Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

13 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

We dont have to do what Biden says , we are an independent Country and the USA do not Govern us 

And the US doesn't have to do a trade deal with the UK. 

So be trade independent with no deals with both the EU and the US; see how long the UK can survive before it dissolves into just England.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cmarshall said:

It's ironic that Britain's oppression of the Irish which created the Irish Diaspora during the Famine should at this late date produce such effect revenge as the Irish American block, which emphatically includes President-elect Biden, should be dictating the UK's internal borders.

But not to worry.  it won't be the UK for long.  Once the Celtic bits get trimmed off, it'll just be Little England.

The Gaelic or Celtic (con)Federation, and via S. Ireland member of the EU again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

And the US doesn't have to do a trade deal with the UK. 

So be trade independent with no deals with both the EU and the US; see how long the UK can survive before it dissolves into just England.

We could still trade with each other on WTO terms , trade will not stop , it would just be on different terms

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What would it matter if he did? As I amended my post too late above, he's not the dictator you apparently wish he was. Both houses of congress would still have to vote on any such agreement.

I did ask a question about the protocols for USA signing agreements , I didnt suggest that Trump was a dictator and neither do I wish that he was .

I have no idea how it works in the USA 

The Irish border is a problem that can't be ignored; even by those who discount the opinion of the POTUS elect.

Of course the Internal Market Bill threatens Northern Ireland

They (the UK government) have yet to acknowledge a motion passed by the (Northern Ireland) Assembly calling for an extension to the transition period. They have yet to send the Northern Ireland Executive basic information about the operation of the protocol. They have yet to publish a Border Operating Model for the NI-GB border, promised months ago.

They have, however, managed to award a £200 million contract for advising businesses on that border to a consortium led by Shanker Singham, a transatlantic lawyer-lobbyist closely linked to the prime minister who spent years arguing for technological solutions to the Irish border challenge, from which he stood to make money.

The Internal Market Bill may further erode trust and security in Ireland/Northern Ireland

The SDLP, Sinn Féin and the Alliance Party parties argued that if the Withdrawal Agreement is not implemented the Good Friday Agreement and stability are seriously undermined and that trust and confidence are undermined if the UK government breaks international law. Like the Irish government, their view is that if the agreement is not reached and there are no ‘sea border’ customs checks, customs posts will be necessary on the Irish border to protect the EU’s Single Market. The argument, supported by the then head of the PSNI in 2018, is that customs posts would be a target for dissident republicans leading eventually to the securitisation of the border and increased violence.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, vogie said:

the President Elect has 1 ounce of Irish blood in him, Ireland has zippo to do with him.

More like a bucket full of heritage.

And not unique as POTUS as he is one of at least 22 POTUS' who have Irish roots.

His heritage comes from two families (Blewitts and Finnegan) who settled in the US from Ireland in the mid-1850's.

Ref. The Sun 11 Nov 2020.

Also note that Biden is Catholic, another Irish dimension.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't want to see a border between the US and Mexico but it has got nothing what so-ever to do with me, and just because the President Elect has 1 ounce of Irish blood in him, Ireland has zippo to do with him.

I am afraid BJ cares more about a trade agreement with USA than Biden

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

So we cant have a border in Ireland and we cant have a border in the Irish sea.

Only solution is to remain in the EU's single market.

Ergo Johnson will have to accept all the EU's demands for allowing access. 

Will that include freedom of movement?

Third option : Ireland reunification ?

Edited by daejung
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JonnyF said:

That ingrained deference will come in handy when Scotland joins the EU.

It will not happen, other EU countries like Spain will not accept Scotland. I would be a  precedent for Cataluña.

I don't think any major european country will accept to dismantle UK.

Personnally I wounld'nt

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, daejung said:

Third option : Ireland reunification ?

Not an option until and unless the majority of the people of Northern Ireland agree to it.

Forcing unification would cause as many problems from Unionist terrorists as closing the border would bring from Republican ones!

The alternative is that he doesn't give his opinion now, but will later on state 'sorry, no trade deal, we're unhappy with the border'.

Warning now sounds like a better option.

Personally I think all this is is putting the US in a better negotiation position.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

What this has to do with JB .Not even in office and already Fapping his jaws .

JB  you will see He's gonna be trouble  for the poor country the USA 

JB has shown it before, the guy is a DEM warmonger, no even in disguise

will probably humm a long Here comes America when jogging down Penn Ave to take office in January

the hawks in Pentagon are probably having cakes with their lousy office coffee every day now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The Irish border is a problem that can't be ignored; even by those who discount the opinion of the POTUS elect.

Of course the Internal Market Bill threatens Northern Ireland

The Internal Market Bill may further erode trust and security in Ireland/Northern Ireland

For the EU, protecting their single market and making things difficult for the UK seems more important than maintaining peace in Northern Ireland. It's the EU who would (allegedly) insist on these border checks on the island of Ireland, not the UK. The UK government have stated categorically that they will not put border checks in place. 

But the fact is, the EU could have easily solved the border issue over the past 4-5 years. They chose not to because they wanted to use it as a stick to beat us with. We even heard them saying this in those recorded meetings. Just wait and see when we leave with no deal, the EU will miraculously find a solution to the border issue. 

It's an absolute disgrace the EU are willing to play these games at the expense of the people of NI. 

Biden, the plastic Irishman needs to aim his verbal missiles toward the EU not the UK. But that doesn't fit with his globalist agenda.  

Edited by CG1 Blue
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1