I am unlikely to do business with a place that _______.

moontang

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I asked about a 2300 baht 2011 Chianti they had on the list. I was told they were out of stock. I asked about a Barbaresco, at 2,600 baht. Again, out of stock. How about this Nebbiolo? Do you have the 2010, as stated on the list? No, we only have the 2015. OK, what is that wine like? Is it drinking well now? I do not know. Is there anyone here that is familiar with this wine list? No. Sorry sir.

Wait a minute. You have 300 bottles on this list, ranging from 1200 baht to 15,000 baht per bottle, and NOBODY who works here knows anything about the wines?

Par for course here I'm afraid and I thought you would have known that by now!

And any restaurant that knows nothing about their wine would be given a wide berth by me.

Having said that, if it was an Italian restaurant and had Italian folk in it, then they should have known more about their wine, however if they were Thai then you know full well that a glass of Montclair that has been allowed to go off, will be okay with their palates.

In my experience restaurants charge at least a 100% markup, if not 200% markup on the price of their wine, however I was extremely pleased to be able to buy an organic Chianti in an Italian restaurant nearby, for the grand sum of about 900 baht, which I thought was excellent, as was the wine! So that place will get another visit shortly.

No you are not a wine snob, and probably like me, you enjoy a nice glass of wine with your meal, and expect someone in the restaurant to know something about it!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

In my experience restaurants charge at least a 100% markup, if not 200% markup on the price of their wine

That would really depend on what wine they have. You can find some OK wholesale wine for around 600-700 baht per bottle, they usually just earn 200B if selling you that one for around 900B to take away. A bit better ones easily cost 1K baht wholesale, 5 glasses makes the cost 200B already.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

lol - I'd love to see the state of service in the west where people are being paid less than a $1 an hour with no benefits, I'm sure you would get all the a** kissing from the wine stewards and chefs at those establishments, sometimes you just can't make this **** up, it has to come from the mouths of the best complainers on the planet, the westerners..

When you pay premium money, you expect premium service. Sort of like when I bought a new Big Bike from dealer and they only had blank stares about the break in speeds and yes they understood the words but had no idea.

• Like 2

PowerBuy CM can be added too. They did not have 1 monitor with 4K for computers, but over 100 TV's on display. I figured that place only still exists because they profit of people paying big interests and monthly terms.

Told me that I could buy it and it be delivered in a week, like online, while it costs 500B more than Lazada shops and those deliver in 2 days. That same shop required me having some passport or ID card to buy a fridge a few years ago....

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I am considering not to frequent a certain website that after every "upgrade" can

not get their arrow back up.

A lot of things in life are give and take,we have to take the adds and we are given great upgrades!

I can laugh off all the stupid little things that come with living here, however  I will not put up with shop assistants who have no courtesy and come across as rude. My Thai friend who is usually with me when I venture out refers to it as having a bad mouth,  and we depart immediately. My friend has a memory like an Elephant and we never go back to any place where this has happened.

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Unlike you, I was 24 years old at that time, and by renting the 2K apartment I met lots of students who just wanted some SangSom.

I'm happy for you. The point of my thread was that many westerners feel their own country's standards should be in place to serve them better. I disagree saying that wages need to be improved for standards to increase, jus like it does in every country. The number of corrupt police in the west years ago made Thailand look like rookies in that regard, and it wasn't until wages were increased and better supervisory tactics were utilized did corruption drop off (its never been eliminated). It's the same story with every industry. Pay a decent wage (combined with efficient training) and the quality of the worker can improved immensely. There's a lot of folk who are getting rich here on the backs of many..

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I'm happy for you. The point of my thread was that many westerners feel their own country's standards should be in place to serve them better. I disagree saying that wages need to be improved for standards to increase, jus like it does in every country. The number of corrupt police in the west years ago made Thailand look like rookies in that regard, and it wasn't until wages were increased and better supervisory tactics were utilized did corruption drop off (its never been eliminated). It's the same story with every industry. Pay a decent wage (combined with efficient training) and the quality of the worker can improved immensely. There's a lot of folk who are getting rich here on the backs of many..

Weird post.

Of course it could be because of my limited reading comprehension.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I recently went to a local mini mart. Bought six bottles of soda water.

I buy soda water from the same distributor that sells cases of beer and take a case of empties with me to get a new case of sodas. Pretty sure they said the arrangement was called 'one way'.....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You are totally wrong there. First of all you have to compare it to costs and secondly you can't even find people working for less than 15-20K baht a month,

I can find many working for min wage, some even less.

They can only dream to be earning 15k a month.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You simply talk rubbish, and that it is your opinion says much about you in fact. You are comparing apples with pears too.

You assume a lot, your basics and intel is wrong and off too. I actually lived on 15K for almost a year in my 3rd year in Thailand, between jobs and business. It was a very nice life compared to minimum wage in various European countries I lived too. Could rent an nice apartment for 2K a month, go to the movies every wednesdays, still eat out all the time and have left for some entertainment too.

There is few Thais i feel sorry for, in most cases they are lazy to improve their life and job situation themselves.

Totally agree with your last sentence.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, allane said:

any place that first serves a Thai customer who has jumped the queue and stepped in front of me, solely on the basis that he is Thai and I am not.  It happened to me yesterday, with a teenage kid who by definition has not lived in Thailand as long as I have. I have lived here for 25 years. 

While it's true this happens...it's not because they are Thai...it's because they are too timid to say anything to a customer as they are raised to be subservient when working. If you jumped the queue they would also serve you but the Thai moto driver behind you might pull out a machete.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, spidermike007 said:

I asked about a 2300 baht 2011 Chianti they had on the list. I asked about a Barbaresco, at 2,600 baht. 

300 bottles on this list, ranging from 1200 baht to 15,000 baht per bottle.

I know some on here will knock me for this, and call me a wine snob. 

Hardly a wine snob, you were only asking about all their cheap stuff.

Edited by Natai Beach