Red Bull pays out €550m to founders, including family of drink's inventor

Red Bull pays out €550m to founders, including family of drink's inventor

Dividend payments go to Dietrich Mateschitz and family of Chaleo Yoovidhya

Rupert Neate 

Wealth correspondent

rb.jpg

Red Bull cans in a supermarket in Bangkok, Thailand. The drink’s inventor was born to Chinese immigrant parents in the Thai province of Phichit. Photograph: Athit Perawongmetha/Reuters

The energy drinks company Red Bull has paid out more than €550m (£493m) to its founders, including the family of a former Thai duck farmer who invented the popular drink as a “hangover cure” in 1976.

The company, which is also known for its Formula One motor racing team and sponsorship of extreme sports, has paid €211.4m in annual dividends to the family of Chaleo Yoovidhya, the drink’s inventor, who died in 2012.

A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman who discovered that the drink, called Krating Daeng in Thai, helped with his jet lag on a business trip in 1987 and partnered with Yoovidhya to promote Red Bull overseas.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/23/red-bull-pays-out-550m-to-founders-including-family-of-drinks-inventor

guardian.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marketing someone else's idea, and still getting annual dividend payments of €343m 33 years later, is a mistake I'd be prepared to make.

How much did they pay to the cocaine snorting, cop killer???

It’s really quite depressing that a man can earn a dividend of €343m and people can still find fault 😄🤷‍♂️

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Marketing someone else's idea, and still getting annual dividend payments of €343m 33 years later, is a mistake I'd be prepared to make.

I think he could have easily created his own chemical mixture with sugar and caffeine. Mateschitz is a marketing genius and would have sold this product too with great success. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
10 hours ago, Oldie said:

I would like to have such a Mateschitz too that makes endless money for me. I never understood why he didn't produce his own drink. He has only 49 percent of the Thai company. Perhaps one of his biggest mistakes in his life. 

"A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman" ,...I wouldn't call this a mistake !!!! it's a <deleted>**ing 343 million Euro !!!!!!!

1 minute ago, off road pat said:

"A further €343m was paid to Dietrich Mateschitz, an Austrian businessman" ,...I wouldn't call this a mistake !!!! it's a <deleted>**ing 343 million Euro !!!!!!!

Without Mateschitz Red Bull would be nothing. Do you know his story? 

27 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Without Mateschitz Red Bull would be nothing. Do you know his story? 

The original Thai version sells more than well enough in thailand for the founder and his family to be well off. 

19 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

The original Thai version sells more than well enough in thailand for the founder and his family to be well off. 

But the Mateschitz version sells worldwide. And this is a big difference. 

• Like 1