'America is back,' Biden says, as he dumps Trump's foreign policy approach

webfact

8 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Great, we are back to the do nothing, no balls policies that don't work.  The USA needs to call in a chit from the Israelis and have them wipeout those Chinese made islands in the territorial waters of The Philippines.

Don't bother do-nothing Trump. He is at his golf course. ????

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's not forget that about 70,000,000 American's supported what Trump did and they wanted (at least) 4 more years of the same. That will be a massive problem for Biden because those 70 million won't change their mind only because Biden tries to do a good job.

Indeed, lets not forget about them, and lets hope that "dumping" Trump's policies does not include starting any wars or drones killing innocent people.

From what I've seen of Biden's picks, it's a case of "back to the past", and that wasn't so great IMO.

I doubt Trump will be going away quietly, as he will still have twitter to communicate on, and according to loads of results on google according to a poll a majority of Republicans want him to run in 2024. At least CNN will be able to keep him in the public eye till then- so much free publicity!

Seems it's not over yet by a long shot, and to think that just a couple of days ago I was wondering what posters would have to talk about once he's gone. Far from gone, he'll still be right there getting in Biden's face every time he messes up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just been reading the thread 'China's Manila mission says 'dangerous' US creating chaos in Asia.' "Robert O'Brien underscored the US commitment to Taiwan...." I wonder if J. Biden will agree with that or not? Presumably R. O'Brien is Republican based and so J. Biden could replace him and employ a different approach?

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed, lets not forget about them, and lets hope that "dumping" Trump's policies does not include starting any wars or drones killing innocent people.

From what I've seen of Biden's picks, it's a case of "back to the past", and that wasn't so great IMO.

I doubt Trump will be going away quietly, as he will still have twitter to communicate on, and according to loads of results on google according to a poll a majority of Republicans want him to run in 2024. At least CNN will be able to keep him in the public eye till then- so much free publicity!

Seems it's not over yet by a long shot, and to think that just a couple of days ago I was wondering what posters would have to talk about once he's gone. Far from gone, he'll still be right there getting in Biden's face every time he messes up.

Trump does not have the protection of being president on his tweets, they will ban him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:
20 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I bet the next president will be a Female ???? Probably with her last name being Trump ???? .

You're half right.  But her last name will be Harris.

Ivanka's family name will be disgraced forever. Should anyone with that same last name run, the US will once again vote against their deplorable policies, particularly as they WON'T have a hobbled post office working against mail-in ballots.

54 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The fact trump welcomed QAnon weirdos into government is enough for him to be assessed as unfit to represent the Office of the President of the USA. So happy the US electorate got rid of trump - hope the Dems can win the two outstanding Senate allocations.

Yeah, sure.

Except 70,000,000 Americans didn't have a problem with Trump supporting those nutters. That gives us an idea about the scale of the problem over there. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Is the world happy that they will not be asked to pay their fair share to support NATO or the UN?  

If you look beyond the hysterical, emotional, non data of a president who shouldn't have won, you see all of the US elites in the DC swamp, in silicon valley, Wall Street and in Hollywood coming after him.    You see US media giving Biden a pass on difficult questions.  According to Glenn Greenwald, the left and the CIA are looking to destroy Trump.   Why? Because he enjoyed firing people on TV and in his presidency?  You can't ignore the law because a less than pleasant person is hated by less than pleasant, powerful people, or maybe you can.  This is the new way.

The US senate will probably not work with Biden.   Russia gate and the impeachment are things they are still angry about.  Not to mention Hunter Biden's behavior in China and the Ukraine.   

A third party may be able to mend the US and make it better one day.      

IMO it all comes down to the senate. Those 2 runoffs will be as important, or even more important than the presidential race, IMO, as they will determine if Biden is constrained, or does whatever he likes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Just been reading the thread 'China's Manila mission says 'dangerous' US creating chaos in Asia.' "Robert O'Brien underscored the US commitment to Taiwan...." I wonder if J. Biden will agree with that or not? Presumably R. O'Brien is Republican based and so J. Biden could replace him and employ a different approach?

For reasons which IMO most would know about, Taiwan will, IMO, be somewhat stressed in the future as to the US position re support or not against China.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt Trump will be going away quietly, as he will still have twitter to communicate on

Until now he still has the Twitter account because he is POTUS. Otherwise that account would have been shut down a long time ago - like many other strange accounts. Let's look how long Trump will keep that account after he is not POTUS anymore. I guess not longer than February and it will be gone. Good riddance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

On the flip side, what the Trump chaos has demonstrated is how fragile the Western world is without the US at the helm.

Give us some examples please, we are doing fine without the US

Iran is a prime example.

The world seems to be unable to do something against the will of the US president. Even if a huge part of the world agreed to work with Iran and not against them.

I don't think the world needs US leadership. But we need US cooperation. 

Just now, Traubert said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

America is back, ready to lead the world,

Oh yes? 

Think what you will, if the US had a mind for world domination, it could achieve that with an obscenely armed military. Up until recently there has been (mostly) diplomacy to further its agenda. There are VERY credible arguments that covert operations for US domination have been carried out by the CIA for decades, but for the most part decent global growth has been the goal.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Until now he still has the Twitter account because he is POTUS. Otherwise that account would have been shut down a long time ago - like many other strange accounts. Let's look how long Trump will keep that account after he is not POTUS anymore. I guess not longer than February and it will be gone. Good riddance. 

There are many ways on the internet to communicate. I doubt losing twitter will make any difference.

Anyway, IMO all he has to do is hold a press conference and CNN will report it, as they need him, IMO, to keep their ratings up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Iran is a prime example.

The world seems to be unable to do something against the will of the US president. Even if a huge part of the world agreed to work with Iran and not against them.

