UK driving license use?

Hi,

If I have a UK driving license (photo type) can I drive a car in Thailand without having a IDL (international drivers licence). I have read conflicting reports but someone has told me I can drive for 3 months on the UK license without needing the IDL.

Background, have just arrived and my Thai license has run out and I cannot get a cert of residence until next year from UK embassy and not until I have a 90 day report for Thai issued one.

• Confused 1

If you're lucky... we once watched a Thai policeman hold my IDP upside down with a serious mien. Tea money will get you through but if you have an accident you're up the creek. 

Your local police station should be able to give you a certificate but may be reluctant (tea money). 

Edited by cooked
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

its a translation document that accompanies your home license.

Strangely though the translated languages do not include the Thai language   so how it helps "Somchai Plod" determine  driving entitlement at a roadside stop is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johng said:

Strangely though the translated languages do not include the Thai language   so how it helps "Somchai Plod" determine  driving entitlement at a roadside stop is anyone's guess.

The IDP puts your license details into an agreed international format, ie: a tick in box 1 equals a car license etc, in theory it can be read in any language.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, you can drive in Thailand with your UK license and an IDP (International Driving Permt), its not a license, its a translation document that accompanies your home license. There is not such thing as an international driving License.

In theory you can drive on just your UK license as per The Thai motor vehicle act

Section 42-2

In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government.

However many police and insurance etc will want to see an IDP

Thats the thing I was told about, was also told it needs to be in English and be a photo type as well.

2 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Hi,

If I have a UK driving license (photo type) can I drive a car in Thailand without having a IDL (international drivers licence). I have read conflicting reports but someone has told me I can drive for 3 months on the UK license without needing the IDL.

Background, have just arrived and my Thai license has run out and I cannot get a cert of residence until next year from UK embassy and not until I have a 90 day report for Thai issued one.

Maybe obselete but can you get a TM30? Then having taken that to a police station. They give you a receipt which has address and use that to get Cert. of Res.

Can help you with a good visa/et al. agent if you want Cert. of Res. 1200 baht. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Maybe obselete but can you get a TM30? Then having taken that to a police station. They give you a receipt which has address and use that to get Cert. of Res.

Can help you with a good visa/et al. agent if you want Cert. of Res. 1200 baht. 

C OF R at soi 5 jomtien.....is about 360 baht why pay 1200???

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, you can drive in Thailand with your UK license and an IDP (International Driving Permt), its not a license, its a translation document that accompanies your home license. There is not such thing as an international driving License.

In theory you can drive on just your UK license as per The Thai motor vehicle act

Section 42-2

In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government.

link to agreement referred to in 42-2please

This is a ‘two pronged’ question: 

1) With a UK DL and no IDP can the Op legally drive in Thailand?

2) With a UK DL and no IDP will the Op be insured while driving Thailand?

Don’t worry too much about #1:

- The worst that can happen is the BiB stop the Op and he has to pay 2000-500B fine for not having an IDP. 

- Most probable, the Op is not stopped at all, but if he is, he shows his UK license and that is sufficient (as CharlieH wrote)

- As I understand it, legally a UK driving licence is good for the first 90 days due to the Motor Act (as Peterw42 wrote)

#2 may be an issue.

- Driving without an IDP may present wiggle room for insurance to side-step a claim if the Op is involved in an accident.

- The Op should obtain written confirmation that he is covered to drive in Thailand with his UK licence.

-------

Op: You said you couldn’t get an appointment to secure an Affirmation of Residence letter until next year, did you mean next month (i.e. Jan 2021, next calendar year) ?

Op - there are reports that a Letter of Residence can be obtained from Immigration in Chiang Mai. I’m not sure if the rules have changed. Thus, it may be worth going out to the Immigration office at Impact (nr Chaeng Wattana) and see if you can get a Letter of Residence from there without requiring first to have applied for a 90 day report.

I wonder if its worth phoning the Embassy and pleading your case, that you need an earlier appointment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

both require IDP

The conventions defines what an IDP is, the individual countries define if its a requirement. (as per the Thai 42.2)

Nowhere does it say an IDP is mandatory for signatories , it defines what an IDP is, the format, the languages etc. 

