent reduction and everyone up and left, and now 9 months later they have gone to the wall not being able to service their loans..we tried to explain we could all help each other, but they didnt want to hear our idea..that's would-be Thai elitist for you!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, ChipButty said:

In the current situation if you were a landlord would you rather take a reduced rent or have your property empty?

I know of a few places where I live and the landlord would not reduce or give a grace period on the rent, 

The tenants had no option but to move out, them properties still remain empty 

One place was a small resort I drove by there the other day the jungle has taken over, the landlord has not maintained it and has a for rent sign outside.

I would definitely reduce the rent for a pre-determined period of time, having an occupant is good for keeping things running,  security, and for prospective tenants, if a place like a resort is empty it can put some people off.

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Its much more prudent to shut down the Rentals rather than reduce Rents.

Reduced Rents will only give more wear and Tear to the Properties which require repairing 

Thats the dilemma as always you have to give the place a coat paint to freshen up the place, things missing or broken, and bedding we had a tenant wash the bedding so now we have 1 pink sheet and 2 pink pillow cases

• Haha 2

As for me .. 

i would not reduce the rent at all .. it would be to hard to raise it back up .not a clear understanding of virus situation

BUT 

I would give a discount .. month to month  only   it seems much easier to go back to normal amount at any month 

dont u think this works better ?

• Like 1

Just now, ChipButty said:

Now you get cheeky plonkers posting add's on FB wanting 2 bedroom pool villas and their budget is 10,000 Baht per month

Does it come with daily cleaning and a chef?

I would be interested.

Please post some pictures.

Only prime location please.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Now you get cheeky plonkers posting add's on FB wanting 2 bedroom pool villas and their budget is 10,000 Baht per month

Many will find that unacceptable/insolent.

Many Thai landlords find a request of rent reduction unacceptable/insolent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

That's exactly why mine was rented out a week after the last tenant ended the contract. All those who stay empty are Thai owned. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Your are right, I did watch the post for a few days and he didn't any replies, see a lot in them FB groups it's like they are playing on the present situation

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

That's exactly why mine was rented out a week after the last tenant ended the contract. All those who stay empty are Thai owned. 

I have seen over the years people not wanting to rent from Thai owned properties, even Thai's

13 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I have seen over the years people not wanting to rent from Thai owned properties, even Thai's

The first one had interest but we had no washing machine, we bought one and she signed. Mind you, my kids used the place for three years and had no washing machine. The second one is friend of my son who goes to the same Uni my son's went. He asked for a discount as our rent was above the allowance that his father give him. We told him only if he takes good care he can have one, and his father agreed to pay a little more. We had no problems with the first tenant she took good care. I think you have to be flexible but still show that you will not except BS from their part and that you love your place and expect them to take care of it.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:05 AM, luckyluke said:

According to my Thai wife some landlords don't want at all to discuss about a price.

They fix a price, one accept it or not.

Some even consider it as an insult for trying to bargain.

I thought it was the "Thai way" to haggle. Maybe only for t-shirts? : )

Reducing rent for Thai's generally is a no no!

It's a Thainess thing, loss of face.

They rather leave the property sit empty or go broke.

My Muban has at least 10 -12 empty townhouses for many months now owned by Thai's. 

The rental and selling asking prices of them is over the top in the COVID-19 financial stressful economic times.