Thailand falls in global English Proficiency Index for fourth consecutive year

webfact

""Education First described the “very low proficiency” ranking as those countries which can introduce oneself simply (name, age, country /regions of origin), understand simple signs and give basic directions to a foreign visitor."

This seem a very high standard, far higher than most Thais can manage.  "Hey You" is the best that most seem to aspire to.

2 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Soon, no more English spoken but at school, they will be obliged to learn Mandarine to better understand their brothers and sisters.

Thais are worse at Mandarin than English, as I have foudn in my school. They much prefer to learn English. Well, it IS an english program lol. And most prefer their english classes to Thai language classes. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robin said:

""Education First described the “very low proficiency” ranking as those countries which can introduce oneself simply (name, age, country /regions of origin), understand simple signs and give basic directions to a foreign visitor."

This seem a very high standard, far higher than most Thais can manage.  "Hey You" is the best that most seem to aspire to.

Similar to the average farang proficiency in Thai then.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I spend 25% of my working time teaching, the rest is activities, administration and testing. Testing every week, quarter, mid-term, and semester. And very important to make sure that each student has at least a 60% score. No surprise these results.

Absolutely 100% agree!Absolutely 100% agree!

Let’s not forget the hiring of the NNE, because they cost less and are ... well Near Native English(?) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pattayadude said:

some questions never have an answer just like "the chicken or the egg first?" debate.

is english more important language or Thai and why. You can debate these until the cows come back. Its political and very controversial

Live and let live...

'I am the best' attitude is disgusting... to put it mildly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Thai is spoken in Thailand   English is the  worldwide language of business,communications,technology,medicine, aviation etc etc etc

Let's just try to narrow it down a little bit...

How's the Thai proficiency in the aliens living in Thailand for decades (most married to Thai spouses?

(I've read some where where aliens even said "i don't care about the local people, language, etc., living in Thailand!)

• Confused 3

Back in the 80s when I was trying to decide between Thailand and Philippines for my new home I chose Thailand because English was less well known there and I wanted to learn a new language. Keep going the way you are Thailand, I made the right choice. You don't need English to plant & harvest rice. 

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Not surprised, they are not really interested outside the tourist areas.

They should hire a lot of English teachers, a lot, and somebody that really can speak English and not the English teacher I spoke to in SiSaket many years ago, I didn't understand one word she was saying (Thai) and I felt sorry for her and her students. 

Singapore is doing very well in this regard.

Singapore, that speaks English, is doing well teaching English? I must be missing something.

Edited by mike1967
Spelling error

15 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I spend 25% of my working time teaching, the rest is activities, administration and testing. Testing every week, quarter, mid-term, and semester. And very important to make sure that each student has at least a 60% score. No surprise these results.

No need to attend English class; they can't fail. 

No lost faces, no problem. Mai Phen Rai. 

Rather than having a go at Thai's not speaking English in their own country we should be talking about farangs living in Thailand not speaking Thai, I know a guy who has been here 17 years the amount of Thai he knows you could put it on the back of a postage stamp,

Many I know have Thai families and still dont speak Thai, How lazy is that?

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

a funny thread.

A whole bunch of farangs who have lived here for years who cant string a simple sentence together, complaining about Thais who have never been and have no interest in going to England and not being able to speak English.

And the endless advice on what the Thais should do without seeing the irony. ????

Much more useful for an expat to be able to speak the language where he lives than for Thais to speak a language they will never use. But it easier for them to complain on a forum than actually bothering to learn even basic polite Thai.

complaining about Thais who have never been and have no interest in going to England and not being able to speak English.

Why would somebody want to go to England? 

To understand binge drinking, or how to drink beer out of a plastic cup?

Or perhaps because they can't give their customers glasses ,or bottles because they'd hit each other with them?

BTW, there are plenty of other English speaking countries.

It's a hoax that England "owns "the language English. 

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1