AIS 5G on the iPhone 12 is finally here!

6 hours ago, ctxa said:

Well, I didn’t use the Thai version of the iPhone 12. Not even out for sale yet until Friday. 

I imported that iPhone 12 from China (mainly because of physical dual SIM). While the bands are almost identical to those of the Thai version. It lacks band n71, not sure if that could affect speeds!

Lacking the n71 (600MHz) band shouldn’t’ matter is Thailand.  That’s spectrum that was previously used for UHF television and is being repurposed for 5G by T-Mobile in the US in order to get better range.  AFAIK it’s not presently used in Thailand; their lowest frequency 5G is slated to operate at 700MHz. But according to Apple's spec sheet, the iPhone 12s sold in China lack the mmWave bands too.  That could affect your speeds if you happen to be in on of the few places where mmWave 5G is operational.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

n40, n41, n78 are the important ones and where the balance between speed and usability is good, 700, 850, 900 MHz dosnt have enough bandwidth and massive-MIMO cant be used, mmWave gets blocked by a fart

• Thanks 1
On 11/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, ctxa said:

Well, I didn’t use the Thai version of the iPhone 12. Not even out for sale yet until Friday. 

I imported that iPhone 12 from China (mainly because of physical dual SIM). While the bands are almost identical to those of the Thai version. It lacks band n71, not sure if that could affect speeds!

Does iPhone 12 (China model) support 5G in dual SIM mode? iPhone 12 (Thai model) fall back to 4G if two SIMs are active. To get 5G, need to remove one of the SIM.

4 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Does iPhone 12 (China model) support 5G in dual SIM mode? iPhone 12 (Thai model) fall back to 4G if two SIMs are active. To get 5G, need to remove one of the SIM.

The Chinese model supports 5G on one card while using physical Dual SIM.

But I heard the Thai version does not have physical Dual-SIM? Just eSim. Is this right?

12 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

None of iPhone 12 model support 5G dual standby as for now. You need an update software in the future. This is known problem for Qualcomm X55 modem.

PS. This is important about AIS 5G . If you don't have proper 5G plan (like 4G plan and able to get access 5G trial which end this month)
You'll get speed of 5G with capped only 300Mbps.

If you have proper 5G plan such as AIS 5G One Plan for iPhone you'll get max 5G speed up to 2 Gbps.

For Truemove-H 5G well... no capped at all.

Edited by pd2002
11 minutes ago, pd2002 said:

None of iPhone 12 model support 5G dual standby as for now. You need an update software in the future. This is known problem for Qualcomm X55 modem.

Not at all, buddy. The Chinese version which has physical Dual-SIM capability is working just fine with 5G on Dual-SIM mode. I’ve even tried it myself. 

if it didn’t support 5G on Dual-SIM from release date. Simply nobody would buy the iPhone 12 in China, where having two SIMs is the norm and a must for almost everyone! 

0A7F2EB3-D8ED-4931-B7C7-8BB5141C79D0.jpeg

Edited by ctxa
14 minutes ago, ctxa said:
19 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

The Chinese model supports 5G on one card while using physical Dual SIM.

But I heard the Thai version does not have physical Dual-SIM? Just eSim. Is this right?

Interesting...

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

support.apple.com

About 5G and Dual SIM

If you have iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, or iPhone 12 Pro Max, and both phone lines are active, 5G isn't available. To use 5G on these iPhone models, disable Dual SIM mode by turning off either one of your phone lines:

1. Open the Settings app, then tap Cellular.
  2. Select the line that you want to turn off.
  3. Turn off the switch next to Turn On This Line.

Turn the line back on to return to Dual SIM mode.

--vs--

Using Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards

support.apple.com

In China mainland, Hong Kong, and Macao, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR feature Dual SIM with two nano-SIM cards. This gives you two phone numbers to make and receive calls and text messages.

About 5G and Dual SIM

In China mainland, 5G is supported while using two active lines in Dual SIM mode on the line that’s using cellular data. Additionally, in China mainland, while using Dual SIM with 5G, 5G Standalone isn’t available. In Hong Kong and Macao, 5G isn't available in Dual SIM mode on iPhone 12 models.

EDIT adding:

Apple’s iPhone 12 apparently doesn’t support 5G in dual SIM mode, but a fix is coming

sea.mashable.com | BY STAN SCHROEDER | 1 MONTH, 2 WEEKS

“When using two lines in Dual SIM mode, 5G data isn't supported on either line and will fall back to 4G LTE. If customers are using eSIM only and are on a 5G supported carrier and service plan, they'll have 5G access,” the document says. 

However, according to MacRumors, which obtained a separate, internal Verizon slide, a fix is coming in the form of a software update “later this year.”

Edited by RichCor
  • 2 weeks later...

I Bought a Physical XS Dual Sim iPhone from HongKong a while ago
Wanting now to upgrade to the 12 Pro and hoping to buy here in Thailand and change my Sim to an eSim therefore leaving physical sim tray for my extra Sim Cards i use when travelling ?
eSim i think is available yes ? Can you get 5g eSim Plan with unlimted data or at least 50GB perMonth ? Or at Least 4g Unlimited ? AIS Preferably

By the way, I often have problems with Data when Both Sims Enabled 🧐

Edited by pattayapip
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 11:03 AM, pattayapip said:

I Bought a Physical XS Dual Sim iPhone from HongKong a while ago
Wanting now to upgrade to the 12 Pro and hoping to buy here in Thailand and change my Sim to an eSim therefore leaving physical sim tray for my extra Sim Cards i use when travelling ?
eSim i think is available yes ? Can you get 5g eSim Plan with unlimted data or at least 50GB perMonth ? Or at Least 4g Unlimited ? AIS Preferably

By the way, I often have problems with Data when Both Sims Enabled 🧐

Yes you can get Unlimited 5G Data on AIS. And not expensive if we compare it to 5G prices in Europe.... A little over 1000 THB will get you unlimited 5G on AIS. 

Of course this is POSTPAID, meaning you will need a valid work-permit. 

If you are prepaid, you can not use 5G in Thailand. You can only use the 5G Network with a 4G package which limits your speed at around 300MB/S