AIS 5G on the iPhone 12 is finally here!

Last night at around 12:00 AIS pushed a carrier update which finally included support for 5G on the iPhone 12! (Guess they are getting ready for the launch this Friday)

The speeds... not so impressing! 

Edit: Th speeds below were tested at Rama 9 in Bangkok, very near the Central Plaza shopping mall.

1951606190504_.pic.jpg

1961606190505_.pic.jpg

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

where was this? In Bangkok?

In Rama 9, near Central Plaza. Bangkok.

The speed is also somewhat consistent with what I would get on a Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G on this same spot (Between 200 and 300Mb/s). So it's most likely being limited by the network rather than the device itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I could get around 200MBps with 4G+ Mate 20 Pro so 5G is not much faster.

200MBps download for 4G+ meh, not too bad! For 5G is rather slow. 

But still I agree I have never been able to get over 500 Mbps download speed with 5G in Thailand. While back in Shenzhen with a Mate 30 Pro, around 1Gbps is the norm.

Don't really know what's the deal with 5G here, but it for sure isn't cheap!

I wonder if Thai carriers are following America's AT&T "policy" of labeling 4G+ (aka LTE Advanced) as 5Ge

Edited by ctxa
Added some info

remember that 5G for all the hype is very restricted distance wise.  for instance if you are in the next room of your house your phone will not get 5g.  In order for 5g to be effective they need to put a router on every street corder and in the middle of big blocks.  The sme goes with in malls.  stand at AIS and you will get 5G then start walking away and you will notice that it drops.

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

remember that 5G for all the hype is very restricted distance wise.

this isn't necessarily true, as 5G can be deployed on any/multiple frequency spectrums,

Some 5G is being deployed on 700MHz and 2600MHz. But the bandwidths at 40MHz and 190MHz are too narrow to support high-speed, high capacity. 

The primary target frequency of 26 and 28 GHz with bandwidth of 2550MHz and 3000MHz will easily support high speed, high user capacity  ...but at those higher frequencies, yes, the radio propagation characteristics are short-range and almost no barrier penetration. 

• Like 1

I don’t know about how well or not 5G works. An article I read 

on the forum talked about to get 5G you must have a plan that 

supports it... which sounds like a possible up tick in internet..

4G works for me .. would like to wean off of it all and find a cool

spot on beach with ,, dreaming who would do all the honey dos 

that she don’t..

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

remember that 5G for all the hype is very restricted distance wise.  for instance if you are in the next room of your house your phone will not get 5g.  In order for 5g to be effective they need to put a router on every street corder and in the middle of big blocks.  The sme goes with in malls.  stand at AIS and you will get 5G then start walking away and you will notice that it drops.

You are mixing up 5GHz wifi and 5th generation (5G) telephone system.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, ctxa said:

AIS pushed a carrier update which finally included support for 5G on the iPhone

Not much faster they say . It's a very big Money spinner .

Many people want  5G so many people want the latest phones.

It's like everything else Including Internet services they are all Limited .

Many times when the internet is very slow we have to call the provider they will come and check,they call the office after a while and say we will fix it .

They Turned it up for a week or so and then it starts slowing down again till one calls them again.

12 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

AIS 5G on the iPhone 12 is finally here but only on the 2600MHz band, right?

From the AIS faq

3.How is the frequency band used by AIS different from those by its competitors?
AIS 5G is in the 700MHz, 2600 MHz, and 26 GHz bandwidths—the greatest when compared with those of other operators. The bandwidths meet global standards, making them compatible with most devices currently available.
7.How do various bandwidths differ?
Specifications of Different Frequency Bands in 5G Spectrum Auction
  700 MHz 1800 MHz 2600 MHz 26 GHz
Frequency band low low average high
Signal level strong, with high penetrating power strong, with high penetrating power relatively strong, with some penetrating power not strong, with low penetrating power
Radio bandwidth low low average high
Speed not high not high moderately high very high
Coverage area perfect for 5G network with suburban and rural coverage perfect for 5G network with suburban and rural coverage very perfect for 5G network with urban, suburban and rural coverage due to its high signal strength and high traffic volume supportability perfect for 5G network in specific urban areas
Base station perfect with macro cells perfect with macro cells perfect with macro cells, micro cells, small cells and pico cells perfect with micro cells, small cells and pico cells
Usage perfect for IoT and low latency services perfect for IoT and low latency services perfect for high speed internet, low latency and IoT services
*Most devices and use cases to be developed are expected to support this band.
perfect for high speed internet and ultra-high broadband speed services due to its greatest bandwidth in comparison with those of other bands

17 minutes ago, RichCor said:

From the AIS faq

3.How is the frequency band used by AIS different from those by its competitors?
AIS 5G is in the 700MHz, 2600 MHz, and 26 GHz bandwidths—the greatest when compared with those of other operators. The bandwidths meet global standards, making them compatible with most devices currently available.
7.How do various bandwidths differ?
Specifications of Different Frequency Bands in 5G Spectrum Auction
  700 MHz 1800 MHz 2600 MHz 26 GHz
Frequency band low low average high
Signal level strong, with high penetrating power strong, with high penetrating power relatively strong, with some penetrating power not strong, with low penetrating power
Radio bandwidth low low average high
Speed not high not high moderately high very high
Coverage area perfect for 5G network with suburban and rural coverage perfect for 5G network with suburban and rural coverage very perfect for 5G network with urban, suburban and rural coverage due to its high signal strength and high traffic volume supportability perfect for 5G network in specific urban areas
Base station perfect with macro cells perfect with macro cells perfect with macro cells, micro cells, small cells and pico cells perfect with micro cells, small cells and pico cells
Usage perfect for IoT and low latency services perfect for IoT and low latency services perfect for high speed internet, low latency and IoT services
*Most devices and use cases to be developed are expected to support this band.
perfect for high speed internet and ultra-high broadband speed services due to its greatest bandwidth in comparison with those of other bands

One catch is that the version of the iPhone 12 that is sold in Thailand does not have a mmWave antenna.

The iphones sold here support only these bands:

n1 (2100 MHz)

n2 (1900 MHz)

n3 (1800 MHz)

n5 (850 MHz)

n7 (2600 MHz)

n8 (900 MHz)

n12 (700 MHz)

n20 (800 DD)

n25 (1900 MHz)

n28 (700 APT)

n38 (TD 2600)

n40 (TD 2300)

n41 (TD 2500)

n66 (AWS-3)

n71 (600 MHz)

n77 (TD 3700)

n78 (TD 3500)

n79 (TD 4700)

Edited by suzannegoh

37 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

On catch is that the version of the iPhone 12 that is sold in Thailand does not have a mmWave antenna.

The iPhone 12’s mysterious [side case] groove is a 5G mmWave antenna window — and it’s exclusive to the US

Probably not the return of “You’re holding it wrong”

TheVerge | By Sean Hollister | Oct 13, 2020, 6:45pm EDT

"Can confirm that this little thing on the side of the new [USA] iPhone is a mmWave antenna window!" -Nilay Patel

Intriguingly, though, it doesn’t seem to be a feature of iPhones that will be sold elsewhere in the world.

There’s a simple explanation behind the missing window, though: the iPhone 12 doesn’t support mmWave 5G outside of the United States. If you peruse Apple’s frequency bands page, you’ll see that compatibility with bands n260 and n261 are simply missing everywhere else in the world.

Honestly, I’m not sure it’s a huge loss. mmWave 5G does offer far higher speeds than the “nationwide” flavor of low-band 5G that you’ll also find rolling out today, but the only other consistent thing about mmWave is its inconsistency, since even outdoors, you might not find a signal from one street corner to the next. 5G isn’t a good reason to buy an iPhone this year, period. mmWave definitely isn’t.

-theVerge

apple iPhone 12

Model A2399 * / Model A2403 *

5G NR (frequency band n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n66, n77, n78, n79)

All models

5G (sub-6 GHz)

for reference

Wikipedia: 5G NR frequency bands

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

One catch is that the version of the iPhone 12 that is sold in Thailand does not have a mmWave antenna.

The iphones sold here support only these bands:

n1 (2100 MHz)

n2 (1900 MHz)

n3 (1800 MHz)

n5 (850 MHz)

n7 (2600 MHz)

n8 (900 MHz)

n12 (700 MHz)

n20 (800 DD)

n25 (1900 MHz)

n28 (700 APT)

n38 (TD 2600)

n40 (TD 2300)

n41 (TD 2500)

n66 (AWS-3)

n71 (600 MHz)

n77 (TD 3700)

n78 (TD 3500)

n79 (TD 4700)

Well, I didn’t use the Thai version of the iPhone 12. Not even out for sale yet until Friday. 

I imported that iPhone 12 from China (mainly because of physical dual SIM). While the bands are almost identical to those of the Thai version. It lacks band n71, not sure if that could affect speeds!

6 hours ago, ctxa said:

Well, I didn’t use the Thai version of the iPhone 12. Not even out for sale yet until Friday. 

I imported that iPhone 12 from China (mainly because of physical dual SIM). While the bands are almost identical to those of the Thai version. It lacks band n71, not sure if that could affect speeds!

Lacking the n71 (600MHz) band shouldn’t’ matter is Thailand.  That’s spectrum that was previously used for UHF television and is being repurposed for 5G by T-Mobile in the US in order to get better range.  AFAIK it’s not presently used in Thailand; their lowest frequency 5G is slated to operate at 700MHz. But according to Apple's spec sheet, the iPhone 12s sold in China lack the mmWave bands too.  That could affect your speeds if you happen to be in on of the few places where mmWave 5G is operational.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, ctxa said:

Does iPhone 12 (China model) support 5G in dual SIM mode? iPhone 12 (Thai model) fall back to 4G if two SIMs are active. To get 5G, need to remove one of the SIM.

