About 900,000 university graduates are likely to be jobless

snoop1130

But tourism is only 11% of thai economy. The Covid will not effect anything else.

This was the message this government send to Thai people. Now the Thai people are paying for it.

The incompetent Thai government. 

Every minister should be arrested and the people should confiscate all their wealth. Make them poor. Take their cash, their home and the wife and gigs jewelry. Lets see how they will behave? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnarth said:

the numbers might be right, but how the hell they pass the tests is beyond me, I have close friends at university age and they will be looking for any job that comes along as was the case last year and the year before that.

Still have my  job available at the land here and you did say "any  job"  but let me guess...any  job but  not  on the land.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

No worries, 711 is hiring. They've done very well during the pandemic and those are big money jobs. I've got a friend pulling in over 300 baht a day! ???? 

Im paying 500 they arent queuing up here. Guess  qualifications dont include spending  your  whole time gawking at a phone or  chatting with your  pals and having to bother with the inconvenience of  customers.

Just now, bodga said:

That could be done elsewhere in 1  A4 sheet  no  doubt????

Might surprise you to know they cover a little more that how many graduates graduated... It's a study of who does what and what quals and experience (time) they bring. It's not a great read, but it does contain a bunch of facts that trump arm-chair opinions...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bodga said:

Im paying 500 they arent queuing up here. Guess  qualifications dont include spending  your  whole time gawking at a phone or  chatting with your  pals and having to bother with the inconvenience of  customers.

No disrespect intended and I realize 500 THB a day is more than the minimum, but I think a university graduate is likely  to aspire to something more  financially rewarding than 500฿/day.   Personally,   I'd choose to keep looking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Might surprise you to know they cover a little more that how many graduates graduated... It's a study of who does what and what quals and experience (time) they bring. It's not a great read, but it does contain a bunch of facts that trump arm-chair opinions...

ill  get a  copy  to help me sleep  then

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy from Kent said:

No disrespect intended and I realize 500 THB a day is more than the minimum, but I think a university graduate is likely  to aspire to something more  financially rewarding than 500฿/day.   Personally,   I'd choose to keep looking.

beggars  cant be choosers  look at the airline  pilots, when the sheite  really  hits  the fan they  will work, theyre  still in the "itll  be alright soon"  phase i reckon.

27 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

If you need something that simple explained to you, perhaps you should enroll...

The Ministry of Education publishes statistics on how many schools, unis, and colleges operate, how many teachers teach at different grades and how many students they have. The stats are a few years old so the numbers can be audited and are roughly right, not precisely wrong. If you can make the effort to look for yourself, you'll see on page 22, table D, that there were 1,790,341 undergraduate degree students in 2016. That covers all years across the distribution of course-lengths. You can safely assume that the average course length is 3.x years; between 3 and 4 years. 1,790,000 ÷ 3 is approx 597,000 and ÷ by 4 is around 447,000. So the 450,000 approximation I used lies between the two and is therefore not out of line with the audited count of all undergraduate students in 2016.

There is also a 145 page report (in Thai) from the Department of Employment that states 447,454 graduates in 2018. You can take your pick of the audited results, or you can rely of the depth of your experience from the bowels of Pattaya to make up your own alternative reality.

To be honest I am not familiar with the naming are he's talking about graduates who are entering the labour market. Undergradutes i assume are still studying and not ripe for the market yet. 

Looking at the same table I see Graduates in total (4 most right colums) are about 170K people who are ready to enter the Labour market.

Still much more then I expected but far less then the 500K this guy is talking about ...

Interesting to know what happened with all those under graduates on their way becoming Graduates. Drop outs?

Thx for the info.

Edited by Jack Mountain

31 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

To be honest I am not familiar with the naming are he's talking about graduates who are entering the labour market. Undergradutes i assume are still studying and not ripe for the market yet. 

Looking at the same table I see Graduates in total (4 most right colums) are about 170K people who are ready to enter the Labour market.

Still much more then I expected but far less then the 500K this guy is talking about ...

Interesting to know what happened with all those under graduates on their way becoming Graduates. Drop outs?

Thx for the info.

An undergraduate studies for a bachelor degree (3-4 years). After graduating, some of those continue at graduate level, leading to a masters degree (1-2 years). Both are called university graduates in laymen’s terms. 

• Thanks 1

The loss of valuable young people, well educated, bilingual, work oriented and motivated and who cannot find jobs is a disaster. It is a lost generation and very possibly the next one. The government has NO plan on how to use this manpower except send berry pickers to Sweden. 

Oversupply of graduates is a problem in a lot of countries. Unless you got a first, there are so many applying for each job, you stand little chance of landing work in your chosen field. Plus you are landed with all that student debt requiring years to pay back. When you look at the large salaries the Chancellors and other uni officials are getting, you can see where all that fee money went.
Better off to learn a trade like eg plumbing nowadays. Plus with the internet now, you can pretty much learn anything you want anyway. No need for uni.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Venom said:

No worries, 711 is hiring. They've done very well during the pandemic and those are big money jobs. I've got a friend pulling in over 300 baht a day! ???? 

It would be easier than farm labor at 250 to 300 a day