Coin Timer Unit For Air Conditioner?

For the fitness room user? They put money in and by the time the room has cooled down they have finished! 

The next guy doesn't need to insert money?

Above is correct use the mechanism from a laundry machine. But not something you will be able to buy on-line?

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

For the fitness room user? They put money in and by the time the room has cooled down they have finished! 

The next guy doesn't need to insert money?

Above is correct use the mechanism from a laundry machine. But not something you will be able to buy on-line?

Unit for washing machine: Insert (say) 30 baht. Machine comes on and completes one cycle. 

What I need is this: Insert (say) 10 baht; aircon runs for 10 minutes. 20 baht; 20 minutes. Etc.

After figuring out how to achieve this, I plan to proposition my landlord re: installing an aircon in my building's fitness room. It currently has no aircon, so it too hot most of the time to work out in. (I might pay half installation cost. Cheaper and more convenient for me over the long run that a fitness club; most of which play hideous music, etc.)

4 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:
10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Well, thats for a washing machine. Can't see how that would work with an aircon.

Do you even have a clue how a coin-operated switch/timer works?

Some budget hotels will require the door keycard or keychain fob be placed in a provided wall holder to activate power to the room (preventing guests from leaving AirCon going while they're out of the room).

9 minutes ago, johng said:

I have seen those coin operated timers in  the Amorn  shops    don't know if they have branches in Bangkok ?

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.XLtqf

Control the operating time of the tumble dryer / snooker table / game And computer

There are various functions to choose from.
There is a time control system
You can choose from a variety of coin acceptors.
There is a power cut system. (AC disconnection system)
There is a power surge protection system.
Various reset signals can be selected. Or disable the reset signal as well
Edited by ExpatOilWorker

Just now, OliverKlozerof said:

Ah...now I realize the 'coin timer' that's used on *driers* in laundromats are pure timers.

As you mentioned before, the coin activator designs differ. Most washing machines are designed to accommodate external timer add-on that allow for full-cycle run (rather than a timed run). 

35 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Unit for washing machine: Insert (say) 30 baht. Machine comes on and completes one cycle. 

What I need is this: Insert (say) 10 baht; aircon runs for 10 minutes. 20 baht; 20 minutes. Etc.

After figuring out how to achieve this, I plan to proposition my landlord re: installing an aircon in my building's fitness room. It currently has no aircon, so it too hot most of the time to work out in. (I might pay half installation cost. Cheaper and more convenient for me over the long run that a fitness club; most of which play hideous music, etc.)

Get a couple of fan's 

There are also those wi-fi connected appliance smart switches to consider? I have a washing machine that gets overused and despite discussing load sharing, frequency of clothes washing and other measures with the abusers, I couldn't make any major impression on the water bill. It ended up with people getting up in the middle of the night to beat the 'landlord' and do their laundry. I considered putting a coin box switch on it which would have cost maybe around 1200 baht plus installation, but they would probably just start walking 20 yards down the road and giving someone else their 40 baht. So I would be out of pocket with a redundant coin box. Instead, I have the washing machine power connected via one of these smart switches that cost around 200 baht and I can control it from my smartphone. A friend of mine has his home aircon powered via these and he turns on the living room aircon when he leaves his work and 40 minutes later, when he gets home, it's comfortably cooled down already.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sonoff-wifi-smart-plug-home-intelligent-outlet-switch-wireless-timer-power-socket-remote-control-turn-onoff-household-appliances-via-smartphones-free-app-anytime-anywhere-i169158006-s209953844.html

• Like 1

Aah, reading this thread reminds me longingly of life in my first bedsit in London NW3 50+ years ago. Life which included having to feed the gas and electricity meters in my room at seemingly frequent intervals and in pitch darkness more often than not with shilling coins. And before I could take my weekly bath having to insert 12 old pre-decimal pennies into the gas meter in the communal bathroom. ????

I had been under the impression that coin-operated meters had long been consigned to the annals of history. But this thread has now led me to the conclusion that it could well a case of what goes around comes around in the case of profligate energy users - particularly those of senior vintage!

Edited by OJAS
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

Aah, reading this thread reminds me longingly of life in my first bedsit in London NW3 50+ years ago. Life which included having to feed the gas and electricity meters in my room at seemingly frequent intervals and in pitch darkness more often than not with shilling coins. And before I could take my weekly bath having to insert 12 old pre-decimal pennies into the gas meter in the communal bathroom. ????

I had been under the impression that coin-operated meters had long been consigned to the annals of history. But this thread has now led me to the conclusion that it could well a case of what goes around comes around in the case of profligate energy users - particularly those of senior vintage!

The good old days of gas lighting and making sure one had shillings for the meter.

Then finding out at 8 p.m. that you had plenty shillings but you had already used the last one of these.

This was in northeast Scotland circa 1960.

VeritasGasMantle.jpg.b937e778aacd08ba7a7c24468817966d.jpg

Thanks for the memory jog @OJAS