Thailand to sign vaccine procurement deal with AstraZeneca on Friday

webfact

Thailand to sign vaccine procurement deal with AstraZeneca on Friday

By The Nation

800_8e3745f9f9a6feb.jpg?v=1606290871

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will oversee the signing of a reservation and procurement deal for Covid-19 vaccine between Thailand and AstraZeneca, a British–Swedish pharmaceutical company, on Friday, said deputy government's spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul.

The signing ceremony will be held at Government House. This follows the Cabinet’s agreement to set aside more than Bt6 billion for the procurement of vaccines.

She added that Thailand expects to receive the vaccine mid next year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398557

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-25

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

What happened to the vaccine that Thailand was racing top produce? 

What the one they can't afford the precursors for that they have only been testing on macaques? That one?

And the fact that the were late out the gate and are now so far down the list for moderna and Pfizer vaccines? So now they have to scramble for another option and go for the astra-zeneca Oxford vaccine that they haven't even signed yet, that most countries have had pre ordered for months...lol 

Their monkey vaccine will probably be at least as good as the cures for HIV and cancer they developed. 

Edited by starky
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

I believe Thailand are supposed to be setting up a manufacturing facility for this same vaccine so it can be distributed to the rest of the region and not only be manufactured back in Europe.

I'll believe that when I see it.

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

only due to the cost unfortunately..

It will be interesting to see if there is a farang price and a Thai price for the vaccine. According to one article I read, cost is about 3 GBP.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I would certainly hope it would be dual priced, those too cheap could always return to their homeland to get it for free..

I don't follow your logic, assuming there is any. Is it not in Thailand's interest to ensure as many people as possible are vaccinated when doses become available?

Let's say the cost to a Thai ( subsidized ) is 200 baht, and to a farang it's 10,000 baht. Still comfortable with that?

I had a flu shot recently, 800 baht with a totally unnecessary doctor's consultation thrown in. That's OK., cost to a Thai I would not know. Having said that, if you are prepared to accept any price set, let me sell you my Vios, a bargain at 1.5 million baht.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She added that Thailand expects to receive the vaccine mid next year.

Mid next year is a bit late isn't it. And then in quantities that are not enough to vaccine everybody in the country ? So when may I expect as a farang, but with a high probability of getting very seriously sick - if not dying right away if I believe what is being published - once I might catch this virus ? For example as a prerequisite to be allowed to travel abroad ?

27 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Mid next year is a bit late isn't it. And then in quantities that are not enough to vaccine everybody in the country ? So when may I expect as a farang, but with a high probability of getting very seriously sick - if not dying right away if I believe what is being published - once I might catch this virus ? For example as a prerequisite to be allowed to travel abroad ?

It depends on your own lifestyle. If you are obese, a smoker and/or a heavy drinker beyond age 70, your immune system is not getting much help from you.

OTOH, older people who exercise regularly, eat healthy, don't smoke and limit their alcohol intake are going to have a much better shot at survival.

My guess is every country will require either proof of vaccination or quarantine for any arrivals.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

I believe Thailand are supposed to be setting up a manufacturing facility for this same vaccine so it can be distributed to the rest of the region and not only be manufactured back in Europe.

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

Better believe it.  Thailand has world class industrial laboratories that, given the right directions, can manufacture most medicines.

18 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Produce for others after acquiring the recipe.

The only thing Thailand can produce in quantity are Generals, commanders and BS.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's always first in best dressed. Those countries that have signed up early are expecting access to Astra Zenica vaccines early 2021 to begin the vaccine program, but here Thailand hasn't even signed up, so maybe mid to late 2021 will have access.. 

And surely Thailand won't allow vaccinated tourists in if their own population hasn't rcd it yet.. A further unnecessary delay in kick-starting their lost tourism industry.. 

1 hour ago, owenm said:

It's always first in best dressed. Those countries that have signed up early are expecting access to Astra Zenica vaccines early 2021 to begin the vaccine program, but here Thailand hasn't even signed up, so maybe mid to late 2021 will have access.. 

It's not just a matter of signing-up, the signatory country has to pre-pay to be on the list. 

For example, the US paid $2 billion to start the development process at 5 big pharma companies, of which the money would be counted towards vaccine purchases.

Thailand, probably zero.  Their generals and elites can fly to get their shots elsewhere.

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It depends on your own lifestyle. If you are obese, a smoker and/or a heavy drinker beyond age 70, your immune system is not getting much help from you.

OTOH, older people who exercise regularly, eat healthy, don't smoke and limit their alcohol intake are going to have a much better shot at survival.

I stopped smoking 17 years ago and I do not drink anymore (maybe one single sip of beer/wine in a month or so) although I would actually like to – but my body says No. I am well below 70. OK, I carry quite a bit more weight than I should. I love to eat. The full monty from fast food up to Michelin 3 star.

My prostate gland had to be completely removed (using a da Vinci robot in a 7.5 hour surgery) because of cancer with Gleason Score 8 which means it is a highly aggressive cancer. But since more than 10 years I do not show signs of any biochemical relapse. Statistically speaking I should have died already a long time ago, but I do not. So far no worries (yet).

But what would most probably kill me immediately in case of a COVID infection is my Cardiomyopathy. My heart shows but a bit more than 20% performance (Ejection Fraction) with the trend pointing downwards even with the maximum dose of applicable medicaments. This will kill me anyway in the not so distant future (I think), but I feel no need to rush.

So all in all that’s what I call a precondition to get vaccinated and I have not even listed some other conditions (like Diabetes 2, Sleep Apnoe etc. etc.).

Edited by moogradod