What do you like?

Meat Pie 47

I really like Thai food, but I like other nationalities' food specialties, as well. I like Mexican, but it doesn't seem to be available here in Nakhon Sawan. The Mex restaurants I found in Bangkok seemed a little pricey. I know very little about Italian food except for pasta, which I love in various forms. German food is good. I haven't been there for many years, but my memory is there's a beer garden across the street from the entrance to Soi Cowboy from Soi 18 which has excellent German food. Next to the entrance from Soi 18 to Soi Cowboy is a Dutch restaurant which has a wonderful breakfast -- or did have. We left Bangkok over ten years ago, so I probably shouldn't be mentioning the restaurants I used to know. I've liked Indian food and Turkish food, too, but I could eat Phat Bai Grapao Mu or Gai every  day.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Oddly enough my wife's Thai cooking and quite happy to eat her rice and masaman breakfast lunch and tea.

You're lucky. My wife won't touch Masseman curry. Makes it but won't eat it. Its wall to wall Tam Mahoon (Issan somtam) for her served with Pla Ra or anything else that stinks plus the obligatory pile of weeds from the garden. All with a bucketful of chillis of course. We never eat the same food at home. I love all the variations of Thai curries. I have learned not to like any fish in Thailand barring shrimp.

Otherwise, I'm generally gregarious about food. I don't see the different styles of food as better or worse, just different. If I were pushed I would probably say Italian pasta. I visit a certain restaurant in Pattaya about twice per week and always order penne amatriciana. I'm addicted.

I still like a dose of English food though. Recently discovered a source of reasonably priced middle cut bacon and freshly baked baps. Made myself a bacon bap with ketchup today for breakfast. Proper food. Went back earlier for more baps and she offered me a sausage roll straight out of the oven. How could I refuse? Had already spotted a guy across the road barbecuing a whole pig so called in on him and tapped him up for some freshly carved pork and all the Thai sauces plus extra crackling. 100 baht. I've never eaten so well in my life as I do here.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

@Lacessit There was absolutely no need to insult his wife's cooking skills or lack thereof, I eat mainly Western food & my Mrs loves many Western dishes as well, loves to find foods from different countries and source the ingredients to practice making them, just because we live here doesn't make it obligatory to eat the food.

He just wrote :

Perhaps the problem is your Thai wife does not know how to cook Thai food.

I don't think it is insulting the wife. It is?

1 hour ago, polpott said:

You're lucky. My wife won't touch Masseman curry. Makes it but won't eat it. Its wall to wall Tam Mahoon (Issan somtam) for her served with Pla Ra or anything else that stinks plus the obligatory pile of weeds from the garden. All with a bucketful of chillis of course. We never eat the same food at home. I love all the variations of Thai curries. I have learned not to like any fish in Thailand barring shrimp.

Otherwise, I'm generally gregarious about food. I don't see the different styles of food as better or worse, just different. If I were pushed I would probably say Italian pasta. I visit a certain restaurant in Pattaya about twice per week and always order penne amatriciana. I'm addicted.

I still like a dose of English food though. Recently discovered a source of reasonably priced middle cut bacon and freshly baked baps. Made myself a bacon bap with ketchup today for breakfast. Proper food. Went back earlier for more baps and she offered me a sausage roll straight out of the oven. How could I refuse? Had already spotted a guy across the road barbecuing a whole pig so called in on him and tapped him up for some freshly carved pork and all the Thai sauces plus extra crackling. 100 baht. I've never eaten so well in my life as I do here.

You make a very good point.

Many people confuse royal Thai cuisine with the selection of gristle, fish innards and weeds so beloved by a great deal of Thai people.

Personally I very much enjoy the former but not the latter lol.

In general I like most cuisines , perhaps eastern Mediterranean meze would be top of my dinner choices.

35 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

You make a very good point.

Many people confuse royal Thai cuisine with the selection of gristle, fish innards and weeds so beloved by a great deal of Thai people.

Personally I very much enjoy the former but not the latter lol.

In general I like most cuisines , perhaps eastern Mediterranean meze would be top of my dinner choices.

I haven't had a Meze for far to long, that is just sublime.

I can eat Thai every day ( except for somtam and a couple of other things ) but my real love is Indian food ( brought up near Bradford ????).

Mexican is good occasionally.

