I am unlikely to do business with a place that _______.

moontang

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have absolutely no problem with anyone's food choices. Eat and drink whatever you like.

I just find it strange that anyone been in LOS more than *5 minutes* would expect a restaurant to have a knowledgeable wine guy on staff, or at least in one affordable for TVF posters to eat at.

I think if I was going to spend 15,000 baht on anything I wouldn't be asking some guy I never met to advise me on my choice. I'd research it myself before I went to buy it.

* poetic license, all right?

Seriously, are you actually spending 15,000 on booze when Thai people have to beg for food handouts?

No. Absolutely not. But, unless you are giving away alot of cash to people in need right now, you have absolutely no right to question how another man spends his money. 

I was eating at a fairly expensive restaurant on a special occasion. We were ordering wine in the 2000 to 2500 baht a bottle range. My post was a suggestion, that if you have a substantial wine list and offer bottles that cost up to 15,000 baht each, some knowledge of the wine, by at least one member of the staff would be expected, anywhere in the world. This is not an average, nor a cheap restaurant. Say anything you want about it, but that does not excuse the extreme lack of good service. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, newnative said:

I will likely still do business with this store, as there aren't a lot of choices with large hardware/home stores,  but I hate when a store has things on display and you call a sales clerk over and say, "I want to buy that item", only to get the answer, "We don't carry that any more."  Huh?   If you no longer carry the item, why still have it on display for sale, wasting space?

I remember one time my partner and I had spent quite some time picking out kitchen cabinet handles, only to get this no answer.  We searched some more, came up with a second choice--same answer.  Finally we wised up and asked what did the store have?  Turns out, not much. 

When we were doing our View Talay renovations, we found a 2 seat dining set that we especially liked at an independent furniture store out on Sukumvit.  The set was stylish, comfortable, just the right size, and a good price. We bought at least 3 sets and when we went back to buy another set the sales clerk said they stopped carrying the set because it kept selling out.  Again, huh?

Yep. I refer to Thailand as a distant planet. Not a foreign country. Not a knock on the place, at all. I love it here and part of the reason, is that it is so different. However, I am a businessman. And anything that sells out, I always make sure I reorder, and try to have in stock. Common sense to some of us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

And places that have customers who leave a negative TripAdvisor review arrested.  ????

Or even the ones that respond to all reviews, and are way too defensive about criticism, that you know is often true.  The foreign bar managers do this a lot.  Few last. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Say anything you want about it, but that does not excuse the extreme lack of good service. 

It is hardly a rare thing here... as I sit waiting to hear back from the outfit who have had my expensive watch for service since August.... 

They are mostly hopeless....

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is hardly a rare thing here... as I sit waiting to hear back from the outfit who have had my expensive watch for service since August.... 

They are mostly hopeless....

Yeah. Under those circumstances, I tend to shame them into doing the what they were hired to do! Incessant nagging, calling and just pushing them. It becomes a game for me. Fun fun. They usually respond well to diplomatic style shaming. I think they just do not know what to make of the gentle confrontational style. LOL. 

Edited by spidermike007

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I must be behind the times because the wage used to be 9,000 a month, though that was a while ago.

If my wife had been earning 18,000 I'd have been expecting her to pay for her own restaurant meals.

the extremes i know, and I emphasize, 'KNOW', is 12k to 120k month. bargirl salary and bonus excluded from this. some will disagree, those being.... who know bargirls on less than 12k or those who know bargirls on more than 120k....

thank you. ask me and i will tell...

On 12/3/2020 at 5:26 AM, jastheace said:

the extremes i know, and I emphasize, 'KNOW', is 12k to 120k month. bargirl salary and bonus excluded from this. some will disagree, those being.... who know bargirls on less than 12k or those who know bargirls on more than 120k....

thank you. ask me and i will tell...

Those salaries will not be back for quite some time.  

On 11/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, ShindenGo said:

Farang business with an American flag or any other alt-right contraband. 

I recently complained when I realised old faithful had been removed from on of my favorites bars

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nout said:

I recently complained when I realised old faithful had been removed from on of my favorites bars

Just to revisit that... I think it is bad flag etiquette to fly a flag of another country without flying the host flag at equal height.  If anyone wants to research it, I am all ears.  Also, there could not be a worse time to be alienating potential farang customers.  I recall CANADIAN MASSAGE in CM.  I don't think it lasted a year, and had a prime foot traffic location. Seemed kind of stupid, even with tourism booming, but don't recall ever seeing a tour bus full of Canadians (thankfully).  Now, I just spent a week in Jomtien, and rode the Baht bus zigzagging to avoid the drainage construction.  Didn't see a single US, Australian, or British flag, but saw at least a half dozen Norwegian flags.. all at businesses swirling down the toilet bowl.  59 for a 490 ml fresh, cold Heineken out of my esky on the beach, or 75 for a small at Jan and Leks with a view of a foreign flag from a country well known for ripoff food and beverage pricing.  Such an easy choice.  A good friend went on a Viking Cruise last year and loved it.. but they stopped for lunch in Copenhagen and two hamburgers and two beers set them back 95 USD.  Ouch.  And while we're at it, you can add all the biker gear stuff that I won't go near, maybe not even with free food. 

