Certificate of Residence without rental agreement (Samut Prakan)?

I am British, living in Samut Prakan province. I have a non-immigrant O visa with annual extension (retirement).

I need to get a certificate of residence to buy a used car and apply for a Thailand driving licence. I have a UK driving licence and recent international driving permit.

I stay with my girlfriend, who owns the condo. We do not have a rental agreement. In case it's relevant, she says her tabian baan (blue book) for the condo is empty.

Does anyone know if I can apply for a certificate of residence at Samut Prakan without a rental agreement? Would I need some other paperwork such as a letter from my girlfriend? Or would we have to "make" a rental agreement?

We did try calling immigration today to ask this information but both Thai and English phone lines were never answered or cut off.

OP, be aware that the certificate of residence has a time span. Think 30 days. 

Your Sumut Prakan so might not be issue for you to obtain your DL.

I stuffed up couple months back in applying for CR and then finding out the DL needed appointment which was weeks away.

That was in bkk. Imagine not the case in SP.

I did what you are trying to do, at Samut Prakan immigration, about 18 months ago. At that time I used my TM30 address report. My friend did same there last week to renew his licence.

If you have not done TM30 at this address then you and gf do that first, (stating you just moved in), then with that you can immediately apply for the residence certificates.

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, be aware that the certificate of residence has a time span. Think 30 days. 

I just used an old one (last July) at the driving licence place... I said nowt, they said nowt, I saved time and money!

Take your gf along when you apply.... with her tabian baan and her ID. She will be able to "guarantee" your residence, act as translator and smooth the way if any questions are asked. This is what I have done in the past.

You will need one res cert for each function.... so 2 in your case or 3 if you want a licence to ride a motorbike as well. When buying a car, the dept of land transport retains the original cert.

And on a side point.... be careful when buying to ensure the seller goes with you to the land transport dept to do the transfer and ensure you get the insurance transferred to your name or cancelled so you can buy new in your name. If the old insurance is still current you cannot buy new I found out! Its a minefield and completely different to the UK.

Thanks for all the advice.

I went to the DLT office near Bang Chak today. No appointments for a test until 13th January. The lady did say it was fine to use a copy of a certificate of residence for the motorbike licence and the original for the driving licence.

Despite having UK diving license and an international driving permit, I was told I have to do a full test including practical driving tests because I am "in the system" with 5-year Thailand driving licences that expired in 2015.

I'll get one certificate of residence for buying the car in the next couple of weeks and a 2nd one nearer the date of my driving tests.

5 hours ago, rodknock said:

yes you have to do the whole driving to get license.

you should have renewed when it was expiring or with in one year, then you would not have all these hassles.

I did try. I don't remember the whole conversation now as it was 5 years ago but there was a reason I couldn't renew, and I remember it being "final". Never mind. At least I'll be able to have another 5-year license and not just the 2-year temporary one.

I'll report back how the certificate of residence goes next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to get my certificates of residence today. I wanted one for buying a car and one for my driving license test (car + motorbike), so I took 2 sets of all the paperwork. Actually the immigration at Samut Prakan wanted THREE sets of everything, because they said normally put either "car" or "motorbike" on the C of R for the driving license test. Because I didn't have 6 photos with me, they just made that one out as a C of R without a "reason" written on it. Hopefully it will be enough for the DLT, or I'll have to get another one. This is what I supplied in each "set" of papers:

- application form

- passport

- passport copies:  front page, visa page, last extension of stay page

- 2 passport photos

- letter from my "landlady" girlfriend stating that I live at her place

- last TM30 receipt (actually a print of a screengrab from the app on my girlfriend's phone).

- copy of girlfriend's ID card

- copy of girlfriend's tabian baan (blue book)

- copy of my last 90-day report

Not sure if all of that was necessary, but they accepted it all and didn't give me anything back.

I was seen literally as soon as I arrived at 08:45 and I was out by 09:30.

Archived