Phuket ranks 5th cheapest in Asia for international school prices

snoop1130

Phuket ranks 5th cheapest in Asia for international school prices

By The Phuket News

1606296605_1-org.jpg

Phuket ranked fifth cheapest in Asia for international school fees (click image to enlarge). Source: www.international-schools-database.com

PHUKET:-- New research of international school prices worldwide has ranked Phuket as the fifth cheapest location in Asia, though due to high-end schools in China, Asia has been ranked as the most expensive region in the world for international school fees for a full year.

The new findings were released by the International Schools Database, which analysed the worldwide price data from 73 cities in 50 countries.

The aim of the database is to “allow parents to find, research and compare international schools in cities across five continents”.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-ranks-5th-cheapest-in-asia-for-international-school-prices-78097.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-11-25

You are comparing Phuket, a small island with very few people and a relatively low cost of living with mostly national capitals and megacities of 10 million people which have among the highest costs of living in the world. . Of course in such a group, Phuket will come out relatively cheap.  Why not compare Phuket with other small tourist islands of Asia, like Okinawa?  Penang, which you have, is a reasonable comparison. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Keat said:

You are comparing Phuket, a small island with very few people and a relatively low cost of living with mostly national capitals and megacities of 10 million people which have among the highest costs of living in the world. . Of course in such a group, Phuket will come out relatively cheap.  Why not compare Phuket with other small tourist islands of Asia, like Okinawa?  Penang, which you have, is a reasonable comparison. 

You are correct. Data, statistics and "news" can be manipulated to suit any agenda.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Keat said:

Or perhaps somewhere like Pattaya.  Oh wait......

I'd like to know how this was calculated and what they are considering an International School.

My guess is that they are using the various international primary schools which in many cases shouldn't be included in my opinion.

Headstart, KIS, BCIS are the mid-level in Phuket and are around $13,000 per year. UWC and BIS are around double this, Oak Meadow a little cheaper.

The graph is incomprehensible without a key but I would think anyone in Phuket with kids at a proper International School would dispute the $8500 average fee.

EDIT: I've just taken a look at the website the source data comes from and my thoughts are correct. If you're looking for schools for a seven-year-old then the figures might be accurate. If you're looking for a 14 year old they'd be near enough double.

Edited by madmitch

FYI:
"“To calculate the prices of international schools, we used the whole price of a full term for one 6-year old child, excluding once-off costs such as enrollment fees, application fees, etc and not including free schools."

whatever prices are listed , increase them 50-75% for a 14 year old, the last 2 years another 10%

UWC and BIS -- last 2 years are around $24,-25,000 ( not including endowment fee or application fee) 

Edited by zzzzz