Biden says UK border with Ireland must be open

webfact

20 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As I pointed out earlier to someone who claimed that remainers hated the USA, if by USA you mean the Trump administration then yes. Otherwise, not so much.

Oh I'm sure the left really love the US, it is well documented that they don't, however if it fits your agenda and makes you feel better by thinking that. I think it would be fair to say that the majority of remainers and Euros shall we say sway to the left, the other reasons that people are supporting remain is because their pensions have taken a hit and would prefer to blame all their woes and miserable life is to blame everything on Brexit. There are other reasons too, one guy on here blames Brexit for his portfolio taking a dip or they might have to get a visa to visit Torremolinos or Baden Baden. 

What I said stands and if you wish to ignore the obvious that is entirely up to you.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

EU membership, which kept the Scots from leaving the UK in 2014, will be a large part of the reason that they will eventually go.  

So , if the Scots wanted independence and also to remain in the EU , why didnt they leave the UK and then join the EU as an independent Scotland ?

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Surely you can remember when the Euros thought that they were being two timed by the US and all the snide remarks about the US, and they thought, how dare the Brits cheat on us.

I would put your memory lapse down to selective memory rather than claiming I made it up, I didn't.

Let’s take questions of memory out of it.

Post a link to ‘Remainers’ making comments that are hateful towards the US.

You made the claim, back it up.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

The Irish already have and the Scots soon will be joining the EU.

The SNP were told to wind their necks in by the CDL as recently as last week:

Letter from CDL to Michael Russell MSP

The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, Michael Gove, has written to Michael Russell MSP

Jeff Taylor explained their continued meddling in an 'idiots guide' last night for those that are struggling.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

Gove? One of the dimmest bulbs in the Tory chandelier?  Who has time to read the man who said in 2016, "“There is a free trade zone stretching from Iceland to Turkey that all European nations have access to … after we vote to leave we will remain in this zone?"  

lol; & what about the content?

(BTW: this was him the same day)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Boy, are you uninformed.  Here's a graph of the German balance of trade.  See if you can find the point at which trade began to be conducted in euros kept cheap by the membership of the Southern tier countries in the euro zone.

image.png.273815977b6629e633fa1b7afc866c11.png

I am uninformed? You’re delusional if you believe Germany alone can support the periphery. Why do you think they have been printing euros like there’s no tomorrow? And do you think the German taxpayers are going to allow their savings to continue eroding for much longer while their bosses get richer? 
Trouble is brewing in the EU, that is evident.

So the Germans get a cheap euro that benefits their exports, no barriers trade deals etc. The southern countries get their industry destroyed since they can’t compete with cheap no tariff Chinese products, they can’t lower wages by manipulating their currency, huge price inflation (especially in real estate) due to influx of foreign money from richer EU countries, extreme dependence on tourism, but that’s all fine because they get lots of subsidies right? 

Sounds like a great deal to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

I am uninformed? You’re delusional if you believe Germany alone can support the periphery. Why do you think they have been printing euros like there’s no tomorrow? And do you think the German taxpayers are going to allow their savings to continue eroding for much longer while their bosses get richer? 
Trouble is brewing in the EU, that is evident.

So the Germans get a cheap euro that benefits their exports, no barriers trade deals etc. The southern countries get their industry destroyed since they can’t compete with cheap no tariff Chinese products, they can’t lower wages by manipulating their currency, huge price inflation (especially in real estate) due to influx of foreign money from richer EU countries, extreme dependence on tourism, but that’s all fine because they get lots of subsidies right? 

Sounds like a great deal to me.

As I said earlier, the euro is a bone-headed idea for most countries, but not for the major exporters like Germany and the Netherlands.

Germany printing euros like there's no tomorrow?  I guess it'll soon be time to get out the Weimar wheelbarrows again.

image.png.1364241c5bf4f7c12e200690ab4a262f.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

As I said earlier, the euro is a bone-headed idea for most countries, but not for the major exporters like Germany and the Netherlands.

Germany printing euros like there's no tomorrow?  I guess it'll soon be time to get out the Weimar wheelbarrows again.

image.png.1364241c5bf4f7c12e200690ab4a262f.png

You’re over exaggerating my claims by comparing them to Weimar as you know you’re on thin ground.