4 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Does iPhone 12 (China model) support 5G in dual SIM mode? iPhone 12 (Thai model) fall back to 4G if two SIMs are active. To get 5G, need to remove one of the SIM.

The Chinese model supports 5G on one card while using physical Dual SIM.

But I heard the Thai version does not have physical Dual-SIM? Just eSim. Is this right?

12 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

None of iPhone 12 model support 5G dual standby as for now. You need an update software in the future. This is known problem for Qualcomm X55 modem.

PS. This is important about AIS 5G . If you don't have proper 5G plan (like 4G plan and able to get access 5G trial which end this month)
You'll get speed of 5G with capped only 300Mbps.

If you have proper 5G plan such as AIS 5G One Plan for iPhone you'll get max 5G speed up to 2 Gbps.

For Truemove-H 5G well... no capped at all.

Edited by pd2002

11 minutes ago, pd2002 said:

None of iPhone 12 model support 5G dual standby as for now. You need an update software in the future. This is known problem for Qualcomm X55 modem.

Not at all, buddy. The Chinese version which has physical Dual-SIM capability is working just fine with 5G on Dual-SIM mode. I’ve even tried it myself. 

if it didn’t support 5G on Dual-SIM from release date. Simply nobody would buy the iPhone 12 in China, where having two SIMs is the norm and a must for almost everyone! 

0A7F2EB3-D8ED-4931-B7C7-8BB5141C79D0.jpeg

Edited by ctxa

14 minutes ago, ctxa said:
19 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

The Chinese model supports 5G on one card while using physical Dual SIM.

But I heard the Thai version does not have physical Dual-SIM? Just eSim. Is this right?

Interesting...

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

support.apple.com

About 5G and Dual SIM

If you have iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max, and both phone lines are active, 5G isn't available. To use 5G on these iPhone models, disable Dual SIM mode by turning off either one of your phone lines:

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Cellular.
  2. Select the line that you want to turn off.
  3. Turn off the switch next to Turn On This Line.

Turn the line back on to return to Dual SIM mode.

--vs--

Using Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards

support.apple.com

In China mainland, Hong Kong, and Macao, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR feature Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards. This gives you two phone numbers to make and receive calls and text messages.

About 5G and Dual SIM

In China mainland, 5G is supported while using two active lines in Dual SIM mode on the line that’s using cellular data. Additionally, in China mainland, while using Dual SIM with 5G, 5G Standalone isn’t available. In Hong Kong and Macao, 5G isn't available in Dual SIM mode on iPhone 12 models.

EDIT adding:

Apple’s iPhone 12 apparently doesn’t support 5G in dual SIM mode, but a fix is coming

sea.mashable.com | BY STAN SCHROEDER | 1 MONTH, 2 WEEKS

“When using two lines in Dual SIM mode, 5G data isn't supported on either line and will fall back to 4G LTE. If customers are using eSIM only and are on a 5G supported carrier and service plan, they'll have 5G access,” the document says. 

However, according to MacRumors, which obtained a separate, internal Verizon slide, a fix is coming in the form of a software update “later this year.”

Edited by RichCor

• 2 weeks later...

I Bought a Physical XS Dual Sim iPhone from HongKong a while ago
Wanting now to upgrade to the 12 Pro and hoping to buy here in Thailand and change my Sim to an eSim therefore leaving physical sim tray for my extra Sim Cards i use when travelling ?
eSim i think is available yes ? Can you get 5g eSim Plan with unlimted data or at least 50GB perMonth ? Or at Least 4g Unlimited ? AIS Preferably

By the way, I often have problems with Data when Both Sims Enabled ????

Edited by pattayapip

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, pattayapip said:

I Bought a Physical XS Dual Sim iPhone from HongKong a while ago
Wanting now to upgrade to the 12 Pro and hoping to buy here in Thailand and change my Sim to an eSim therefore leaving physical sim tray for my extra Sim Cards i use when travelling ?
eSim i think is available yes ? Can you get 5g eSim Plan with unlimted data or at least 50GB perMonth ? Or at Least 4g Unlimited ? AIS Preferably

By the way, I often have problems with Data when Both Sims Enabled ????

Yes you can get Unlimited 5G Data on AIS. And not expensive if we compare it to 5G prices in Europe.... A little over 1000 THB will get you unlimited 5G on AIS. 

Of course this is POSTPAID, meaning you will need a valid work-permit. 

If you are prepaid, you can not use 5G in Thailand. You can only use the 5G Network with a 4G package which limits your speed at around 300MB/S

• 10 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, ctxa said:

Of course this is POSTPAID, meaning you will need a valid work-permit. 

Incorrect. I have a marriage extension. I have never had a work-permit. I have an AIS POSTPAID plan that I switched from a prepaid plan 1.5 years ago. So Q.E.D. a work-permit is NOT required.

You may have had to be a customer for a minimum period to get postpaid plan if you don’t have a work-permit 

Edited by sometimewoodworker