Are old home wifi routers useless junk?

TooBigToFit

We've changed our wifi provider a couple times for different reasons and we always end up with one or two wifi router boxes with the little antennae to stuff into a box and hide away. The new company, whatever it is TOT, AIS or some other, always has us getting a new set. Is there anything that can be done with these old routers? Would someone at Zeer or a computer shop buy them? Do you have to use a different router each time you change a provider?

Thanks for the responses. The most recent ones I have are just a year or so old from TOT. It too bad there must be a lot of these piling up around. I know in my wife's village they were changing the Internet provider anytime there was a new promotion or a faster provider. It seems whenever a company, TOT, AIS, 3BB or whoever, increases their speed or bandwith or some aspect, they come to change the routers. What a waste.

CAT always put asset tags/ID on anything they supply. Sometimes they want them back, sometimes they don't. I have a very expensive VoIP gateway sitting in a drawer for five years waiting for them to come collect it. The other providers don't care in my experience. It's usually cheap garbage. Anything they supply with a connection goes straight into a box and filed in the 'useless khrap' cupboard anyway as we use our own custom built pfSense gates. I think there are something like 20 or 30 old routers and GPON units uncollected at this time.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 2

My TOT landline stopped working a year ago, TOT blamed my building, building blamed TOT. Despite no service, I kept getting a bill every month with a phone rental charge.  Account was in my former gf's name and only she could close it. Unfortunately, she lives in Koh Samui and I'm in Bangkok.  She finally visited a few weeks ago so we went to the local TOT office to close the account. I brought along the old phone.  TOT insisted we pay the outstanding phone rental balance; about B800.  If it had been only me, I would have told them to go fish but she didn't want trouble with them in the future so no choice but to pay. When I tried to give the old phone back, they wouldn't take it.  

"Old style, not use now"    B800 for a hunk of junk.

• Sad 1