What's a Gallon

Tyler Visan

Was just in a TOA Paint shop to get emulsion mixed. The computer showed the price for a Gallon. On asking the 'expert' how many litres she answered THREE. WHAT? I said, and showed her on Google that a US gallon is 4 litres and a UK Imperial gallon is 4.546 litres. She laughed. The price was over Bht900 so I asked if there was a cheaper alternative to which she replied YES, and I got my paint for Bht 447. How many litres?    3.785.!

1 hour ago, Tyler Visan said:

TOA Four Seasons interior matt emulsion. Got 15% off. Covers my music room walls fine.

Best of luck with that. I used it to paint my daughters bedroom. It lasted less than 6 months before it went streaky. That's when the G/L said get Rod our Thai painter to sort it out.

Did he do it, well yes but he refused to use interior paint would only use exterior. That's after sealing it first. That was some 8/9 years ago still looks great. Must tell you something. Please let us all know how long yours lasts.  

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Best of luck with that. I used it to paint my daughters bedroom. It lasted less than 6 months before it went streaky. That's when the G/L said get Rod our Thai painter to sort it out.

Did he do it, well yes but he refused to use interior paint would only use exterior. That's after sealing it first. That was some 8/9 years ago still looks great. Must tell you something. Please let us all know how long yours lasts.  

I am optimistic as the room has had white emulsion on the walls for the past 8 years, so I guess that's sealed them.

1 minute ago, Tyler Visan said:

I am optimistic as the room has had white emulsion on the walls for the past 8 years, so I guess that's sealed them.

Due to the many years I have spent here. The one thing I have learnt is to never be optimistic. I lead my life now with the perception of if it works, I have had a result.  

• Like 1

A Gallon is 4 Quarts or 1/2 a Peck, 1/4 of a Kenning, 1/8 of a Bushel.

They are part of the ancient Imperial measurement system that originated in England but has been replaced in most of the civilized world by the metric system.

A few primitive countries still use this archaic Imperial system including Myanmar, Liberia and USA. 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A Gallon is 4 Quarts or 1/2 a Peck, 1/4 of a Kenning, 1/8 of a Bushel.

They are part of the ancient Imperial measurement system that originated in England but has been replaced in most of the civilized world by the metric system.

A few primitive countries still use this archaic Imperial system including Myanmar, Liberia and USA. 

But then, why is an Imperial Gallon 4.5 litres and a US Gallon 3.78 litres?