How to open bank account in Thailand

We are considering applying to OA visa from US. As first step we are required to open non imm O visa and bank account in Thailand. Will Thai bank open an account with just my US passport and non imm 90 day visa? I heard they are asking for more documents? Also can I open account by myself or should my wife also be present? Please advise

23 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

We are considering applying to OA visa from US. As first step we are required to open non imm O visa and bank account in Thailand. Will Thai bank open an account with just my US passport and non imm 90 day visa? I heard they are asking for more documents? Also can I open account by myself or should my wife also be present? Please advise

If you are applying for an OA Visa in the US you DO NOT NEED a Thai bank account.

28 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

We are considering applying to OA visa from US.

You do not need the money in a Thai bank or a non-o visa to a apply for a OA visa at the embassy or one of the official Thai consulates in the US.

Here are the requirements for the application on the embassy website.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

OP, I dont think you can get an O retire visa at the moment, your only option is an OA visa, as above there is no Thai bank account required for an OA visa.

Even if an O visa is available, it ends up being a small window after quarantine ends and money needs to be in the bank etc.

As for opening an account, the requirements can vary bank to bank or branch to branch, usually PP and longstay visa.

You have to go bank shopping. You may have to try several. That’s what I had to do. You’ll likely get a lot of silly excuses like “Only manager can open farang account, come back on Monday”, which just means they don’t want to do it. Try another bank. This guy I saw at the US Embassy was getting a certified copy of his passport, because a bank had asked for it to open an account. Haha, don’t do it. Just try another bank.

I finally got a bank to do it with my work permit. Another time, I didn’t have the WP yet, but was able to do it with my employer’s letter. There have been reports of people doing it with just a tourist visa. Usually, the best luck with that seems to be had in areas with many expats. Go bank shopping. Of course their English will be bad, so you should def bring the GF/wife.

Try to avoid Krung Thai. As the largest government bank, they’ll always be the busiest, and they charge a ton of fees. Good luck.

OP, you confused about your options visa wise.

This guy has detailed information that can give you advice. @Peter Denis

Apart from that is aspect of opening Thai bank account. Covered many times in treads on thaivisa. If you enter on tourist visa with intention of obtaining a non O it's little more difficult.

If you arrive with O-A it's easy to open bank account, however only necessary if you want one.

Hi, as mentioned by several posters you do NOT need a personal Thai bank-account when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  You only need to show that you have the equivalent of +800.000 THB on a bank-account (or one of the other accepted methods to prove your financial status).

And there is actually also NO need for a Thai bank-account once you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa during the almost 2-years of IO hassle-free stay that Visa can provide you, as that Non Imm O-A Visa does not require you to park/transfer funds to such an account (that will only come into the picture when you apply for the 1-year extension at the end of the 2-year period the Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you).

But obviously, even if there is no need for a personal Thai bank-account, it will be handy to open an account once you are in Thailand so that you can transfer money to that account (using TransferWise or other money-transfer service) and don't have to make use of expensive ATM withdrawals or credit-card transaction fees.

Attached below some info of possible relevance once you are in Thailand and want to open a personal Thai bank-account.  Contrary to what you might think/expect, it requires patience and perseverance to open an account.

= = = = =
Choice of preference should be one of the larger Thai banks that are used to dealing with foreign account-holders, e.g. Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, ...

There are other large banks like Government Savings Bank and Khrung Thai Bank, but they cater almost exclusively to Thai customers so more difficult for a foreigner (and as good as always long queues at their branch-offices).

It should also be taken into consideration that local branch offices of the main banks are often run like Fiefdoms, so a major criterion is that the local Thai bank branch where you would be opening your account is foreign customer friendly.

Also if you are using TransferWise to transfer funds to your local bank-account, an account with Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank is preferable as these are two of the partner-banks of TransferWise in Thailand.

Note > I recently opened an account with Kasikorn Bank and am quite satisfied with their service as well as with their on-line capabilities.  

Also be aware that you might need some persistence to actually have the Bank open an account for you.  If the desk officer is telling you NO, it can help to politely ask to speak to the branch office manager (I had to do that, and the initial Not Possible Need Work Permit response from the desk officer, became a Yes Well Possible and actually handled by the desk officer that initially gave me a NO).

Kasikorn's official policy does not allow them to open a bank account for foreigner that does not have a valid year long visa/extension.  Their customer help line is adamant and the branch manager I talked to would not stray from that policy despite my having "help" from a senior management level employee.

Bangkok bank is much more welcoming.  They only required my Residency Certificate from Chiang Mai Imm and my passport with my initial Non-Imm O visa with 90 day permission to stay.  My passport also contained the exit portion of the Thailand entry form.  Even the Kasikorn manager suggested I go to Bangkok bank.

