FTI wants car-exchange scheme to be restricted to locally made autos

webfact

FTI wants car-exchange scheme to be restricted to locally made autos

By THE NATION

800_3fc2a1534475915.jpg?v=1606185845

The government’s car-exchange scheme should be limited to domestically produced cars in order to truly boost the domestic economy, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) suggested.

“The private sector agrees that this scheme will help boost the country’s economy, but only if there are criteria stipulating that cars under the scheme must be domestically produced,” said Surapong Paisitpatnapong, vice president and spokesman of the FTI’s Automotive Industry Club.

640_89k8i7a7bideaj5jijjcg.jpg

Back in May, the FTI had proposed to the government a car-exchange measure under which vehicles 20 years or older could be handed over when a new car is bought, and buyers could be given a Bt100,000 discount. The authorities are working on the details and the criteria should be announced soon.

“Other criteria must also be considered carefully, such as the types of vehicles to be exchanged [cars, pickup trucks], as well as the fuel types [gas, electric, hybrid],” he added. “We need to consider which types of vehicles need to be promoted in the domestic market, and whether or not the exchange of vehicles of different types will be allowed.

“Limiting the scheme to only domestically produced cars would help not only local manufacturers, but also those in related industries and the supply chain,” added Surapong.

“We expect this campaign to help create more than 1 million jobs, most of which are in tier 3 automotive parts manufacturers, which are mostly small and medium-sized enterprises.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398480

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-24

I wonder if Musk would be interested in building a Giga Factory in the Eastern Economic Corridor.  Thousands of jobs, tens or even hundreds of thousands of electric cars for domestic use and for export.  Who knows, they might even start producing the low cost ($25,000) car Musk says they will start producing earlier than in three years as planned.

Other options are joint operations with some of the Chinese makers of small electric cars, which are selling like hot cakes there.  One extreme example is the tiny two-door Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV.  The manufacturer, SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co, is a joint venture of GM with partners SAIC Motor Corp and Guangxi Automobile Group.  This car is very basic, and critically lacks some safety features and only has a range of 200 km (125 mi) but starts at the equivalent of US $4200, with the price increasing to almost $6000 with extras.

ad more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/tesla-s-nemesis-in-china-is-a-tiny-5-000-electric-car-from-gm
Copyright © BloombergQuintwhich has revieved backing from General Motors.  This car is very basic with few safety features and only a 200 km (125 miles) range but starts at the equivalent of $4200 and with options up to about $6000.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The government’s car-exchange scheme should be limited to domestically produced cars in order to truly boost the domestic economy, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) suggested.

It's a bit like growing up in Thailand, you're taught from a young age you will be Buddhist, you must bow to your elders, and you'll only be able to afford a Toyota, Honda, Isuzu, Mazda.... blah blah blah.

How many cars, that are still around, were being manufactured in Thailand 20 years ago?

Why not any petrol of diesel care for an EV car at a low import duty to stimulate the EV industry...and perhaps get Elon interested to set up here...

That Surapong fella...must be close to 90 years old. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Hoping the program comes into effect in 2022 my 2002 CV-R is great but it is getting long in the tooth ...

I was thinking about selling my '02' Camry, but if this scheme comes to fruition, I'm holding on to it. My next car will be an EV.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

“Other criteria must also be considered carefully, such as the types of vehicles to be exchanged [cars, pickup trucks],

The good old Etan should be ok .. even with odd-job wheels and sideways looking headlight .. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

We need to consider which types of vehicles need to be promoted in the domestic market, and whether or not the exchange of vehicles of different types will be allowed

Dodgem cars .? Keep the kill rate down abit .. this will not end well .. anyone who's been in a leccy motor will know some can accelerate like pony offa shovel and given some Thai's have trouble controlling a diesel pickup mystic Meg thinks it is not a future blessed with a decreasing killrate .. 

IMG_20201124_134103.jpg

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1