Most countries have signed the conventions and accept each others licenses on face value and only require an IDP if a translation etc is required, ( no translation is required if licenses is in English)

The conventions are basically an agreement for all countries to recognise each others licenses, and the definition of a further translation/format document (IDP) if required.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The conventions defines what an IDP is, the individual countries define if its a requirement. (as per the Thai 42.2)

Nowhere does it say an IDP is mandatory for signatories , it defines what an IDP is, the format, the languages etc. 

Most countries have signed the conventions and accept each others licenses on face value and only require an IDP if a translation etc is required, ( no translation is required if licenses is in English)

The conventions are basically an agreement for all countries to recognise each others licenses, and the definition of a further translation/format document (IDP) if required.

Unfortunately, in Thailand what is often understood to be the law is actually a group of guys passing down their information to another group of more junior guys. 

Bar stool experts pass down their learned experience to others; such as 'farang is always wrong’ (in an accident), this is questioned by those with a brain not gullible enough to believe someone who’s spent the last 15 years at ’Tiks’ propping the bar. However, for the BiB its a little different. The misinformation and incorrect regulations and laws passed down from policeman to policeman in a system with very little training is rarely questioned and thus we have the IDP dilemma, where an IDP is not required in Thailand, but a Policeman may ask for it anyway !

Thus: Regarding the legality of driving without an IDP on a UK (or other home licence) - IF a Policeman asks for an IDP, how does one educate a Policeman that he is incorrect ????  

I remember being stopped at the Don Muang Toll booth heading north - the BiB next to the booth saw me pay the toll and asked me to pull over, they asked for my driving licence (I had my UK licence) I showed it up to the window but didn’t hand it across. They asked for my IDP which I didn’t have, they said 500B fine - I laughed and said ’no chance’ and drove off.

Had I handed over my UK licence I would have been in a negotiation, not about the IDP, but to get my UK licence returned !

In such a situation, arguing (politely) with the BiB that they are wrong and do not in fact know the law may be a rather time consuming exercise !

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Section 42-2

Is the IDP only valid for use in ???????? for 90 days ?

On 11/25/2020 at 1:05 AM, MRToMRT said:

Hi,

There is a lot of uncertainty about whether or not you need an IDP with UK D/L. It has photo and is in an accepted language - English.

however it is worth noting that no matter how long your IPD or UK licence is valid for it only lasts for 90 days in Thailand.

I would think that any hotel address or apartment would be OK for Thai immigration to issue a proof of residence. Renewing should be no problem.

Just now, Histavia said:

There is a lot of uncertainty about whether or not you need an IDP with UK D/L. UK licence has a photo and is in an accepted language - English. but the police sometimes don't appear to know this.

however it is worth noting that no matter how long your IPD or UK licence is valid for it only lasts for 90 days in Thailand.

I would think that any hotel address or apartment would be OK for Thai immigration to issue a proof of residence. Renewing should be no problem.

8 hours ago, transam said:

The British Embassy Consular Team enquired for us exactly what is needed, which is, UK licence with a valid International Driving Permit, these can be used for 90 days....

Which leaves the question; what is the point of translating English into English?

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 9:12 AM, transam said:

The British Embassy Consular Team enquired for us exactly what is needed, which is, UK licence with a valid International Driving Permit, these can be used for 90 days....

For 90 days from entry to Thailand? For 90 days from each entry? For 90 days in total for all entries?

On 11/26/2020 at 1:12 AM, KC 71 said:

Is the IDP only valid for use in ???????? for 90 days ?

There is no 90 day limit, driving license + IDP based on 1949 convention can be used as long as it's valid (maximum validity of the 1949 IDP is one year)

It's not 100% clear if an IDP is required or not, to play it safe better have one.

All official sources here:

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, KC 71 said:

I think you can use the I.D.L for 3 months while in ????????

He doesn't have an IDP>, which can be problematic when in an accident.

I've experienced that Thai insurance is trying all not to pay, well, that's an International thing. 

When somebody almost killed me, and it wasn't my fault because he made a red light and was speeding, I had to show my Thai license at least five times. 

The law says that foreigners need an International permit that's only good when having the license. 

You will need to apply for a Thai driving licence or, if you already hold a UK licence, an International Driving Permit. If you drive a car or ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a valid licence, this may invalidate your travel insurance if you have an accident or injury.

Safety and security - Thailand travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• Like 1