About 900,000 university graduates are likely to be jobless

snoop1130

I think 'University' is a rather loose term in Thailand. It also includes the local Rajabhat's (which provide courses in catering etc.) and technical colleges. So i think 450-500,000 a year is correct.

My nephew graduated in March (technical college) and had a job lined up, government related, and was meant to start in June - still waiting for the job to start (told funds were delayed so recruitment on hold). Fortunately he has part-time work in the wife's shop so not desperate - yet. A niece will finish college in a few months, so will be one of the 900,000 as well.

17 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

No disrespect intended and I realize 500 THB a day is more than the minimum, but I think a university graduate is likely  to aspire to something more  financially rewarding than 500฿/day.   Personally,   I'd choose to keep looking.

As long as not expecting other people to give them money while they look elsewhere, that's their right. It's not the taxpayer's responsibility to support people that choose the wrong subjects at uni and can't get a job of their choosing.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, rickudon said:

I think 'University' is a rather loose term in Thailand. It also includes the local Rajabhat's (which provide courses in catering etc.) and technical colleges. So i think 450-500,000 a year is correct.

My nephew graduated in March (technical college) and had a job lined up, government related, and was meant to start in June - still waiting for the job to start (told funds were delayed so recruitment on hold). Fortunately he has part-time work in the wife's shop so not desperate - yet. A niece will finish college in a few months, so will be one of the 900,000 as well.

Again, were you to look up the publicly available data and not simply think for yourself (and get it wrong) you'd see that they separate all the levels of education. Unis have their own separate count as do technical colleges, undergrads, post-grad and doctorate...

EduStats.jpg

On 11/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, DualSportBiker said:

Again, were you to look up the publicly available data and not simply think for yourself (and get it wrong) you'd see that they separate all the levels of education. Unis have their own separate count as do technical colleges, undergrads, post-grad and doctorate...

EduStats.jpg

Yes, i estimated - and was pretty close I think. That table doesn't seem to have rajabhat separately. About 1.7-2.1 million on undergraduate courses so how many graduate each year? About 650,000 ?

I've just read a FB job offer where a restaurant owner is seeking an employee.

It's a restaurant at Silom road, Soi 4. 

Starting salary 12 to 15 K, but it will increase. The job is easy,  being the cashier and it comes with Thai social security and two free meals.

Should anybody know a jobless Thai, please page me.

The biggest problem might be that the new employee should be able to speak English. Not too many of them do, which is sad. 

Edited by teacherclaire

59 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO many young people have been fooled into thinking uni is going to get them a high paying job that they can start at the top.

Same in many countries. Can't get a plumber or an electrician that doesn't charge the earth because the kids that should have been in apprenticeships went to uni to get a degree in "media studies" or some such nonsense.

It's all coming back to bite people on the nether regions. Meanwhile the politicians that seduced the youth into uni rather than trades walk away without penalty, IMO.

A friend of mine is married to a uni graduate in business. Unfortunately, does she need a calculator to add two and four. Best World Class Standard Education.

Leave the CL at class out and you have the real situation. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I've just read a FB job offer where a restaurant owner is seeking an employee.

It's a restaurant at Silom road, Soi 4. 

Starting salary 12 to 15 K, but it will increase. The job is easy,  being the cashier and it comes with Thai social security and two free meals.

Should anybody know a jobless Thai, please page me.

The biggest problem might be that the new employee should be able to speak English. Not too many of them do, which is sad. 

I do know a clever lady looking for work like this. English speaking and experienced in many areas of restaurant work.

But she can not get these jobs because she is 37 year's old.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, AlfHuy said:

Offer them all a government job.

Safe and secure.

Nice comment. This is exactly what should be happening. Especially in the States. Federal Works Program.

The wealthy / capitalist class would rather have the way it is now..

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO many young people have been fooled into thinking uni is going to get them a high paying job that they can start at the top.

Same in many countries. Can't get a plumber or an electrician that doesn't charge the earth because the kids that should have been in apprenticeships went to uni to get a degree in "media studies" or some such nonsense.

It's all coming back to bite people on the nether regions. Meanwhile the politicians that seduced the youth into uni rather than trades walk away without penalty, IMO.

"image.png.6c918a262cf9babd23d40c8c2d6b4e27.png

Unfortunately true for some graduates. Some discussion about this with final year students (E.g. in business) reveals that some Thai professors tell students things like this, often emphasizing that uni graduates have higher social status and should therefore automatically have managerial positions. Or out it another way 'I paid a lot of money to get my degree so automatically  my employer must give me higher position/higher salary.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Just now, scorecard said:

"image.png.6c918a262cf9babd23d40c8c2d6b4e27.png

Unfortunately true for some graduates. Some discussion about this with final year students (E.g. in business) reveals that some Thai professors / their families tell students things like this, often emphasizing that uni graduates have higher social status and should therefore automatically have managerial positions. Or put it another way 'I paid a lot of money to get my degree so automatically  my employer must give me higher position/higher salary to get me out of debt - my entitlement'.