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely contact Peter. Looks like no Thai account is required for OA visa, US bank equivalent will work, unlike for OX visa. I was confused because LA consulate didn't mention US bank option. I also understand there are no restriction on how much money one should keep on the deposit after he/she obtains the Visa. Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

11 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Kasikorn's official policy does not allow them to open a bank account for foreigner that does not have a valid year long visa/extension.  Their customer help line is adamant and the branch manager I talked to would not stray from that policy despite my having "help" from a senior management level employee.

First time I applied for a Kasikorn personal bank-account the desk officer at my local branch told me I needed a WorkPermit to open an account.  I explained that I was on a Non Imm O-A Visa which prohibits to work, but as her english language skills were very poor I decided to come back later when the branch manager was in.   Two days later I returned and had a short talk with the Kasikorn branch manager > no problem we can open an account for you.

I can confirm that they needed my passport with 'retirement Visa' and once again it took some explaining from my part that a Non Imm O-A Visa is a 'retirement' Visa, because the word RETIREMENT is not mentioned anywhere on the Visa.

But with patience and perseverance I did got my Kasikorn personal bank-account.  

My girlfriend also has a Kasikorn account, and it is by far the most conveniently located Bank branch in the small town closest to my home, so I was adamant to get a Kasikorn account (the nearest Bangkok Bank branch is +25 km away).   

7 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

Thank you so much everyone! I will definitely contact Peter. Looks like no Thai account is required for OA visa, US bank equivalent will work, unlike for OX visa. I was confused because LA consulate didn't mention US bank option. I also understand there are no restriction on how much money one should keep on the deposit after he/she obtains the Visa. Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

Be also aware (perhaps mentioned already) that even though the non O-A is a visa valid for 12 months every entry you are given 12 month permission of stay. Bottom line is the non O-A gives you almost 2 years in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country you only need to provide evidence that you meet the financial requirements at the moment of application for the Non Imm O-A Visa.  Once the Visa has been issued, there are no requirements anymore for keeping funds on your bank-account.   That will only come into play again when you apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa (which can only be done in your home-country).  And it will also be required when you decide to apply in-country for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O-A Visa at the end of the 2-year period that Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you.

>> I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document on how to meet the insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

18 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

Once the time to renew the OA visa comes,  I guess I can use my US deposit again as proof of funds  

If you mean obtaining a new visa in USA yes.  If you mean extending for one year in Thailand no.  Extensions will require money be in a Thai bank account or proof of income paperwork (deposit of 65k or more every month for last year).

21 minutes ago, Ostroant said:

The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. If you did an entry just before your visa expires you can get almost 2 years of total stay.

You could a apply for a new OA a visa at the consulate in the states when you have used all of your stay from it.

If not you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of your last one year entry. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 65k baht income by way of monthly transfers into a Thai bank from a abroad or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

I opened my Kasikorn account on a 30 day on arrival stamp,  that was at the Central Festival Branch Pattaya, however, that was 10 years ago.  I'm still using it , and had no issues with on-line banking. 

Understandably, things have changed a lot. Even Soi 7 was good in those days.

15 hours ago, Ostroant said:

I opened my account at Bangkok Bank(Silom Head Office) in november 2016 while I was in thailand, with no visa at all, for 2 weeks. 30 days exemption. Only restrictions were that I could not have access to mobile app and internet Banking. No other bank accpeted me.

Once I got a Non O 3 months visa, I could get that access to mobile app and internet Banking.

Krungsri bank  (aca Yellow bank) used to let you open a tourist bank account, passport and hotel address, was enough. not sure if they still do, I have now been with them for 20yr. With NO issues. Friendly staff who are aware of what is needed from them for Immigration.  that said, IMO it is well worth opening an acc here so you can transfer funds, otherwise you could end up paying huge ATM fees and when you eventually get a 1yr visa you can then easily change it to another Account. If you want a joint acc with your wife, then she will need to be with you.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

... If you want a joint acc with your wife, then she will need to be with you.

Be aware that you cannot use a joint-account for immigration purposes.

When IO requires proof of you meeting the financial requirements they insist on a personal Thai bank-account.  And in the rare cases that a joint account was accepted, the financial requirement to be met was doubled because of that joint character.

I need to open a thai bank account, as soon as possible, I have some important reasons for that, it's a long story.

How can I get one? Trying and trying, maybe? I'm here now with a medical visa until the end of december, I'm going to buy a Non IMM for 3 more months, but I need this thai bank in the next 2 weeks. I don't have work permit, but I have a one year contract for the condo, can I get a thai bank account with that?

