First night of ASQ must be in a hospital?

I heard several times that for over 60 year olds the first night of ASQ had to be in a hospital. 

(Cost obviously not covered by any insurance - negative pressure room in a first tier private hospital easily 50000 B)

I haven't seen any official rule requiring this, though.

Is this a requirement that some ASQ hotels just make up? So you can find hotels that do not require this?

Or is it an official requirement? 

8 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

I heard several times that for over 60 year olds the first night of ASQ had to be in a hospital. 

(Cost obviously not covered by any insurance - negative pressure room in a first tier private hospital easily 50000 B)

I haven't seen any official rule requiring this, though.

Is this a requirement that some ASQ hotels just make up? So you can find hotels that do not require this?

Or is it an official requirement? 

Not so but why would insurance not cover it? 

52 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Not so but why would insurance not cover it? 

Health insurance covers illness. 

If you are not sick but stay in hospital as an entry requirement of a country health insurance will not cover it. 

There is a thread whether insurance covers hospitalisation of asymptomatic, covid 19- positive people. 

According to Sheryl, TGIA insurances do cover this.  International insurance would normally not cover (if they know you are asymptomatic).

In my OP here I am talking of covid 19- negative people over 60,  just arriving at Suvannabhumi.

26 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

If you are not sick but stay in hospital as an entry requirement of a country health insurance will not cover it. 

There is a thread whether insurance covers hospitalisation of asymptomatic, covid 19- positive people. 

According to Sheryl, TGIA insurances do cover this.  International insurance would normally not cover (if they know you are asymptomatic).

In my OP here I am talking of covid 19- negative people over 60,  just arriving at Suvannabhumi.

So what happens in hospital then..no tests ,checks,observations? Your covid insurance doesn’t,t cover you for tests ? Weird idea ,you heard it from whom?

35 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

Yes, there is a large 'grey area' here.

When you subscribed to insurance that covers covid-19 starting from date of departure, many would consider your hospitalization a pre-existing condition.

There have also been some posts of policies that would NOT cover the costs if you were taken into quarantaine, and it turned out that you were not ill but had a false-positive test (more likely than actually having catched covid-19).

So it's a clear case of caveat emptor when subscribing to a covid-19 coverage policy and you need to make sure that you read/understood all the fine print before making your choice, this to avoid any claim-denial surprises later.

21 hours ago, Olmate said:

So what happens in hospital then..no tests ,checks,observations? Your covid insurance doesn’t,t cover you for tests ? Weird idea ,you heard it from whom?

https://www.thephuketnews.com/asq-report-a-phuket-expat-personal-account-of-re-entering-thailand-77896.php

Read in the numbered list, it is no 7.

I have heard it before,  but that was a long time ago. This article is fairly recent, though. 

You are hospitalized the first night because as such an old, frail geriatric person you should stay under observation before checking into a hotel.

They won't do much in the hospital,  but I have at the time heard that Bangkok hospital would put you into a negative pressure room, as a precaution. 

Health insurances generally do not cover precautionary observation of completely healthy people. Try to get your pre-flight Covid test reimbursed :)!

This seems to be something Bangkok Hospital (affiliated to some of the ASQs but not al of them) does. As I understand it the ASQ fee covers the 1 night in the hospital.

It is ludicrous in the extreme and reason enough nto to book with those specific ASQs IMO.

Archived