Worked in Japan a few times and every lunchtime and evening was treated to a great meal whether in a nice restaurant or a tiny bar was always amazed at the variation.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

British food; 5 minutes to prepare, stuff it in the oven while you have a drink. 

Go to sleep.

Wake up to smoke alarm.

Scrape food into bin.

Buy take-away.  ????

You forgot the grey cabbage. I have never understood why Brits think green cabbage and beans are not supposed to stay that way after cooking.

13 hours ago, polpott said:

or anything else that stinks plus the obligatory pile of weeds from the garden. All with a bucketful of chillis of course.

55 5 my missus is the same, although in lockdown she was taking food from the garden I'd never seen her take before, cut young banana trees sliced down the middle, new mango tree leaves, boiled Quite tasty actually,  only on rare occasions now will I eat Thai food, after so many years here i just got bored with Thai food. My favorite food is still cheddar cheese & Branston pickle sandwich on rye, almost every day for lunch. I also love Indian food, i have sourced Indian curry pastes, only need a couple of teaspoons per meal.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 7:17 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Just like to find out if you

guys like international food (eg Italian, Greek,German,Mexican,Chinese,Vietnamese,

Indian, and of course many others.)

I have found out later in life that the foods we eat/crave are usually bad for us and affect our health over the long term, i.e. our bodies were not not designed to take refined carbs, that said, I have a european background so anything Greek or Italian goes down well, but it has to be modified, e.g. brown instead of white, and the kids have learned that white breads, pasta and rice are out for their long term health benefits, they understand why the world has an obesity problem and why people end up with all sorts of diseases such as diabetes, and the biggest killer being heart attacks, so as the old saying goes, you are what you eat.

The above said, noting that 2 thirds of our taste bud receptors on our tongues like things sweet, it is a hard balancing act staying away from all the foods we want to eat, but know they are bad for us and pour on the kilo's very easily, so life is hard for those of us who try to keep a balance on it for longevity of it and good health.

I love Yemista, Greek (stuffed peppers and tomatoes) with a glass or two of red.

yemista tomato

Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna) can feel a little heavy if you can't stop at one piece like me, or you can go for Moussaka which has eggplant in it below the Pastitsio picture

overhead shot of pastitsio in a casserole dish using a spatula to take out a slice

Moussaka with eggplant and a Greek salad, with a glass of red of course

Moussaka

I am very fortunate that my Thai wife of 14 years is a great cook, self taught and better than most restaurants we have been served at as she uses good oils and ingredients, suffice to say we rarely dine out because the food at home is made with love and tastes that way.

Thai food, not for me, been there, done that, Thai women, yes please, that is a delicacy, moving right along, the occasional homemade gourmet pizza or brown penne arrabiata on one of my cheat days, yes please.

How to make gourmet pizza at home - Seasons and Suppers

Penne Arrabiata with a glass of red

Penne Arrabiata Recipe | HelloFresh

All this talk of food is making me hungry, time for some grilled salmon with steamed veggies, boring I know, but the right amount of carbs for lunch to keep me going until tonights Greek salad ????

Bon appetit or as we say in Greek, Kali orexi  ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

I've lived and traveled in many countries and have always adapted quickly to the local cuisine. And I loved them all. Chinese, Indian, Arabic Turkish. Bring it on and I'll scoff it!

But if I was to choose one country where I enjoyed the food more than any other it has to be Saudi Arabia. The variety there is just amazing.

Food variety is one the aspects that I do miss living, as I do in rural Issan. Madam Moon is a great cook and I enjoy everything that comes out of the kitchen. But I do often yearn for some great Indian or Arabic food.

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thai food, not for me, been there, done that, Thai women, yes please, that is a delicacy, moving right along, the occasional homemade gourmet pizza or brown penne arrabiata on one of my cheat days, yes please.

????

Given the statement concerning Thai women, I would have thought penne puttanesca would have been on your favored food list.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, brianthainess said:

55 5 my missus is the same, although in lockdown she was taking food from the garden I'd never seen her take before, cut young banana trees sliced down the middle, new mango tree leaves, boiled Quite tasty actually,  only on rare occasions now will I eat Thai food, after so many years here i just got bored with Thai food. My favorite food is still cheddar cheese & Branston pickle sandwich on rye, almost every day for lunch. I also love Indian food, i have sourced Indian curry pastes, only need a couple of teaspoons per meal.

