Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

It's ironic that Britain's oppression of the Irish which created the Irish Diaspora during the Famine should at this late date produce such effect revenge as the Irish American block, which emphatically includes President-elect Biden, should be dictating the UK's internal borders.

But not to worry.  it won't be the UK for long.  Once the Celtic bits get trimmed off, it'll just be Little England.

Would you like independence ?

45 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

You talk as though you've been subjugated so long that you'll take orders from anyone now, even someone who isn't yet the leader of a country that makes thinly veiled economic threats. That ingrained deference will come in handy when Scotland joins the EU.

The UK on the other hand doesn't take orders from the US, we don't take orders from the EU and we don't respond well to blackmail.

Just like North Korea then ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know did some horrible things over there but i was taking about how we build our empire it was not with our own forces but with forces from local leaders manipulating them. We did not have the same power the UK did at that time. Does not mean the Dutch were any  "nicer"  then the Brits or any others who conquered others.

But it shows a different mindset, more thinking about benefits and trade then freedom and force. We never thought we were some kind of super power (we were not) we kept it all together by deals and manipulation. (and force of course). But we did not have the mindset of being able to do it all alone. 

There is no excusing what the Dutch did in Indonesia, I could find enough examples of Brit violence too but that was not my point. 

That was 100's of years ago , the World has moved on since then .

The year is 2020 , the year isnt 1720 .

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

That was 100's of years ago , the World has moved on since then .

The year is 2020 , the year isnt 1720 .

Sorry for mistakenly thinking that we still had Indonesia and tried to get it back just after the second world war (that was when the war crimes were committed) . Same like the Brit empire we were in decline before that time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Oh and I thought you were going to offer something vague like unspecified "past posts" to support your point. It's nonsense. Please stop making things up.

Surely you can remember when the Euros thought that they were being two timed by the US and all the snide remarks about the US, and they thought, how dare the Brits cheat on us.

I would put your memory lapse down to selective memory rather than claiming I made it up, I didn't.

1 minute ago, polpott said:

But a trade deal between UK-US does. If Biden wants to make honouring the Good Friday agreement a condition of the trade deal, he can. Up to him. Trash the Good Friday Agreement and trash the UK-US trade deal, up to Johnson.

Exactly, but not all of us would sell our grandmother just to get an extra kipper.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

They were not vocal about leaving before the UK left the EU. They just did not want to leave the EU and think its better to be under the EU then UK (cant blame them when someone like BJ is in power).

Its a direct result from Brexit, if the Irish and Scots really leave the UK then its a direct result from nationalistic Brexiteers. The fun part is nationalists in a way are responsible for the UK falling appart.

And no I wont say like BJ that it will be easy for the Scots or Irish to do so and that it will be a fast easy deal without any drawbacks. 

You are re writing history , Ireland isnt part of the UK (so it cannot leave the UK ) and there has always been calls for Scottish independence  

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

But a trade deal between UK-US does. If Biden wants to make honouring the Good Friday agreement a condition of the trade deal, he can. Up to him. Trash the Good Friday Agreement and trash the UK-US trade deal, up to Johnson.

Just hope that he will treat the E.U. the same way as he treats the UK , after all it would be jointly the E.U.s fault if the GFA is reversed 

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Just hope that he will treat the E.U. the same way as he treats the UK , after all it would be jointly the E.U.s fault if the GFA is reversed 

Completely untrue. Johnson alone has reneged on the agreed deal between EU-UK regarding NI border arrangements. His action has even been deemed illegal under international law.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

OK. No kipper (trade deal with US) for the UK then.

What Biden says in theatre may be entirely different to what he says behind closed doors, but either way he should keep his nose out of other countries business.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Belgium is also a member of the E.U..

No man in the street believe/experience they are subjugated by this E.U. thing.

Belgium has just decided that every pensioner should have a least a monthly income of 1500 Euro ( about 54000 ThB ).

Well the great majority believe it is a Belgian decision,

for the ones who are convinced that the E.U. interfere in the local  matters of its members, it will be of course, an E.U. decision.

Of course they don't set every policy. Yet. For now it is things on a larger scale that you may not see every day, things like your countries state aid rules. Who they can do trade deals with. Whose waters they can fish. Who you can and cannot let into your country. Oh and make sure you don't break the rule of law mechanism.

This is the new mechanism in which the EU can withhold money from member states if they don't like your government's policies, which is essentially a tool for the unelected EU commission to force their ideology on the democratically elected governments of member states. And when I say withhold money, you should remember that this "EU money" is actually the money that YOUR country paid into the EU via your taxes. 

So it's kind of like you give me some money to manage something for you, and then I refuse to pay any of it back unless you agree to my ideas and ideologies.

If you like that, fine. I don't want that for the UK's future. And this is just the start, if you can't see the direction that the EU federalist project is going then I can't really help you.

Your attitude seems to be that as long as I get a decent pension then I don't care. I take a less blinkered approach. Still, you can lead a horse to water...