In order to get STV visa....

7 minutes ago, RedReding said:

As a matter of fact, I'm in Laos right now.

I suggest you check with the embassy or the consulate about doing the application. I checked on the embassy website and did not find much info about it. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/

The STV is shown on the certificate of entry application site for Laos. See:https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

On 11/24/2020 at 3:37 AM, Xavi said:

In order to get a STV visa,

what is the difference between low-risk countries and medium-risk countries?

I guess it depends on how long you want to stay but don't forget that at the moment, you can get a 60 day tourist visa (+ possible extension)without jumping through the hoops of the STV. The crazy thing is that at the moment, the 60 day tourist visa is available in all countries, not just low risk ones.  Maybe I should not say 'crazy' - after 18 years of this stuff, maybe I should accept its normal ????.

• Like 1

my friend was granted a thai visa in vientienne about four weeks ago.  his visa was granted due to medical issues i believe

good luck OP - i hope you can get one

Good to know, thanks for the info.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I guess it depends on how long you want to stay but don't forget that at the moment, you can get a 60 day tourist visa (+ possible extension)without jumping through the hoops of the STV. The crazy thing is that at the moment, the 60 day tourist visa is available in all countries, not just low risk ones.  Maybe I should not say 'crazy' - after 18 years of this stuff, maybe I should accept its normal ????.

Got a house in Thailand so the longer the best really. Are you saying that the hoops of the STV aren't the same ones as the normal 60 day tourist visa ? What's the difference ?

34 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Got a house in Thailand so the longer the best really. Are you saying that the hoops of the STV aren't the same ones as the normal 60 day tourist visa ? What's the difference ?

For the STV it requires health insurance that provides 40k baht of out patient and 400k baht for in patient care.

It allows a 90 day entry that can be extended twice for 90 days.

Info here on Singapore embassy website.

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/types-of-visa/special-tourist-visa-stv

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For the STV it requires health insurance that provides 40k baht of out patient and 400k baht for in patient care.

It allows a 90 day entry that can be extended twice for 90 days.

Info here on Singapore embassy website.

https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/types-of-visa/special-tourist-visa-stv

I actually meet all the requirements, STV doesn't seem to be a bad shout in the end. Got a private insurance that covers me way beyond 100k USD. Good to know, i'm planning to move back to Thailand in April at the latest, who knows, maybe it will be easier by then too. Thanks Ubonjoe for being so helpful.

16 minutes ago, RedReding said:

I actually meet all the requirements, STV doesn't seem to be a bad shout in the end.

Be aware that after the two 90-day extensions of the STV, you will have to leave Thailand as that STV does not allow any further extensions.  So you can stay maximum 9 months on that Visa in Thailand.  Obviously when borders are open again after 9 months a border-run would be feasible (hopefully with quarantaine and other measures relaxed by that time).

Imo applying for the 60-day SingleEntry Tourist visa would be a better option for you, as that Tourist Visa allows you to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa in-country at the local IO of the province where you want to stay long-term in Thailand.  And subsequently you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa which can be extended continually (without the need to exit Thailand).

Imo applying for the 60-day SingleEntry Tourist visa would be a better option for you, as that Tourist Visa allows you to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa in-country at the local IO of the province where you want to stay long-term in Thailand.  And subsequently you can then apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa which can be extended continually (without the need to exit Thailand).

Thanks for your input. What are the requirements generally for the Non Imm O Visa ? You need to have a valid reason don't you, like studying Thai for example ?

17 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Thanks for your input. What are the requirements generally for the Non Imm O Visa ? You need to have a valid reason don't you, like studying Thai for example ?

You can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for various reasons.

E.g. for reason of retirement (when you are over 50 years of age), or for reason of marriage to a Thai national, or for reason of dependent Thai child, etc.

The application requirements are different dependent on the reason for applying for the Visa, but when applying for reason of retirement basically the only requirement to be met (apart from your age) is that you meet the financial requirements.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document for long-stay in Thailand when over 50 years of age, which outlines the application process as well as all options you have (different methods possible for meeting the financial requirements).

To access your PM messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged in to the Forum.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document for long-stay in Thailand when over 50 years of age, which outlines the application process as well as all options you have (different methods possible for meeting the financial requirements).

I'm really far away of being over 50 but I do appreciate your effort, thanks a lot for the PM.

I'm sure I'll find a solution once back in Thailand.

Edited by RedReding

7 minutes ago, RedReding said:

I'm sure I'll find a solution once back in Thailand.

Depending on how long you wish to stay in Thailand and of course things could become simple if borders open and quarantine etc not required there still would be options.

A setv entry then use agent later to obtain non o based on volunteering with 12 month extension.

Not cheap but suits longish stay.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Depending on how long you wish to stay in Thailand and of course things could become simple if borders open and quarantine etc not required there still would be options.

A setv entry then use agent later to obtain non o based on volunteering with 12 month extension.

Not cheap but suits longish stay.

I'll keep it in mind, thanks a lot.

When under 50 and not married to a Thai national, I now understand your interest in the STV. This because of the 9 months of stay you can squeeze out of it.  The 60-day Tourist Visa allows for one 30-day extension, but after that (actually earlier) you should have taken steps to ensure you can stay longer (a volunteer Visa may be an option, but requires Fixer Agent help to get).

I'm not really an authority on Thai visas because I work here and HR takes care of that, but two people I know are staying here long term on education and volunteer visas.  The first would come up in discussions, how that works out, and of course getting some type of education would be a part of that.  Per typical hearsay studying Thai or training for muay thai would cover that, but I'm not certain of that myself.

The second case is really odd.  Per standard input, which people never fail to mention, you need a work permit to do volunteer work, but oddly he has the visa but not a work permit.  It doesn't completely add up.  A local private visa agency recommended it and did his paperwork, and off he went, stamped for a year.

5 minutes ago, honu said:

Per standard input, which people never fail to mention, you need a work permit to do volunteer work, but oddly he has the visa but not a work permit. 

A work permit is no longer required for working as a volunteer. That changed a few years ago. 

7 hours ago, RedReding said:

Apart from what Ubonjoe pointed out, I believe that with a STV you have to book everything through a Thai agency.  You can read into that what you will.

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Apart from what Ubonjoe pointed out, I believe that with a STV you have to book everything through a Thai agency.  You can read into that what you will.

That was an initial requirement when they talked about making the new STV; it was not a requirement when they opened up for the STV.

One thing to be aware of with the STV; the embassy may only issue it if you are a national or have residence in the country where you apply. That is the case in Denmark and may be the case in other countries as well.

1 minute ago, farang51 said:

That was an initial requirement when they talked about making the new STV; it was not a requirement when they opened up for the STV.

Thanks, I wasn't aware things had changed - hard to keep up with the rate of changes ????

2 minutes ago, farang51 said:

One thing to be aware of with the STV; the embassy may only issue it if you are a national or have residence in the country where you apply. That is the case in Denmark and may be the case in other countries as well.

I suspected that might be the case.  It certainly is a requirement for the limited amount of countries that have gone over to E-Visa - there, all visa applications are subject to either being a national or having legal residence.

In this case however, I think the OP will be OK as he's in Laos.

I suspected that might be the case.  It certainly is a requirement for the limited amount of countries that have gone over to E-Visa - there, all visa applications are subject to either being a national or having legal residence.

I suspected that might be the case too. If it I really need residency in order to apply, I'll just go for the normal TV instead, not a big deal. Was planning to study Thai for a year once in Thailand anyway. I'll see what the situation is next year around March.