For everything Indian Google ‘ Zing Street ‘

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThaiWai said:

Agreed but at least they have bread and know what sandwich is.

I get a very good sandwich at the Hungry Nest in Chiang Rai, on Jetyod Road just down from the clock tower. Along with a delicious mango smoothie, my favorite Sunday lunch. Perhaps you need to get out more.

One of the reasons I enjoy living in Bangkok is the fantastic wealth and choice of food options. 

It makes it impossible to get bored of eating, only impossible to make a choice sometimes !

Food at home: Wife is an excellent cook and she loves cooking. I think I am a very good cook, but don’t take such enjoyment. 

My Wife can open a Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver cookbook and recreate it perfectly. If I’m honest my Wife’s Western cooking is better than her Thai, I think its because she follows an excellent set of instructions rather than cook from memory. 

Her Beef Wellington is awesome. A steak and ale pie my Wife recently made is better than any I’ve ever had.

I make a Roast Pork Belly and it takes me a couple of days - first slow cooking, then cooling and pressing, then reducing the gravy over 24hrs, the blasting it in the oven so the skin crisps up. Amazing fluffy roasts. But, it takes a lot of time and a lot of attention to achieve the level of perfection I want. 

The same when I cook Indian food - just to cook my Butter chicken it takes 4 hours or so and then the issue I have is that I can’t find good enough fresh tomatoes. The exact same method and recipe in the UK is much better simply because the raw ingredient, tomatoes are much much better in the UK. 

Eating out is incredible in Bangkok: From places such as El Mercado to the Boat Noodles down the road. 

More and more Thai’s are getting the message that its not just the flavour but quality of meat, thus the Wagyu boat noodles down the road for 150 baht are also incredible.

One thing has always stood out to me: Good quality food is good quality food in any country. 

I hate Tofu, its bland, boring, tasteless. Why is it so much better in Japan to the point that I find it enjoyable there !

Good quality, fresh ingredients can’t be beaten and its easy to tell when someone has taken a shortcut and thrown in a load of MSG - thats perhaps why Chinese food is some of my least favourite. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the reasons I enjoy living in Bangkok is the fantastic wealth and choice of food options. 

It makes it impossible to get bored of eating, only impossible to make a choice sometimes !

Food at home: Wife is an excellent cook and she loves cooking. I think I am a very good cook, but don’t take such enjoyment. 

My Wife can open a Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver cookbook and recreate it perfectly. If I’m honest my Wife’s Western cooking is better than her Thai, I think its because she follows an excellent set of instructions rather than cook from memory. 

Her Beef Wellington is awesome. A steak and ale pie my Wife recently made is better than any I’ve ever had.

I make a Roast Pork Belly and it takes me a couple of days - first slow cooking, then cooling and pressing, then reducing the gravy over 24hrs, the blasting it in the oven so the skin crisps up. Amazing fluffy roasts. But, it takes a lot of time and a lot of attention to achieve the level of perfection I want. 

The same when I cook Indian food - just to cook my Butter chicken it takes 4 hours or so and then the issue I have is that I can’t find good enough fresh tomatoes. The exact same method and recipe in the UK is much better simply because the raw ingredient, tomatoes are much much better in the UK. 

Eating out is incredible in Bangkok: From places such as El Mercado to the Boat Noodles down the road. 

More and more Thai’s are getting the message that its not just the flavour but quality of meat, thus the Wagyu boat noodles down the road for 150 baht are also incredible.

One thing has always stood out to me: Good quality food is good quality food in any country. 

I hate Tofu, its bland, boring, tasteless. Why is it so much better in Japan to the point that I find it enjoyable there !

Good quality, fresh ingredients can’t be beaten and its easy to tell when someone has taken a shortcut and thrown in a load of MSG - thats perhaps why Chinese food is some of my least favourite. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree but not with the Chinese food, Thai food has more MSG than any other food

On 11/29/2020 at 7:22 PM, Lacessit said:

I get a very good sandwich at the Hungry Nest in Chiang Rai, on Jetyod Road just down from the clock tower. Along with a delicious mango smoothie, my favorite Sunday lunch. Perhaps you need to get out more.

In Viet Nam I can get a sandwich on any street corner with a fresh roll made hours before at most. To get yours I would have to two planes and a 30 minute tuk tuk. Perhaps you should speak for yourself.