How to open bank account in Thailand

We are considering applying to OA visa from US. As first step we are required to open non imm O visa and bank account in Thailand. Will Thai bank open an account with just my US passport and non imm 90 day visa? I heard they are asking for more documents? Also can I open account by myself or should my wife also be present? Please advise

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, as mentioned by several posters you do NOT need a personal Thai bank-account when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  You only need to show that you have the equivalent of +80

If you are applying for an OA Visa in the US you DO NOT NEED a Thai bank account.

If you mean obtaining a new visa in USA yes.  If you mean extending for one year in Thailand no.  Extensions will require money be in a Thai bank account or proof of income paperwork (deposit of 65k o

23 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

We are considering applying to OA visa from US. As first step we are required to open non imm O visa and bank account in Thailand. Will Thai bank open an account with just my US passport and non imm 90 day visa? I heard they are asking for more documents? Also can I open account by myself or should my wife also be present? Please advise

If you are applying for an OA Visa in the US you DO NOT NEED a Thai bank account.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

We are considering applying to OA visa from US.

You do not need the money in a Thai bank or a non-o visa to a apply for a OA visa at the embassy or one of the official Thai consulates in the US.

Here are the requirements for the application on the embassy website.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

OP, I dont think you can get an O retire visa at the moment, your only option is an OA visa, as above there is no Thai bank account required for an OA visa.

Even if an O visa is available, it ends up being a small window after quarantine ends and money needs to be in the bank etc.

As for opening an account, the requirements can vary bank to bank or branch to branch, usually PP and longstay visa.

You have to go bank shopping. You may have to try several. That’s what I had to do. You’ll likely get a lot of silly excuses like “Only manager can open farang account, come back on Monday”, which just means they don’t want to do it. Try another bank. This guy I saw at the US Embassy was getting a certified copy of his passport, because a bank had asked for it to open an account. Haha, don’t do it. Just try another bank.

I finally got a bank to do it with my work permit. Another time, I didn’t have the WP yet, but was able to do it with my employer’s letter. There have been reports of people doing it with just a tourist visa. Usually, the best luck with that seems to be had in areas with many expats. Go bank shopping. Of course their English will be bad, so you should def bring the GF/wife.

Try to avoid Krung Thai. As the largest government bank, they’ll always be the busiest, and they charge a ton of fees. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

OP, you confused about your options visa wise.

This guy has detailed information that can give you advice. @Peter Denis

Apart from that is aspect of opening Thai bank account. Covered many times in treads on thaivisa. If you enter on tourist visa with intention of obtaining a non O it's little more difficult.

If you arrive with O-A it's easy to open bank account, however only necessary if you want one.

Edited by DrJack54

Kasikorn's official policy does not allow them to open a bank account for foreigner that does not have a valid year long visa/extension.  Their customer help line is adamant and the branch manager I talked to would not stray from that policy despite my having "help" from a senior management level employee.

Bangkok bank is much more welcoming.  They only required my Residency Certificate from Chiang Mai Imm and my passport with my initial Non-Imm O visa with 90 day permission to stay.  My passport also contained the exit portion of the Thailand entry form.  Even the Kasikorn manager suggested I go to Bangkok bank.

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely contact Peter. Looks like no Thai account is required for OA visa, US bank equivalent will work, unlike for OX visa. I was confused because LA consulate didn't mention US bank option. I also understand there are no restriction on how much money one should keep on the deposit after he/she obtains the Visa. Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

11 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Kasikorn's official policy does not allow them to open a bank account for foreigner that does not have a valid year long visa/extension.  Their customer help line is adamant and the branch manager I talked to would not stray from that policy despite my having "help" from a senior management level employee.

First time I applied for a Kasikorn personal bank-account the desk officer at my local branch told me I needed a WorkPermit to open an account.  I explained that I was on a Non Imm O-A Visa which prohibits to work, but as her english language skills were very poor I decided to come back later when the branch manager was in.   Two days later I returned and had a short talk with the Kasikorn branch manager > no problem we can open an account for you.

I can confirm that they needed my passport with 'retirement Visa' and once again it took some explaining from my part that a Non Imm O-A Visa is a 'retirement' Visa, because the word RETIREMENT is not mentioned anywhere on the Visa.

But with patience and perseverance I did got my Kasikorn personal bank-account.  

My girlfriend also has a Kasikorn account, and it is by far the most conveniently located Bank branch in the small town closest to my home, so I was adamant to get a Kasikorn account (the nearest Bangkok Bank branch is +25 km away).   

7 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely contact Peter. Looks like no Thai account is required for OA visa, US bank equivalent will work, unlike for OX visa. I was confused because LA consulate didn't mention US bank option. I also understand there are no restriction on how much money one should keep on the deposit after he/she obtains the Visa. Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

Be also aware (perhaps mentioned already) that even though the non O-A is a visa valid for 12 months every entry you are given 12 month permission of stay. Bottom line is the non O-A gives you almost 2 years in Thailand.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country you only need to provide evidence that you meet the financial requirements at the moment of application for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  Once the Visa has been issued, there are no requirements anymore for keeping funds on your bank-account.   That will only come into play again when you apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa (which can only be done in your home-country).  And it will also be required when you decide to apply in-country for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O-A Visa at the end of the 2-year period that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

If you mean obtaining a new visa in USA yes.  If you mean extending for one year in Thailand no.  Extensions will require money be in a Thai bank account or proof of income paperwork (deposit of 65k or more every month for last year).

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. If you did an entry just before your visa expires you can get almost 2 years of total stay.

You could a apply for a new OA a visa at the consulate in the states when you have used all of your stay from it.

If not you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of your last one year entry. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income by way of monthly transfers into a Thai bank from a abroad or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

• Like 1