Building an Affordable swimming pool in Thailand

CNX69

• 2 months later...

Just oversaw the construction of a 5x12m pool (depths .8 to 1.6) with associated pump room built and shower wall for 1M baht at the villa I'm renting in Samui. Finish was with PebbleTec. Prices on Samui may be a bit more than the mainland or way up north. Btw the initial quotes received to build this pool were 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, and 2.2M. Both companies at the lower end were willing to do for 1M. Will be able to use the pool in two days. Just giving you another price point.

On 11/26/2021 at 9:21 PM, Silencer said:

Just oversaw the construction of a 5x12m pool (depths .8 to 1.6) with associated pump room built and shower wall for 1M baht at the villa I'm renting in Samui. Finish was with PebbleTec. Prices on Samui may be a bit more than the mainland or way up north. Btw the initial quotes received to build this pool were 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.8, and 2.2M. Both companies at the lower end were willing to do for 1M. Will be able to use the pool in two days. Just giving you another price point.

Depending on whether it was overflow or skimmer & the quality of equipment, 1.5 - 1.8 M would be a fair price on the mainland. Except Phuket where they tend to be dearer!  

On 11/26/2021 at 9:21 PM, Silencer said:

I am on Phuket & I reckon it could be done here for no more than 1.2m including salt chlorinator

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Small point to watch out for.

Many builders will quote for waterproof cement and grout BUT they use basic stuff. Not waterproof. You will be re-grouting in a few years.

Not such a problem these days as the grout comes with "swimming pools" all over the container. The main reason for grout failing quickly is due to poor water balance and if it is a hand dosed chlorine pool, the 90% Tri-Chlor used is very acidic! 

15 hours ago, Bagwain said:

Depending on whether it was overflow or skimmer & the quality of equipment, 1.5 - 1.8 M would be a fair price on the mainland.

What are the other major variances that affect the prices other than overflow vs skimmer and tile vs PebbleCrete/PebbleTec?

The quality of the pump, water treatment equipment, shed, deck? An option of a waterfall, shower?

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Many builders will quote for waterproof cement and grout BUT they use basic stuff. Not waterproof. You will be re-grouting in a few years.

No waterproof cement (but the cheapest available), no vertical bars in the walls (but cinder blocks), no special tiles for pool (but for kitchen) made 16 years ago by the village bricklayers (seeing the pool for the first time in their life - when they finished it) following my ingenious design and advice of backyard experience.  

And the Hi-Tech equipment from Global House. All of that for 10% of the figures above. 

No re-grouting so far, daily in operation. 

43 minutes ago, Saanim said:

made 16 years ago by the village bricklayers

Hmm, interesting.

The more I look into the Thai swimming pool market, the more convinced I become that it's a high margin, very limited competition therefore financially lucrative for a limited number of players field.

Even though the local pool prices considered to be very cheap by the western standards, they're still blown out of proportion as compared to the cost of building a house here (by established, permitted and paying taxes companies).

2 hours ago, unheard said:

Hmm, interesting.

The more I look into the Thai swimming pool market, the more convinced I become that it's a high margin, very limited competition therefore financially lucrative for a limited number of players field.

Even though the local pool prices considered to be very cheap by the western standards, they're still blown out of proportion as compared to the cost of building a house here (by established, permitted and paying taxes companies).

Well look at opening a business, hiring staff, buying equipment, etc etc. By the way there are many companies focusing on building pools, plus plenty of builders that try there hand at it! You would be suprised. I have been at it in Thailand for 17 yrs. I actually repair more than I build. A lot have been built by backyard experts. At least 80% have kitchen tiles that are broken and razor sharp dangerous. Hydraulics are a joke. Lots of corners cut with substandard PVC, rebar exposed, wrong size filters or pumps. Sure you can save money by DIY. That is why I offer a consultancy option to oversee the farmers building your pool. It is the old story - do you go to a dentist to get brain surgery?

You get what you pay for!

1 person has winged it and he is an expert and all he does is brag about his 1 pool & denigrates profesionals! Sad really! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

You get what you pay for!

1 person has winged it and he is an expert and all he does is brag about his 1 pool & denigrates profesionals! Sad really! 

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you!

I just started to look into this and can't possibly see the whole picture.

And I would be first to admit that my uninformed first impressions might be totally wrong.

Actually I see your point.

Judging by your posts,  you come across as a very experienced builder who takes pride in what he does (not a common quality in this landscape, unfortunately) and strives to deliver the highest rate final product.

And that obviously could not be done on the cheap.

Edited by unheard
  • Thanks 1

Just now, unheard said:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you!

I just started to look into this and can't possibly see the whole picture.

And I would be first to admit that my uninformed first impressions might be totally wrong.

Actually I see your point.

Judging by your posts,  you come across as a very experienced builder who takes pride in what he does (not a common quality in this landscape, unfortunately) and strives to deliver guaranteed quality.

And that obviously could not be done on the cheap.

Not offended mate! Far from it!

I just like people to be informed. Too many charlatans in this country! Especially builders whom have dubious experience!! (Previously - butchers, bakers & candlestick makers) 5555

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, unheard said:

Sure. For the 2 M a pool is offered by some companies you can have a luxurious house in Thailand. 

However, if somebody can no longer force his wife to buy another diamond ring,  so why not to dip his millions in a pool?  

1 hour ago, Saanim said:

Sure. For the 2 M a pool is offered by some companies you can have a luxurious house in Thailand. 

However, if somebody can no longer force his wife to buy another diamond ring,  so why not to dip his millions in a pool?  

You are obviously refering comparison on a luxurious house to a common farm shack for 2 M. Bahahaha

Take the blinkers off! 

1 hour ago, Bagwain said:

You are obviously refering comparison on a luxurious house to a common farm shack for 2 M. Bahahaha

Take the blinkers off! 

Everybody can compare for himself as per his common sense: Pool with one floor and 4 walls against a house ("a common farm shack for 2 M").

In Thailand where the cement, blocks, tiles are so cheap and the workmanship as well.