Red Bull pays out €550m to founders, including family of drink's inventor

Red Bull pays out €550m to founders, including family of drink's inventor

Dividend payments go to Dietrich Mateschitz and family of Chaleo Yoovidhya

Rupert Neate 

Wealth correspondent

rb.jpg

Red Bull cans in a supermarket in Bangkok, Thailand. The drink’s inventor was born to Chinese immigrant parents in the Thai province of Phichit. Photograph: Athit Perawongmetha/Reuters

The energy drinks company Red Bull has paid out more than €550m (£493m) to its founders, including the family of a former Thai duck farmer who invented the popular drink as a “hangover cure” in 1976.

The company, which is also known for its Formula One motor racing team and sponsorship of extreme sports, has paid €211.4m in annual dividends to the family of Chaleo Yoovidhya, the drink’s inventor, who died in 2012.

A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman who discovered that the drink, called Krating Daeng in Thai, helped with his jet lag on a business trip in 1987 and partnered with Yoovidhya to promote Red Bull overseas.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/23/red-bull-pays-out-550m-to-founders-including-family-of-drinks-inventor

guardian.jpg
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Marketing someone else's idea, and still getting annual dividend payments of €343m 33 years later, is a mistake I'd be prepared to make.

I think he could have easily created his own chemical mixture with sugar and caffeine. Mateschitz is a marketing genius and would have sold this product too with great success. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Oldie said:

I would like to have such a Mateschitz too that makes endless money for me. I never understood why he didn't produce his own drink. He has only 49 percent of the Thai company. Perhaps one of his biggest mistakes in his life. 

"A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman" ,...I wouldn't call this a mistake !!!! it's a <deleted>**ing 343 million Euro !!!!!!!

1 minute ago, off road pat said:

"A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman" ,...I wouldn't call this a mistake !!!! it's a <deleted>**ing 343 million Euro !!!!!!!

Without Mateschitz Red Bull would be nothing. Do you know his story? 

19 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

The original Thai version sells more than well enough in thailand for the founder and his family to be well off. 

But the Mateschitz version sells worldwide. And this is a big difference. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oldie said:

Yes, but without the original there would be no Red Bull and Mateschitz is an honest guy who knows to appreciate that fact and therefore didn’t rip him off! 

13 hours ago, Oldie said:

Yes, but without the original there would be no Red Bull and Mateschitz is an honest guy who knows to appreciate that fact and therefore didn’t rip him off! 

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So much so, they can get away with murder!

As far as I’m concerned it’s not “them”, it’s just the one guy and he’s not really involved with Red Bull apart from being an heir of a guy who is involved/was involved.

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

As far as I’m concerned it’s not “them”, it’s just the one guy and he’s not really involved with Red Bull apart from being an heir of a guy who is involved/was involved.

Oh, I think he had unlimited support from the family, it is the families influence that have so far left him untouched! 

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

Oh, I think he had unlimited support from the family, it is the families influence that have so far left him untouched! 

I remember reading something to the tune that they publicly disowned him or at the very least asked him to surrender. Might have been a publicity stunt, though, and he’s definitely financially stable, but I don’t think he’s untouched because of his family. I think he’s untouched because he fled the country. 

Almost every country has their own homegrown, world famous product, for which them and the country have become synonymous. Coke/Pepsi, Apple, Sony, Honda/Toyota, Samsung, Mercedes, Ferrari, IKEA, Fish & Chips. Heh. You get the idea.

I’d really like to see the Thais do the same. They’ve got plenty of their own unique, distinctive products that could do it, like Red Bull, but can’t seem to pull it off. It took a German to come here and do that for them. And as been said, in that process the connection to Thailand was lost.

Well, there’s the Carabao energy drink, named for the famous country band, a proud national symbol of theirs. I guess it’s doing well enough to be advertised in the Premier League. As is the Chaokoh coconut milk. But now they got that monkey labor problem. Hmm.

C’mon Thais, what else can you bring to the world? Is it time for Thep Thai to take on Colgate? And the Flying White Rabbit to rival Pepto Bismol and Gaviscon? Don’t let another farang seize the opportunity again!

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

On 11/25/2020 at 6:16 AM, Oldie said:

I would like to have such a Mateschitz too that makes endless money for me. I never understood why he didn't produce his own drink. He has only 49 percent of the Thai company. Perhaps one of his biggest mistakes in his life. 

I'm sure he is crying every night that he only makes 330 million a year instead of 550 million. He would be able to afford 50 villas instead of just 30, and 5 yachts instead of just 3.