Inflation is at 1.5% but the bank savings rate is at -0.5% so savers are losing ~2% per year.

These inflation graphs are all a lie. As an anecdote, when my country switched to the euro, prices of many goods doubled overnight. Yet you check the official statistics and it’s a measly 4%.

If you want non anecdotal evidence regarding Germany, look at the evolution of property prices in Munich and Frankfurt in the last 5 years.

Also Germany doesn’t print euros, the ECB does. You should be looking at M2 money supply increase and the ECB balance sheet for an idea of what’s coming:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/annual/balance/html/index.en.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

We dont have to do what Biden says , we are an independent Country and the USA do not Govern us 

Haha such sweet ignorance. 

I think you’re missing the rather large, and I would have thought blatantly obvious, point. 

The U.K. are in a mess trade wise so they need rather large friends, now the EU are the biggest,???? US coming up behind ???? - does that help ? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Usually, you're all aghast and angered at US interference across the globe. Now, suddenly you think it's just peachy.

Interference is rather a broad word, is it not? Apparently, in your view it can encompass anything from war to words. You don't see any significant difference between words and deeds?

Edited by placeholder

17 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

???? 

Right, because the USA has 27 different official languages, over 2000 years of recorded history (with enmities and wars) and completely different major cultures?

Just like Europe has one major culture and one dominant language, with a strong federal government established 200 years ago right??

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Interference is rather a broad word, is it not. Apparently, in your view it can encompass anything from war to words. You don't see any significant difference between words and deeds.

Don't talk gibberish. Interference is clearly understood as someone or some thing intervening without invitation to do so. And Rob has years of posts where he complains about the US interfering. Had this been an instance of Biden demanding the Dutch increase their share of Nato spending, I imagine quite a few Dutchies would be out whining and complaining about US interference. Just like the Germans did about Trump and Nordstream 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

You’re over exaggerating my claims by comparing them to Weimar as you know you’re on thin ground.

Inflation is at 1.5% but the bank savings rate is at -0.5% so savers are losing ~2% per year.

These inflation graphs are all a lie. As an anecdote, when my country switched to the euro, prices of many goods doubled overnight. Yet you check the official statistics and it’s a measly 4%.

If you want non anecdotal evidence regarding Germany, look at the evolution of property prices in Munich and Frankfurt in the last 5 years.

Also Germany doesn’t print euros, the ECB does. You should be looking at M2 money supply increase and the ECB balance sheet for an idea of what’s coming:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/annual/balance/html/index.en.html

You inflation hawks never learn.  Why should anyone care about M2 if there's no inflation?  Maybe inflation is not always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon after all.  

Here's your German housing price index, at least from 2005 on.  Yup, look's like it correlates with the German trade surplus which tends to drive up asset values, not by "printing euros."

So, we are left with either anecdotal inflation or some mystical kind of inflation.

image.png.c394883731910878d3c9782b2c5ca27c.png

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Don't talk gibberish. Interference is clearly understood as someone or some thing intervening without invitation to do so. And Rob has years of posts where he complains about the US interfering. Had this been an instance of Biden demanding the Dutch increase their share of Nato spending, I imagine quite a few Dutchies would be out whining and complaining about US interference. Just like the Germans did about Trump and Nordstream 2. 

Is it so hard to understand?  Let me make it easy for you:

US intervention in Iraq leading to deaths of up to 1 million innocent Iraqis  =  BAD

US intervention to preserve the Good Friday Agreement to maintain peace in Ireland = GOOD

What makes you think you live in a world where intervention is by invitation only?

Edited by cmarshall

2 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

You inflation hawks never learn.  Why should anyone care about M2 if there's no inflation?  Maybe inflation is not always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon after all.  

Here's your German housing price index, at least from 2005 on.  Yup, look's like it correlates with the German trade surplus which tends to drive up asset values, not by "printing euros."

So, we are left with either anecdotal inflation or some mystical kind of inflation.

image.png.c394883731910878d3c9782b2c5ca27c.png

So house prices have risen 50% since 2015 yet inflation has been around 2%?

One of those graphs is telling a lie...