I went today in On Nut to a Krungsri Bank, the girl ask me for a work permit, and I told her I don't have one, she put an strange face. I told her, I have money, I have visa until the end of the year and I'm going to have a new visa, and I have a condo contract for one year, she told me come with the contract and we will see.

Any advise?

2 hours ago, jonga80 said:

I need to open a thai bank account, as soon as possible, I have some important reasons for that, it's a long story.

How can I get one? Trying and trying, maybe? I'm here now with a medical visa until the end of december, I'm going to buy a Non IMM for 3 more months, but I need this thai bank in the next 2 weeks. I don't have work permit, but I have a one year contract for the condo, can I get a thai bank account with that?

I went today in On Nut to a Krungsri Bank, the girl ask me for a work permit, and I told her I don't have one, she put an strange face. I told her, I have money, I have visa until the end of the year and I'm going to have a new visa, and I have a condo contract for one year, she told me come with the contract and we will see.

Any advise?

What will your non imm O be based upon?

Also most branches will ask for work permit. They don't understand the notion of needing bank account for eg non o retirement.

Head office branches understand this in more complete way. 

Your description of medical visa/ and obtain new visa is confusing. 

5 hours ago, jonga80 said:

need to open a thai bank account, as soon as possible

i would try the bangkok bank head office branch (silom).   explain you need the acct to deposit your 800,000thb to comply with the non imm O requirements.  they'll likely require a letter from your embassy that says your passport is real and a letter from your landlord (confirming your lease is real) plus copy of lease.  it is possible they'll say no and then offer you some insurance product and if you buy that, they can approve the new acct.  if you really need the acct, buy the insurance and get it done.  visa agents and lawyers can always get bank accts open, for a fee, and it may not be your bank of choice.  but you'll get a bank account open. 

11 hours ago, jonga80 said:

Any advise?

Eventually you will be able to find a bank branche that will open an account for you, but it might take numerous trials and persistence to get it.

Your best bet is with Thai banks that have experience with foreign customers, like Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank, Siam Commercial Bank or KrungSri Bank.

But be aware that every branche office is a small fiefdom and it is well possible you will be turned down at one branche office and being accepted by another branche office of same bank two streets down the road.

Also, if you need the bank-account to put the 800K funds-in-bank required for your Non Imm O extension, you have a good reason to ask to talk to the manager of the Bank Branche.  The desk officers abide 'strictly' by the rules, and when they are not familiar with opening an account for a foreigner they will for face-saving reasons tell you that it is Not Possible, hence the advice to request talking to the manager of the Branche.

If you plan to make use of TransferWise to transfer the funds from your foreign account to your Thai bank-account it is recommended to make use of BangkokBank or Kasikorn Bank (as these are partner-banks of TW).  But no problem opting for a different Thai Bank like SCB or KrungSri, when the branche you visit is customer-friendly and willing to help you with opening a bank-account. 

Note: I would not do business with a Bank that requires me to also to subscribe to one of their insurance products to accept your application.

Thank you for the answers! Finally I opened a bank account in Krungsri in On Nut. It was not easy, but with the help of a thai friend I made it, we were in the bank more than 2 hours. The key was the 1 year condo contract, because I don't have work permit, and my visa ends in the end of december, but finally they accept to open the account.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ostroant said:

When it comes time to extend your OA visa you will have to have a Thailand Bank account with the required funds in it

2 minutes ago, flexomike said:

When it comes time to extend your OA visa you will have to have a Thailand Bank account with the required funds in it

Yes that's correct.  When he extends his Non Imm O-A Visa in-country, but when timed right that will only become relevant almost 22 months after having entered Thailand.

Note: And when going back to his home-country before his Non Imm O-A based permission to stay needs to be extended, he can apply there for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, thereby continually avoiding the need to park/transfer money to a Thai bank-account.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, Ostroant said:

Without an understanding of your long-term plans it's challenging to advise...but a friend did just get a Non-O from the RTC-G/LAX. He's coming in next week on a CoE/FtF. A Non-O has some benefits.

You can't renew an Non-OA, you can extend a stay on it in country. Or you could obtain a new one in the U.S.

Regarding the bank account plenty of threads here, most seem to contain a similar pattern of recommendations:

Bangkok Bank

Choose a branch in a shopping mall (extended hours and days), and one near where you might live

Bring every document indicating your intention to stay long-term

Have a Thai friend who is an account holder write a reference letter

You'd get more detail if you shared your longer-term plans? Retire permanently in Thailand...Visit and stay for 3 months each year...visit many times each year for 30 days. 

Some law firms and agents offer help with opening a bank account for a few thousand baht. If I urgently needed an account and wanted to avoid running the branch gauntlet, I'd probably use one of them. Doesn't apply to me as I was lucky enough to open a few accounts when it was still easy even visa exempt, but those days are gone.

Archived