Paying BiB to regularly check on property.

Has anyone priced this recently?  What are the options.  Basically, I would like the BiB to stop by my condo at regular intervals, like weekly or twice a month, sign the card and leave.  I know this was available to CM businesses...so not sure they do it for condos, and not sure they do it in the Big Mango or how much it costs.  Thanks for your input.

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

Way back in 2000, we paid the village police to come check our house located off the beaten track in an Udon village.  We paid 500 Baht per month.  They'd drive up to the closed gate, sign the booklet in the mailbox and leave.  After a few months, we didn't see any benefit, so stopped.  I suppose the police presence on a regular basis might be a deterrent......but a good home security system (much more available now than then) would probably be more cost effective.  Just food for thought.

Was that for a weekly visit? 

It all a scam. They shake down businesses and skim money from naive foreigners to who think they actually do something. But then they do have to get money to pay back the loans they took out to bribe their way up the ladder. Save your money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The going rate in Pattaya used to be 2,000 Baht a month for a daily visit, with the cop signing a book kept in a box on your wall outside so you could check that he'd been there. That was 10 years ago, though, I live in a gated village now with its own security so no longer need the cop to come and check on my gaff. The price might have increased, I've no idea.

• Haha 2

I believe nearly every condo/business does this in Bangkok already, if you look closely there is normally a 'police box' somewhere they come and collect on a monthly basis. I am sure the management company of your block know how to do this if they are not already doing it. I presume you dont want them to personally come to your individual unit.

1000 a month for a nightly visit in Nonthaburi, 1500 a month for dog food for our two muts.  18 cameras, a small fortune. Family on site get free board and lodging. Sorted.  Who told me Thailand was a cheap place to retire ?

• Haha 2

The going rate for security on our house whilst we're away is a good feed for my wife's uncle and his family when we return. They haven't let us down yet.

I certainly wouldn't pay a policeman to do the job he's supposed to be doing anyway.

• Like 1

In our previous house, we used to have them come by every day in the early hours to sign the book in our letterbox. We didn't have any problems with ka-moi, whether or not that's down to the police presence I'll never know. The big advantage was that we got to know our local coppers and when we had problems with noise in the vicinity from a tin shack village of builders, they sorted it instantly. I forget how much we paid them, but it wasn't a lot.

• Like 1

Paid 1000 bht a month in samui for twice a day check and sign book . When I called them about something they came in 5 minutes and I think having their box outside a property tells criminals to stay away , because if something happens while you are paying the bib then they will lose out if you cancel it . Worth it if you ask me .

• Like 2

So the smart burglar ,looks at the book, OK he comes around everyday

at 3.00, Tomorrow I will be there at 1.00 and if owners are out,job done.

I suppose all those 1000 Baht they collect go into the fund for the New Years

policeman's ball.????

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

Ditto. 1000 baht/month .. they come twice a day like clockwork ... Sign the book and leave. Give them something for Songkran and New Year. They are appreciative and look after us well. Money well spent in my opinion. That said, I do have cameras and an alarm system self installed. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the numerous helpful replies.  I am having trouble with a mercenary lady.  She kind of won't go away.  I worked for 2.5 years as the only farang in a 600 unit building, to build trust and respect.  I am the sole owner of the condo.  It seems like she is trying to extort me.  I met her last January (Sukhumvit) and we had some good moments, but it became obvious that it wasn't going to work.  Go ahead, call me stupid...but she was trying to break in with a pair of scissors..did a lot of damage to my door.  I got security, and they called BiB.  She practically had a standoff and was combative as Hell.  She gave two rookie cops all they could handle..and they were so careful not to hurt her.  They took her down to the lobby, and said you talk here or we go to police station.  Four days later, same..I grabbed my important papers and did a runner..She is in the top five craziest I have ever known.  In my culture, we solve matters without the police.  So, that is why I am asking about police checks (which is different than having someone arrested).  22 years of coming here, and this is my worst situation..I can stay away indefinitely, but am concerned for her welfare, as well as my rights as a property owner.  

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So the smart burglar ,looks at the book, OK he comes around everyday

at 3.00, Tomorrow I will be there at 1.00 and if owners are out,job done.

I suppose all those 1000 Baht they collect go into the fund for the New Years

policeman's ball.????

regards Worgeordie

Actually I have CCTV and I have seen burglars twice in the last 7 years on it. They turn down my street, look in my yard, look at the red box and move down and steal a bicycle from the neighbors yard. They really don't like the red box.

• Haha 1

Agree with most positive posts so far, wouldn't stop theft for example, but for sure the response would be far more urgent. Also handy for neighborhood issues eg idiots burning household rubbish.

Also good for getting to know local BIB. Missus has at times had to ring the boss when they slacken off occasionally, immediate response, knowing it effects the tea money flow. 

May vary from area to area, in this case a business residence on outskirts of a regional city.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smccolley said:

Actually I have CCTV and I have seen burglars twice in the last 7 years on it. They turn down my street, look in my yard, look at the red box and move down and steal a bicycle from the neighbors yard. They really don't like the red box.

I have lived in the same house 30 years, never seen a burglar ,don't have a red box......

regards worgeordie

13 hours ago, moontang said:

Four days later, same..I grabbed my important papers and did a runner..She is in the top five craziest I have ever known.  In my culture, we solve matters without the police.  So, that is why I am asking about police checks (which is different than having someone arrested).  22 years of coming here, and this is my worst situation..I can stay away indefinitely, but am concerned for her welfare, as well as my rights as a property owner.  

Sounds like you have some great friends. I'd recommend a course in behavioural science. Take care, look after yourself old boy.

19 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Sounds like you have some great friends. I'd recommend a course in behavioural science. Take care, look after yourself old boy.

Let me take an educated guess...you, nor your partner, never have trouble with crazy girls?