Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

14 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

You were warned before the referendum that a vote to leave the EU would jeopardise the Good Friday agreement. You Brexiteers went ahead and voted for it anyway.

Its one of many consequences of voting for Brexit that you guys chose to ignore and labeled as project fear. 

Now you are trying to blame the EU because what you were warned about has happened? 

There was very little talk about the GFA prior to the referendum. In fact I don't even think it was mentioned in the government propaganda leaflet sent to every household at taxpayers' expense. 

It wasn't made a big deal because most sensible people knew there would be a way to get around the border issue. That is - unless the EU decided to use the NI border as a weapon. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

There was very little talk about the GFA prior to the referendum. In fact I don't even think it was mentioned in the government propaganda leaflet sent to every household at taxpayers' expense. 

It wasn't made a big deal because most sensible people knew there would be a way to get around the border issue. That is - unless the EU decided to use the NI border as a weapon. 

15 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

But who was it who agreed a solution to keeping the UK/RoI land border open and then a few months after proclaiming it a personal triumph reneged on it? Wasn't Barnier! 

I'd say that is beyond dirty! Playing with fear and emotions to achieve his political aims.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 7:56 AM, vogie said:

I don't want to see a border between the US and Mexico but it has got nothing what so-ever to do with me, and just because the President Elect has 1 ounce of Irish blood in him, Ireland has zippo to do with him.

Now that we are rid of Trump, I would like to see the United States mind its own business. The UK is perfectly capable of sorting out its own affairs.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are you sure about that. The U.K. has had 31/2 years to sort out customs arrangements and it looks like it's heading for utter disaster:

A portable cabin and Google Translate: Life on the Brexit haulage frontline | Business News | Sky News

You are correct. I don't know much about the UK, because it's all I can do to keep up with the insanity in the USA, while I am living in Thailand.  USA has been meddling for too many years.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:36 PM, cmarshall said:

I do very much dislike arrogant, self-serving lying of the kind typified by the we-stood-alone-against-Hitler posturing of the previous post or the lying about Brexit.  And the Brits do a lot of it.  Of course, I realize Britain is more than the Eton crowd that runs it, but they are the face of your nation.

If it's any consolation I like even less the same behavior among Americans, who have a far worse effect on the world nowadays than the Brits.  

Its not all Brits mate. Most of us are fully aware of the actions and sacrifices other nations made in WW2.

Its only the ardent Brexiteers who never actually served their country who bang on about the war.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Its not all Brits mate. Most of us are fully aware of the actions and sacrifices other nations made in WW2.

Its only the ardent Brexiteers who never actually served their country who bang on about the war.

How many Britons who post on this forum could actually have served during WW2. They'd have to be at last 90. It seems presumptuous take credit for the sacrifices of others.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

How many Britons who post on this forum could actually have served during WW2. They'd have to be at last 90. It seems presumptuous take credit for the sacrifices of others.

Plastic patriots mate. Wouldn't want to or indeed could get into a trench.

• Like 2

Just now, vogie said:

Be honest Rookie how many times as a bleep have you been in a trench, honestly.

If you are in a war zone you dig a trench next to your radio wagon.

Even on exercise we were supposed to dig one but please dont tell my old SSM because sometimes I didnt do it. ????

Still break out in a cold sweat when I think about him.

By the way. Digging a trench in sand? Not easy.  

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed.

As Hitler has already been introduced into this topic by a Brexiteer (again!) a reminder that Hitler became Chancellor because the Nazis won the largest share of the vote in 1932.

So he was democratically elected. A point certain members should remember before they yet again say that criticising the government is undemocratic!

Was barnier " democratically elected"?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Quite a relevant point when discussing the UK being ruled by a Europe dominated by Germany 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Quite a relevant point when discussing the UK being ruled by a Europe dominated by Germany 

Completely irrelevant and not factually correct. It wasn't ruled by Europe, UK jointly ruled the EU alongside the 27 other members, and for the same reason it isn't and never has been dominated by Germany. All countries have equal membership.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

Totally agree.(for once)however very easy to dig oneself into a hole.good luck with your hoped for rosy future with the eu.

How would you know about digging trenches in sand?

Oh unless you are thinking about those beaches you used to play on.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, polpott said:

Completely irrelevant and not factually correct. It wasn't ruled by Europe, UK jointly ruled the EU alongside the 27 other members, and for the same reason it isn't and never has been dominated by Germany. All countries have equal membership.

What a democratic utopia and the peasants voted to leave it,you couldn,t make it up.

1 minute ago, kingdong said:

What a democratic utopia and the peasants voted to leave it,you couldn,t make it up.

No you couldn't, it baffles me. The only explanation I can give is the vast amounts of subliminal messaging that bombarded the peasants from AIQ, Cambridge Analytica and the St Petersburg Troll Farm. Have pity on them, they know not what they do.

• Like 1