Looking for love? Thailand targets lonely singles in latest bid to attract foreign tourists

webfact

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

They really do not have a clue, apart from the fact that foreigners coming here do not need any help finding a partner

i disagree. It says “find the right marriage partner”

I have seen many foreigners come to Thailand and marry prostitutes, buy her a house, take over the role as father to her kids, spend money trying to help out the extended family or entire village, get overcharged on sinsot etc. and then end up losing the lot and being very bitter about the situation. 

Obviously the wrong marriage partner. Finding a wife in a hooker bar would be like buying a second hand car from a hire car company, thrashed by hundreds of people with worn out parts and dodgy wiring and too many miles on the clock.

An all to common occurrence in Thailand. Amazing how many fall for it. 

• Like 2

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Oh dear, oh dear, it just never ends, does it?

Collect all these ludicrous, almost comically desperate ideas and "schemes" TAT et al have concocted over the past few months, use them as the basis for a hilarious screenplay, and make a comedy out of it. It's *got* to be a winner!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They are also collaborating with Thai Airways on "Faith Tours".

In this idea foreigners will pray for merit while being flown ABOVE temples well known for supplying bounteous amounts of that commodity. 

They will do their praying in the air as they scoot over temples!

"This is you Captain speaking: Love Temple on approach in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, start praying, ... praying finished - next temple already coming up: ready, set, go - start praying, or just continue from prayer before, Buddha or somebody will understand."

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

thrashed by hundreds of people with worn out parts and dodgy wiring and too many miles on the clock.

Wow, sounds just horrible, is that why its better to rent them and pay them to leave afterwards.  You sound just so down on the whole thing, Live, and learn, move forward and stay in the game not crying over spilled milk.  There are bad apples and bad seed everywhere and it is not just inside Thailand and in the bars.

TAT may have a point though.......

Surely they are not thinking of Farangs.

They are thinking of the Chinese - who are at least as superstitious as the Thais.

After the "one child policy" of the past, during which mostly females were aborted, without doubt many Chinese men are willing to purchase Thai females.

Clever of TAT, and well thought out.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They think that one of the answers to improving Thailand's devastated tourism industry is to promote travel to single people looking for love.

Pattaya walking street, Nana Plaza and the rest must be really desperate.

3 hours ago, Bluedan said:

I assume this plan will develop

they will offer 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel room complete with prospective bride 

Now that is certainly doable as long as you get to vet your prospective partner beforehand. So no chance of it being implemented.

48 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

i disagree. It says “find the right marriage partner”

I have seen many foreigners come to Thailand and marry prostitutes, buy her a house, take over the role as father to her kids, spend money trying to help out the extended family or entire village, get overcharged on sinsot etc. and then end up losing the lot and being very bitter about the situation. 

Obviously the wrong marriage partner. Finding a wife in a hooker bar would be like buying a second hand car from a hire car company, thrashed by hundreds of people with worn out parts and dodgy wiring and too many miles on the clock.

An all to common occurrence in Thailand. Amazing how many fall for it. 

I don't remember saying marry a prostitute in my post, I suppose it depends in which circles you move around in, I can only speak for myself and have been married here for 28 years without any problems, my wife was a secretary at a school up country although I met her in Pattaya while she was visiting her brother so your comments are way off the mark IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Next up TAT will advertise a special new visa:  This Visa will allow you to complete an Online Marriage with the Amphur, but can only be done for those who have met on-line and want to be married, such as love at first sight.  The new Visa to be approved is called the "Marry your Internet sweetheart Visa, or the new MYIS Visa". 

With this new visa you can immediately open a bank account from your foreign country, build a house, have your new spouse buy a car in your name, and when you arrive in Thailand she will be there to Wisk you away to your new home and new life.  Total Cost only 4 Million Thai Baht, but during this one and only TAT promotion this MYIS Visa can be yours for only 2 Million Thai Baht provided you live in her village with her parents.

Great post. You obviously know Thailand and the mindset of those in charge of this circus very very well!  You might be a clairvoyant and they are really thinking about such a visa already in their funny idiocy. :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Finding a wife in a hooker bar would be like buying a second hand car from a hire car company, thrashed by hundreds of people with worn out parts and dodgy wiring and too many miles on the clock.

Brilliant! a great analogy!.

Buying and running an ex rental with intergalactic mileage and expecting faultless reliable performance is pretty optimistic at best...... but does make for an exciting journey!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Great post. You obviously know Thailand and the mindset of those in charge of this circus very very well!  You might be a clairvoyant and they are really thinking about such a visa already in their funny idiocy. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately living here and seeing this country in motion has a way of giving one a warped, well extremely warped sense of humor.  It is enough that my endorphins are always lifted by laughing daily at the nonsense and drivel that appears from the Government pogue's

• Like 1

What I find most astonishing is how they desperately try to promote tourism again and again and again, while on the other hand they completely block entry to the country and don't let any interested real tourist in. 

This must be a special Thai form of organisational schizophrenia in the government. Or is it maybe just another form of propaganda and only meant to appease those Thais who suffer from the devastated tourism industry?

• Like 2

A novel idea for them might be to stop with the hair brained ideas for attracting tourists and concentrate on tapping the spending power of the foreigners already in the kingdom.

Perhaps stopping the 800k baht and 400k baht in the bank nonsense for retirement and marriage visas etc lifting relaxing all the other restrictions in place ..........with a stay at will as long as you like yearly renewable visa for all and please keep spending we value your custom approach...... instead of the tiresome awkward bar steward  we are doing you a favour attitude with needless mountains of paperwork and hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

Thai men are rarely befriended or associated with by foreign visitors therefore they have no ideal how non-Thai men think or how to best benefit from them besides scams. Thai men are the people coming up with the weekly bird-brained plans and ideas to attract tourist and monopolizing the revenue they provide.  However; their lack of familiarity will never allow them to get it right.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has been working on their latest brainwaves. 

They think that one of the answers to improving Thailand's devastated tourism industry is to promote travel to single people looking for love.

I have promised that I would not say this again:

You cannot be that stupid.

Failed again

• Haha 1

How can a foreigner have a Thai relationship when they are not allowed into the country or it is prohibitively expensive to go there? The vast majority of people are not allowed into Thailand anyway so this is just a very silly publicity stunt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I don't remember saying marry a prostitute in my post, I suppose it depends in which circles you move around in, I can only speak for myself and have been married here for 28 years without any problems, my wife was a secretary at a school up country although I met her in Pattaya while she was visiting her brother so your comments are way off the mark IMO.

I didn’t say you did, but many other posts mention gogo, walking street, bars etc.

What were up to in Pattaya?

• Haha 1