Edited by moontang

14 hours ago, moontang said:

Just to revisit that... I think it is bad flag etiquette to fly a flag of another country without flying the host flag at equal height.  If anyone wants to research it, I am all ears.  Also, there could not be a worse time to be alienating potential farang customers.  I recall CANADIAN MASSAGE in CM.  I don't think it lasted a year, and had a prime foot traffic location. Seemed kind of stupid, even with tourism booming, but don't recall ever seeing a tour bus full of Canadians (thankfully).  Now, I just spent a week in Jomtien, and rode the Baht bus zigzagging to avoid the drainage construction.  Didn't see a single US, Australian, or British flag, but saw at least a half dozen Norwegian flags.. all at businesses swirling down the toilet bowl.  59 for a 490 ml fresh, cold Heineken out of my esky on the beach, or 75 for a small at Jan and Leks with a view of a foreign flag from a country well known for ripoff food and beverage pricing.  Such an easy choice.  A good friend went on a Viking Cruise last year and loved it.. but they stopped for lunch in Copenhagen and two hamburgers and two beers set them back 95 USD.  Ouch.  And while we're at it, you can add all the biker gear stuff that I won't go near, maybe not even with free food. 

A MC Style bordello should targets its customers

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2020 at 3:43 AM, allane said:

any place that first serves a Thai customer who has jumped the queue and stepped in front of me, solely on the basis that he is Thai and I am not.  It happened to me yesterday, with a teenage kid who by definition has not lived in Thailand as long as I have. I have lived here for 25 years. 

teenage kids jump the line in the west too... what does how long you lived in Thailand have to do with anything? 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm always pretty calm, no matter what I see, hear, or pretend not to hear.

A friend who had to go back gave me his scooter to use until he comes back, which can take a while. The US of A is not where he'd like to be, but life can get complicated. 

He knows that I take care of any stuff, which was also why he gave the scooter to me, not leaving it at his wife's place for well-known reasons. 

She always needs money, and after a new nose, tits, chin, and many other jobs, she seems to throw around with money she doesn't have.

I received the scooter in parts. The guy had bought a new starter, and many parts had to be screwed together.  

The rear tire was more than overused, so I went to some shops to check on the prices for such a vast scooter tire.

I think it was a 120, or 130 tire, pretty thick for a scooter.

At first, I went to my place where I usually pay Thai price, and they offered a new tire for 440 baht.

I'd have bought the tire, but they don't have a mechanic. I said I'd be back in a few minutes, and I wasn't wrong.

Then the next shop where two mechanics worked at bikes and the owner spoke some English.

I've told them what I wanted, and it took about ten minutes for the lady to come back.

She said: I have the one for 860 baht, but also one for 840. If I were you, I'd go for the one from xxx company for 960 baht.

I went back, bought the 440 baht tire, and came back, told them that my friend already bought a tire and they had the honor to change it. 

Charging a bit more, but I still saved more than 100 % for a <deleted>_y tire.

I didn't get upset, but I was very close to asking why they were charging more than 100 % more for the same type of tire I bought not too far away from the shop.

But I sat down and smiled. From time to time, a little joke about the mechanic's speed, and I had a fun time at the shop.

In the end I paid a fair price and I've learned a new lesson. 

Edited by teacherclaire

34 minutes ago, ericthai said:

teenage kids jump the line in the west too... what does how long you lived in Thailand have to do with anything? 

I was thinking the same when I've read his post. If a teenager does that, I only smile.

That's sometimes enough for them to stop and let me pay first. 

But when an adult does that, I ask him or her if she/he's blind. That works well. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, spidermike007 said:

Just a couple of amusing experiences. 

I recently went to a local mini mart. Bought six bottles of soda water. The old guy told me I had to pay 5 baht deposit, per bottle. I said ok. Went back with my bottles later, and wanted to buy some more. He quoted me a price that did not take into account my 30 baht deposit. I said I get the deposit back, and then pay you for the water, right? He said no, the deposit is one way! I would have been upset, if I was not laughing so hard. I said no, farang is one way, that way, toward the road, and never come back. I took my bottles and left. It was well worth it. Have been telling that story to my friends for weeks. We all love it!

The guys that deliver the drinking water in the large, white 20L containers charge 100 baht deposit for the bottles, but you can't get it back. Perhaps I misunderstood and it was actually a charge for the bottles.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:23 AM, jacko45k said:

And if you wanted to buy a good wine in Asda in the UK would you expect the 16 year old stacking the shelves, or Muslim lady on the check-out till, to be able to recommend any?

Really stupid comparison as thats a supermarket enviroment and you wouldnt expect the staff to know about every single item in  the Supermarket. 

Porsche dealership or any vehicle dealership you would and in an upmarket restaraunt you would expect there to be at least 1 wine waiter with a knowledge of the wines on the menu.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JensenZ said:

The guys that deliver the drinking water in the large, white 20L containers charge 100 baht deposit for the bottles, but you can't get it back. Perhaps I misunderstood and it was actually a charge for the bottles.

It depends. The people we use charge no deposit. 20 baht per bottle. Great deal. Excellent water. Find a company that is fair and reasonable. No "one way stores or companies"! 

19 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Really stupid comparison as thats a supermarket enviroment and you wouldnt expect the staff to know about every single item in  the Supermarket. 

Porsche dealership or any vehicle dealership you would and in an upmarket restaraunt you would expect there to be at least 1 wine waiter with a knowledge of the wines on the menu.

Not at all stupid.... your response is closer to that. We were not discussing Porche dealers either, that is a stupid comparison when discussing a waiter or waitress in a Thailand restaurant. (I can also suggest the long legged Bimbo would know little about the vehicles engine too!) I suggest the buyers need to know their wines in that type of environment. Perhaps the larger hotels can accommodate a wine knowledgeable waiter. 

• Confused 1