Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The UK/ EU negotiations  end on Decenter 31 st , Biden is due to become POTUS on 20 January .

His point of view is currently irrelevant and the UK will talk to him once he officially gets the job .

We will deal with the EU first and then the USA , once they get settled 

Quite. Already, apparently, Cortez and Omar have signed a petition for J. Biden not to choose Reed and from what I read JB may also have similar problems if he chooses  A. Blinken because he supported the Iraq invasion. Seems to me that JB will have too many pressing problems on his own doorstep that he should deal with first before thinking about UK related border issues.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Quite. Already, apparently, Cortez and Omar have signed a petition for J. Biden not to choose Reed and from what I read JB may also have similar problems if he chooses  A. Blinken because he supported the Iraq invasion. Seems to me that JB will have too many pressing problems on his own doorstep that he should deal with first before thinking about UK related border issues.

Seems to me you are looking for excuses to ignore what Biden has said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.

No country has an open border with another unless some form of customs union is in place. Even then there are often immigration checks. Such as those which, despite the CTA, exist between the UK and RoI when travelling by sea or air and did so before Brexit.

To take it to it's extreme; would you be happy with goods and illegal immigrants being smuggled into the UK via the Republic?

A handful of smugglers managing to get through, versus the troubles starting again. I know which I'd prefer. 

18 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I know you're only playing dumb. Most people know the UK government have stated on many occasions that the UK will not put border checks in place. Long before Biden was on the scene. But you know that I'm sure....

So, ‘playing dumb’ the UK will do as it is told, either by the EU or by the US.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Is this the same Government that has sadi we will under no circumstances have a trade deal with the US that allows lower animal welfare standards?  And that is dealing so well with C19?  And the one led by those who told us we had an oven ready trade deal with the EU?

That's OK then, I can reast easy.

PH,

1. we don't have a trade deal with the US, so what's your point there? 

2. the 'oven ready' slogan was for the Withdrawal Agreement, which I'm sure has been pointed out to you several times. It might sink in one day...????‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, polpott said:

So what exactly do you think they are going to build? It will be a normal border between a non EU and EU country. Same as England and France. Customs and Excise checkpoints. They will be on both sides of the border, British checkpoints on the North side, Irish checkpoints on the South side.

The only difference would be that the free movement of people would still be in place, so no need for passports.

There won,t be " free movement" thats one of the reasons we left the eu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Seems to me that JB will have too many pressing problems on his own doorstep that he should deal with first before thinking about UK related border issues.

Probably will have no time for a trade deal with the UK either then

6 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As is clear in his post, @polpott is talking about free movement between the UK and RoI for Irish and UK citizens. Brexit has not changed that as the CTA will continue.

He didn,t specifie irish and uk citizens he said " people " so stop trying to put words into peoples mouths.

2 minutes ago, kingdong said:

He didn,t specifie irish and uk citizens he said " people " so stop trying to put words into peoples mouths.

As he was talking about free movement between the RoI and UK it's obvious he meant the CTA. Though to be fair, the CTA doesn't only apply to the RoI and UK but British citizens living in the Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man as well.

But it seems assuming people know what the CTA is was a mistake as far as you're concerned!

Educate yourself: Common Travel Area: rights of UK and Irish citizens

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, JonnyF said:

Biden pretending to be Irish again.

He should mind his own business. He has enough domestic problems without sticking his nose into other people's affairs. 

So should have fn Trump in many ways typical Trump supporter reply

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

But for much of the last four years Brexiteers have been telling us that the USA wold be coming over the hill like the 7th Cavalry with a trade deal which will be better than anything we ever had with the EU!

If the WA was so 'oven ready' then why is Boris now trying to back out of it?

What has happened to the "easiest trade deal in history?"

(Cue the usual Brexiteer posts blaming EU 'dirty tricks' followed by a complete inability to state what those dirty tricks are!)

Why keep coming out with these irrelevant and tired clichés? 

One person (Liam Fox) said it SHOULD be the easiest deal in history. And the context; because we already have a good trading relationship with the EU. It made perfect sense to say that at the time. 

Dirty tricks? How about the EU and Irish governments not allowing UK customs officials to discuss new border arrangements with Irish officials? The EU didn't want the border issue to be solved because they wanted the UK tied to the Single Market rules, and the Irish government saw it as a chance for Irish unification. 

What about the most blatant dirty trick that was caught on camera - with Barnier saying: 

“For me, there is also a strategic and tactical reason, which is to use Ireland for the future negotiations.

Isolating Ireland, and not closing this point, to leave it open for the next two or three years.

“And in that case, we will face clearly permanent pressure on the negotiations about trade, the single market because of Ireland.

I'd say this is beyond dirty! Playing with fear and emotions to achieve their political aims. 

• Thanks 1