Thailand praised for Covid response - quick tourism recovery expected

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While Thailand did do a very good job in containing the virus, until their paranoia about the virus dies down a little and the quarantine is removed I don't though see tourism recovering quickly.

This Agoda guy John Brown obviously has no idea about Thai politics, psyche and paranoia. He relies on what TAT tells him, I guess 

Thailand praised for Covid response - quick tourism recovery expected   REUTERS file photo for reference only   John Brown of online booking platform Agoda predicted that Asia

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Once whichever  vaccine starts to be distributed the paranoia will be relieved

no TH official or other source ever mentioned the extremely difficult handling / logistics of all of these C19 vaccines: At ultra-low temp. !! your deep freezer environment does not qualify...a challenge for a lot of countries

• Like 1
5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've just looked at Booking Holdings' share price and was amazed to see it is almost back to where it was in January! Very surprised at this but I suppose announcements like this are there to inspire confidence in shareholders, even if most hotel owners are taking a more realistic view.

Thanks to the 64 million Euro they received from the Dutch Government for their Amsterdam office to survive, perhaps? The year before they made an enormous profit,  which disappeared in the pockets of management and shareholders. And then cry for help when business slows down........

Edited by damascase
Typo
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the world was looking towards Asia.

Yea right they may looking at it, that doesn't a thing .

Let them back in and see what happens ,most countries aren't doing so good in containing the Virus.

They may let many suspect virus carries back in.    :hit-the-fan:

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Looking on the visa boards, and traffic through the RTE London, lots are taking up the option of the TR visa, it will be appealing to those who can afford to take off several months and with talk of reduced quarantine, I see January being a busy(ish) month for returnees and expats, let’s hope we start to see an uptick in arrivals soon.

Edited by Jaye Mak Mak
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, thurien said:

no TH official or other source ever mentioned the extremely difficult handling / logistics of all of these C19 vaccines: At ultra-low temp. !! your deep freezer environment does not qualify...a challenge for a lot of countries

The "technology" is not such a difficult problem in that  Thailand  has a  manufacturing  capacity  to  provide  it.

It  may well be  being undertaken  as of this  moment.

The  real issue  is in the  capacity of effective  administration . Maybe  there is time  between now and when such  vaccines are  available that a rapid  training  program is undertaken?

There need  be some imperative in that !

I have seen the waste of  expensive distributions of  rabies  vaccines being handed  out  to  people  nominated  as dog  owners to  take home in their hand  or pocket to inject at  any such  time as their   dog  appears  on the doorstep. That  vaccine also  deteriorates  quickly  if above a critical temperature in less than  10 minutes !

• Like 1

Excellent sourcing:

RYT got it from Infoquest, who presumably got it from CNBC. Although there is the possibility of the proverbial Chinese whispers, I have yet to see where he said that a quick recovery was expected.

The quote is: "Speaking on CNBC Mr Brown said that signs were that both Thailand and Taiwan would lead the way in Asia where recovery is likely to be far quicker than in the west."

is likely to be far quicker than the west....not that a quick recovery is expected. Poetic license, or fake news?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand and Taiwan's domestic tourism market was getting going again.

I agree these long weekends every month have increased the number of tourists at the popular destinations.

The problem from my observation is it is just increasing debt.  Many putting hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc. on their credit cards.  To add, the Thais I know usually make the minimum payment every month some carrying 3 or 4 credit cards.