Open the country now! Stop quarantine for foreign tourists, says Thai media

webfact

3 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

But it's not your country, you don't get to have a vote who is elected, you don't get a vote for who should be allowed in, so stop acting like you do.

Letting people in from low risk countries makes sense for the health of Thailand.

The out of control countries, sorry but you need to wait your turn

Sounds like you are stuck outside Thailand.

Tough luck there bud.

:jap:

• Like 1

The UK has today announced that those currently who were having to stay in Quarantine for 14 days can end it after 5 days if they pay for, and show a negative test after day 5. 

The reason being Research has shown that 88% will still be captured after 5 days and that is being deemed good enough. Cost of test circa £150

Edited by Kadilo

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Sounds like you are stuck outside Thailand.

Tough luck there bud.

:jap:

There is no point in pretending that if you are stuck outside that you won’t see things differently than those who are currently living inside. 

I am craving for a compromise on the 14 days but that is for purely personal and practical reasons connected to my own situation. I am sure if I was living inside I would be quite happy with the current situation from a personal point of view. 

I do think from a Thai perspective, looking in, it does appear to be beginning to bite hard and public opinion may be beginning to change. Maybe from the inside it looks different. Difficult to tell from afar. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Yes I live in Western Australia we had no public infection for 8 months why should I go in quarantine

for 2 weeks

Good question.

After your trip to Thailand, why would you also be required to undergo a 14 day quarantine as an international traveller returning to Australia under their current rules :coffee1: 

Maybe they want to keep their record of no cases for 8 months....

7 hours ago, paulikens said:

7 hours ago, paulikens said:

China's nowhere near out of the woods,

@Buffy Frobisher and i forgot to pick you up on this other deluded statement from you. china had 29 cases today,in a country of over a billion and even they probably wasnt even local transmission.  so how is china not out of the woods? there really is no hope for people like you. im surprised you ever get out of bed you're so scared of everything.   

8 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Just wondering why all the non-Thai keep commenting like Thailand is their country. If Thailand want to open up to low risk countries which have no covid, so be it. If you don't like it, go back to your own country. Pretty simple really.

What a ridiculous comment.

"If Thailand want.." - it's one interest group suggesting this. Please show me where a majority of Thais or the country of "Thailand" indicate this is what they want.

"Just wondering why all the non-Thai keep commenting" - sure, let's ban any comment or discussion on Thai related matters on TV by foreigners either abroad or living in Thailand, this will make for a great forum with stimulating discussion.

"go back to your own country" - yawn, the most boring and trite response imaginable.

Try harder, I am sure you have it in you to add something of interest to the discussion.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

And they are quite right.

The tourist industry is split 40% domestic and 60% international so why should the whole of the Thai population be put at risk for those that think they need foreigners.

40% -  60% is weighted based on spending or based on people number?

China.... You've got to be joking, don't these idiots read, or listen to news reports, China is not out of the woods, only this weekend there was mass panic in Shanghai Airport as some workers tested positive, also there are spikes in other province,  and can you really believe China when they state the have the virus under control, they weren't that honest when the virus first broke out in China.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

China.... You've got to be joking, don't these idiots read, or listen to news reports, China is not out of the woods, only this weekend there was mass panic in Shanghai Airport as some workers tested positive, also there are spikes in other province,  and can you really believe China when they state the have the virus under control, they weren't that honest when the virus first broke out in China.... 

China certainly have everything under control. Just two cases were found and they quickly tested 17,719 airport workers, but none were positive. I don't think you can find another country with the same kind of zero-tolerance attitude. 

Curiously, one of infected person was a UPS employee, the other a FEDEX employee. Does that mean they caught the virus from parcels that they were handling?

2 hours ago, Selatan said:

I don't think you can find another country with the same kind of zero-tolerance attitude. 

I agree, and one has a to wonder what do they understand that we perhaps so not (or have not been told).

The catch is that people from low risk countries either cannot leave for holidays (e.g. Australia) or are required to quarantine on return (e.g. China).

The reason being, low risk countries want to remain low risk. No matter what Thailand does, it's not possible to attract significant numbers of tourists from low risk countries at this time.

• Like 1

My friends who go to Thailand every year, will not until the vaccine is available

and is in full use. They do not mind having the 2 week quarantine, but did not want to chance catching the covid virus on the long flight from Canada to Thailand. I feel the same.  Thailand is not the

only country suffering because of the covid virus. Canada is not doing that well with the

2nd wave, and the numbers are still climbing as more and more people are tired of having to

be cautious, and the younger crowd just cannot stop going to the all important bars to drink

and shout with their friends in a loud environment. I think that the bars will be the next places

to get stricter rules or be shut down again. The sports venues are all shut down, the large gathering

places like wedding halls, conference halls, are all shut down again. Some people are

panic buying the toilet paper and such again as they are worried that all stores will be shut again.

Yup we do eat a lot of toilet paper here in Canada. 555.

Geezer

15 hours ago, lavezzi said:

40% -  60% is weighted based on spending or based on people number?

GDP - 8% domestic/12% international, they borrowed 10% of GDP to try and bridge the shortfall.

To help the people there is a scheme to buy goods from small shops at half price, as well as the scheme subsidising domestic tourism.

International tourism took a massive hit in 2004 and they recovered, that year many lost their lives as well as their business. I think about 2000 foreigners died in the tragedy, something we certainly wouldn't want to see repeated.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:47 PM, RandolphGB said:

The majorities of Thais would disagree. 

probably not the bung head billionaire who while being too scared himself to cause problems is going around the country recruiting children in his plan to buy the country (but he does have his lot picked out next to the red shirt king in dubai)

• Confused 2

On 11/24/2020 at 6:24 AM, Buffy Frobisher said:

They clearly didn't note the panic at Shanghai's airport on Saturday when they found a bunch of airport staff infected.

China's nowhere near out of the woods, but Thailand is as safe as anywhere can be because of the strong lockdown. If that's the price that must be paid until the population is vaccinated in another 6-8 months then so be it.

It's a helluva lot better than some States in the US where there are no hospital beds left, and it's not like Thailand is mass testing either. We're safe simply because we're closed.

Who in Thailand would ask for that option, but a filthy rich conglomerate owner with a private jet to escape the carnage in country towns that would ensue if we drop our guard.

A strong lockdown or very little testing?

On 11/24/2020 at 9:39 AM, aussiexpat said:

Just wondering why all the non-Thai keep commenting like Thailand is their country. If Thailand want to open up to low risk countries which have no covid, so be it. If you don't like it, go back to your own country. Pretty simple really.

Could not have said it better 10/10 for you’re spot on observation 

i don't understand the people on here moaning about quarantine when in most countries you have to, thailand is not doing anything different to anyone else. the main thing people should be moaning about which they dont seem to be. is the price they want you to pay at their approved hotels, that's were they are taking the p***