I don't think the world needs US leadership. But we need US cooperation. 

Personally I don't want US "leadership". If the nations of the world can't co operate in the UN without America, we are all IMO in harms way.

All I want is a treaty with the US to come to our aid if a superior power tries to take us over. No other country has the military power to do so. What I don't want is the US starting wars all over the place.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Is the world happy that they will not be asked to pay their fair share to support NATO or the UN?  

If you look beyond the hysterical, emotional, non data of a president who shouldn't have won, you see all of the US elites in the DC swamp, in silicon valley, Wall Street and in Hollywood coming after him.    You see US media giving Biden a pass on difficult questions.  According to Glenn Greenwald, the left and the CIA are looking to destroy Trump.   Why? Because he enjoyed firing people on TV and in his presidency?  You can't ignore the law because a less than pleasant person is hated by less than pleasant, powerful people, or maybe you can.  This is the new way.

The US senate will probably not work with Biden.   Russia gate and the impeachment are things they are still angry about.  Not to mention Hunter Biden's behavior in China and the Ukraine.   

A third party may be able to mend the US and make it better one day.      

US is principally spending its defence dollars in Europe for its own security needs. US maintains a significant military presence in terms of personnel and bases. The NATO allies has also been rising their defence expenditure since 2014-2015 as security outlook in Europe darkened following Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea. Let's hope this pressure by Trump to weakened the alliance is not part of Putin's agenda. 

Let's not look at the past and respect the decision of the people. Biden won the popular vote as well as the electoral college. He has chosen his cabinet that are not controversial  that hopefully will be able to work with the GOPs. Biden has a good relationship with Mitch and his decency may influence both sides to work for the people instead of working for Trump previously. 

There is no Russia gate. The GOPs Select Committee on Intelligence conclude that Russia interfered in the 2016 election. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are many ways on the internet to communicate. I doubt losing twitter will make any difference.

Anyway, IMO all he has to do is hold a press conference and CNN will report it, as they need him, IMO, to keep their ratings up.

Recently CNN and even FOX did not show a big part of the speech of Trump while he was still POTUS because he was telling a lot of BS. They won't give him more time after he is out of that job.

22 minutes ago, J Town said:

Ivanka's family name will be disgraced forever. Should anyone with that same last name run, the US will once again vote against their deplorable policies, particularly as they WON'T have a hobbled post office working against mail-in ballots.

You reckon?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/11/10/best-way-trump-could-launch-2024-campaign/

Trump can run and win in 2024.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, J Town said:

Think what you will, if the US had a mind for world domination, it could achieve that with an obscenely armed military. Up until recently there has been (mostly) diplomacy to further its agenda. There are VERY credible arguments that covert operations for US domination have been carried out by the CIA for decades, but for the most part decent global growth has been the goal.

Maybe.

• Like 1

President Elect Biden and the direction he is trying to steer the country makes me proud to be American again.

The shambolic administration led by the soon to be leaving Mr. Trump made me deeply embarrassed to be American. 

But Biden has a nearly impossible job. Those people that love Mr. Trump are still with us and the vast majority of them seem immune from supporting sensible policies and considering reality based media as superior to alternative facts and conspiracy theory bubbles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/11/24/bidens-win-brings-new-hope-peace-deals-with-denmark-canada/

Biden’s win brings new hope for peace deals with Denmark and Canada

I sensed it the moment I heard President-elect Biden tell the world Tuesday that “America is back.” Our long and bitter struggle with the Kingdom of Denmark may soon be coming to an end.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. CNN needs Trump for their ratings, IMO. Doesn't matter if they don't show part of his speeches as any publicity is good publicity and especially if it's free. He just needs to keep in the public eye and bring every error Biden makes to the attention of the voters till 2024.

I tend to think that Trump won't run in 2024.  He'll be 4 years older and frankly, Trump didn't seem like he really enjoyed the job much.  Sure he enjoyed being the center of attention and having all that power.  But the policy stuff, the actual governing....not his cup of tea.  But you can never tell what's going on in that crazy brain of his.  Like right now, Trump knows darn well he's lost.  But he won't concede because he's still raising money off of this "Stop the Steal" nonsense.  So maybe he'll start his own far right network and grab all the attention by saying that he'll run.  Then when 2024 comes around, he'll back out.  Trump knows he has a huge following and knowing how he only cares about himself, he'll figure out a way to monetize all that adulation.  He never cared much about his supporters beyond what he can get out of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

US is principally spending its defence dollars in Europe for its own security needs. US maintains a significant military presence in terms of personnel and bases. The NATO allies has also been rising their defence expenditure since 2014-2015 as security outlook in Europe darkened following Russia's illegal annexation of Crimea. Let's hope this pressure by Trump to weakened the alliance is not part of Putin's agenda. 

Why weren't the Russians stopped?  It was illegal.  

14 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Let's not look at the past and respect the decision of the people.

Yes all the people.   Trump got 7 million more votes this election than the last election, many coming from minorities.     Biden may get a pass from the media, but others will be watching him very closely when it comes to current US wars,  Hong Kong/Taiwan/China and the economy. 

26 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There is no Russia gate. The GOPs Select Committee on Intelligence conclude that Russia interfered in the 2016 election. 

I was referring to the Mueller report.   This is still a bitter memory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Why weren't the Russians stopped?  It was illegal.  

Yes all the people.   Trump got 7 million more votes this election than the last election, many coming from minorities.     Biden may get a pass from the media, but others will be watching him very closely when it comes to current US wars,  Hong Kong/Taiwan/China and the economy. 

I was referring to the Mueller report.   This is still a bitter memory. 

Indeed. Had Trump done the right thing and fired Sessions when he recused himself all that chaos would have been avoided and probably Trump would have easily won this time.