is it only me

opalred

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In my experience there is an enormous difference between the quality and taste, of meats in particular, when comparing Thailand and Europe. I guess it's the way the animals are fed. You can get good quality in Thailand, for example in Tops, but you'll pay European price+, as opposed to less money for the mediocre Thai version. As with so many things in life, you have to pay for quality.

This is true, but the OP is correct in saying that tomatoes nowadays have little or no taste, and scientists have explained why.

Out of flavour: why tomatoes have lost their taste | Food | The Guardian

• Like 1

Very hard to find genuine products nowadays, a lot of pesticide and fake foods... Actually even the garlic here sucks, back home I would use a fraction of it and the taste is much stronger too. Have no complaints if it comes to the chicken though.

Most likely it is the lower grade garlic from China, it can be up to 1-2 years old.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, holymoly said:

It is not only you and you don't have to blame yourself - aging and such.

Fruits and vegetables have been designed to 1} look good, 2) last a long time, 3) can be

transported over long distances.

That has been done quite successfully but at the cost of taste, flavor (smell). The outstanding example is strawberries;   They look great, are big, last a long time. But the taste is G O N E........

So don't blame yourself and don't let the others put you down; they obviously are ignorant of

the tremendous "progress"  that science has made on the behalf of growers.

The tomatoes here are utterly tasteless. I'm growing tomatoes with heirloom seeds from America. I haven't yet managed to grow a single sweet pepper though. 

You are correct about the breeding. All other factors trump (can we ever legitimately use that word again?) taste. Same for more and more fruits as well. Same problem in America. 

Like so many other things changing for the worst, most people don't care. Quality anything is no longer valued. 

Pork from the local market is utterly tasteless. Makro better (but i eat tenderloin). Chicken ok. Tomatoes in Thailand are awful, cherry tomatoes slightly better - i try to grow my own. Bell peppers - so so (i do try and grow those also, limited success). Grow your own lettuce as well - that's easy.

I found a perfect replacement for tasteless tomato... 

I had planted a Jalepeno from seed, and for its 2nd season now has 57 new fruits coming out. Mind you the 'shrub' is not even waist height, and I have 4 dozen haybailing strings already strung to bear the upcoming heavy harvest

(using a shrub sized version of this Japanes gardening trick)  below...

Yukitsuri: The Japanese Snow Suspenders | Amusing Planet but I digress...  

anyways I had heard that soaking your sliced super hot chillis in a heap of BiCarbSoda powder & little water

- fizzes a lot

- but totally takes away all the 'bite' from a mouthful of chilli!! 

I don't bother buying tomato anymore ????  don't need 'em

i got tomato seed from my daughter in oz years ago they were a  good  taste/but my daughters have sent tomato seed in the post 4times in the later years but never received

the post take or steal/i brought seed back from china a few years ago \ a picture on the packet of large tomatoes/ when i grew them the tomato were the size of a pea \now they are like a noxious weed coming up every where  cheers

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:17 PM, opalred said:

the meat and vegs are starting to be tasteless

the pork and chicken have no flavor no more 

i eat tomatoes every day  /they have become flavorless with a thick skin 

i now understand why Thai food is overloaded with  chile and garlic trying to get some flavor 

maybe trying to grow everything to quick with antibiotics and hormones? 

In Australia over the last 20 years beef cattle, sheep, chickens and particularly pigs have been bred to be very lean.( healthy ) but that has removed most of the flavour that comes with the fat.

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, opalred said:

i now understand why Thai food is overloaded with  chile and garlic trying to get some flavor 

Thai food has never been tasty without the poison sauces they put inside.

Try to cook without and you will know how ridiculous is this food.

But do not ask foreigners who perfectly know nothing as on most topics.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, opalred said:

My pork steak and chips (with fried mushrooms) tastes just fine.

Pork from Tesco lotus (49bht for 2), chips from Makro (frozen 99bht/2kg), mushrooms from Makro (60bht/Kg)

The only additives are salt and pepper on the steak as it goes in the air fryer.

IMG_20210219_134224.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, scoupeo said:

Thai food has never been tasty without the poison sauces they put inside.

Try to cook without and you will know how ridiculous is this food.

But do not ask foreigners who perfectly know nothing as on most topics.

Both of you clearly don't know your taste buds start to fail as you age. Just dump a load of salt on and stop moaning. Foreigners who know nothing. Right.... 

• Haha 2